More News on MP3's and CD's

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
I just read (some of you probably already know this) that the recording industry is attempting to issue CD's that can't be copied to MP3's.

You'll be able to make other CD's, but not MP3's.

I use my computer quite a bit for music - and I do buy CD's. I think the MP3 player market may have something to say about this. I currently have a RioVolt which enables me to play 10 hours of music on one CD. I have all 5 Opeth albums in one place. I think taking that technology away would suck.

Any thoughts?

Whatever the recording industry does there will
always be someone as smart, or even smarter,
that will break the "protection" that they spend
lots of money on making.

I don't see why they are even bothered doing it.
Why don't they sit down and find another way of
selling the albums? Like online music etc.
The protection on cd's will be easy to crack >:eek:P

i think it is dumb. i dont like the people who download all these cds and never buy them. but thats not the majority. its kind of funny that they are doing all this mp3 blocking, yet cd sales are very high. i dont get it.

Originally posted by Blackspirit
Whatever the recording industry does there will
always be someone as smart, or even smarter,
that will break the "protection" that they spend
lots of money on making.

I don't see why they are even bothered doing it.
Why don't they sit down and find another way of
selling the albums? Like online music etc.
The protection on cd's will be easy to crack >:eek:P

you're absolutely right. it's just a matter of DAYS.

The record companies will end up shooting themselves in the foot with their avarice.

Like it was mentioned above though, someone will always crack any protective measure used sooner or later. DVD code was once thought unbreakable if I am not mistaken. Leave it to some bored 15 year old to solve that problem.:D

Originally posted by metalmancpa
I just read (some of you probably already know this) that the recording industry is attempting to issue CD's that can't be copied to MP3's.

You'll be able to make other CD's, but not MP3's.

I use my computer quite a bit for music - and I do buy CD's. I think the MP3 player market may have something to say about this. I currently have a RioVolt which enables me to play 10 hours of music on one CD. I have all 5 Opeth albums in one place. I think taking that technology away would suck.

Any thoughts?
sounds like a good idea to me, and its not greed and narrowmindedness that hold back technology, its people misusing it for their own ends, i'm sure that record companies will provide mp3 samples for any bands you want to check out, it just stops lamers downloading and burning albums which is good! bit shitty if you own an mp3 player though :D

Nobody has mentioned that Osmose records already use a protection. Their CD's don't play in the computer and so they can't be copies. The problem is much people listen to music on their computer at work, so now they couldn't play their new Absu, Enslaved or Impaled nazarene CD. This has received many critics and even some people boycotting Osmose-releases.
I think Osmose should do better things with their time in stead of protecting their CD, a protection that by the way already has been cracked, MP3's of the bands are easily to be found at audiogalaxy and other programs.

Originally posted by metalmancpa
Any thoughts?

... until there's a way to stop the mass distribution of MP3s, the record labels are correct in doing whatever they can to protect their copyrights. I predict fair use laws are going to be changed because of the ability to mass distribute music, movies, etc online because it's copyright infringement of the most blatant kind. I'm surprised many people haven't already been heavily sued or arrested.

Lars Ulrich and Metallica were correct on this issue. The backlash against them for their Napster stance just proved to me how whiny, greedy, and stupid the average music listener is.

I predict that the major labels and movie studios are going to pressure lawmakers to allow for greater online restrictions concerning this, and at that point the crackdown will begin. i don't think they'll go after the users of services of audiogalaxy, etc,, but anyone who sets up these things, as well as FTPs, etc, is going to be very, very screwed.

All because people think they don't have to pay for someone else's legitimate product.

the record companies should have taken a harsher stance right from the beginning instead of dismissing the internet as a fad, when i first started using the internet about 7 or 8 years ago mp3's had just surfaced but werent widely available, there were a few sites offering chart mp3's but that was about it, then ftp sites started appearing, and then of course napster, the whole thing has taken off since then, and now that people have been downloading free music since then they arent willing to go back to actually paying for music...now the record companies are on the losing side and are trying to fight back, but i fear its a fight they'll never win...