More Kiss crap

spawn

Apr 14, 2001
Last Updated: 7/3/2002 8:15:11 PM

PAUL STANLEY: "KISS Fans Are Free To Come And Go As They Please" - July 3, 2002

KISS frontman Paul Stanley has all but admitted that various members of the
group were credited for performing on many of the band's albums even when
session musicians were used to complete the projects instead.

When asked for the reason guest musicians were never credited for their
performances on the group's albums, Stanley replied that "although someone might
say otherwise, in fact everyone wants fantasy over reality. Whether it applies to
people wanting to believe Gene [Simmons] and I co-wrote all the songs our names
appear on (we didn't, we often did little more then help each other finish them) or
believed everyone put in the same amount of time and effort (that too is ridiculous),
the effort was always made to let people see KISS in a way that would be most
appealing. Nothing was ever done, then or now, out of fear of the fans' reaction.
Fans are always free to come and go as they please. It is my job to be true to myself
at all costs. What I believe everyone has always loved about KISS is that we did
things our way regardless of opposition or falling out of favor. My job has always
been to make the best albums possible, do the best shows possible and be the best
KISS possible. At times I've heard misguided comments such as 'Why didn't Ace
[Frehley] and Peter [Criss] have equal songs on the albums?' The answer is
because those songs weren't good enough! Would you rather have had some
material that more than likely wouldn't have stacked up, at the expense of losing
songs you have come to know and love? You can look at the albums and figure it
out for yourself."

In response to a fan's assertion that no other musicians (i.e. Eric Singer, Tommy
Thayer) should ever perform with the group while wearing Ace and Peter's
makeup, Stanley was equally defiant: "The individual makeup and outfits in KISS
are viewed by most as a collective uniform of the team. That is why, when
circumstances make an alternative impossible, even if it's not what you like, the
world as a whole views the four characters as KISS. I'm not talking about who's
under the makeup or in the costume, I'm talking about the collective image. I
understand your point of view. I don't share it. I have never and will never let anyone
decide when I should stop doing what I want. It all ultimately comes down to, we
don't end the ballgame because someone doesn't want to play anymore. The uniform
doesn't have to change, but if necessary the name of who wears it will. Please realize
that this is coming from someone who from day one has always hoped and believed
that the original members would see this through to the very end. I'm still here."

Stanley also reiterated his previous comment that he would love to see KISS
continue without ANY of the original members. Said Paul: "I would still like to
believe that at some point with the right members and a firm understanding of the
band, that it would be possible to continue without any original members. I don't
think that's something I see happening tomorrow, but at some point there is a reality
that everyone must face. Including me."

At least Paul is talking about the MUSIC, its pretty obvious he is the only one that cares about it... I hate to say this, but I wish they would f**k off and retire, all they are doing now is pissing off their die hard fans :(

Paul should do a solo album! :D

I dont know, I think its a great idea, give the 4 new guys new makeup in the same vein, and go with it! Noone puts on a show like Kiss, and if they retire, we are screwed :)

I say bring in the new blood thats hungry for success and ready to rock! :headbang:

I can see what you mean though, Paul is the only one of the original members that can hold his head up :)

Another thing, Paul can write songs until he is 105, but he cant perform at the level he is forever, so he can still have a part in Kiss even if he doesnt play on long world tours :)

I think the Kiss-without-original-members thing is OK - sort of like the James Bond flicks not having any of the original cast. It's a franchise rather than an actual brand, or something. Savatage technically had no original members for a few years (when Jon Oliva just co-wrote, co-produced and performed on every album without being an 'active member' of the band) and they did OK :)