CD's vs MP3 players...

...my point is an MP3 player is wayyy less maintenance! Apple encoding is a freaking nightmare and the "sync issue" is annoying..that's all I meant..Nextar and Element make great mp3 players...i-tunes in my opinion is just all around TERRIBLE! Just my personal opinion, not trying to start a war.:kickass:

This is still the best mp3 player I've ever used.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/iriver-H340-Digital-Player-Display/dp/B00065W74Q[/ame]

It finally broke down on me last summer after 5 or so years. :cry:

I have an iPod Touch now, and needless to say I miss pretty much everything about the iRiver... ESPECIALLY the .flac support.

...my point is an MP3 player is wayyy less maintenance! Apple encoding is a freaking nightmare and the "sync issue" is annoying..that's all I meant..Nextar and Element make great mp3 players...i-tunes in my opinion is just all around TERRIBLE! Just my personal opinion, not trying to start a war.:kickass:

Haha it's cool, I just thought it was weird. I hate itunes too actually. The cool thing about Ipods though is that they are compatible with most music players -- I sync mine using Foobar, and before I synced it with Winamp. So you're not stuck with Itunes at all.

I also buy CD's and rip them to my PC. I have an 80GB iPod, 4GB Zen, and a 2GB Phillips GoGear AAA powered MP3 player.
As for iTunes the default settings suck. However if one takes the time to set it up the way you want it iTunes is actually an excellent program.
I turned the synch off and manually control my music.

I still require CDs because I can't listen to MP3s at work. MP3 players are not allowed.

I rip all of my CDs to FLAC and have it on a media server here at home. I use JRiver Media Center to transcode to MP3 for my Sansa and the Phatbox in my car. I still don't have everything ripped, but I work on it when I can.

I do buy MP3s off of Amazon occasionally, either from what I can't find easily or music that's really cheap and I don't care much if I lose. Stuff like The Cars, U2, Tron soundtrack, etc. They also have a lot of freebies.

This is still the best mp3 player I've ever used.
MP3 players, as a stand alone device, will likely go the way of the dinosaur. Phones and MP3s players will continue to become one. Eventually, SD RAM will become big enough and cheap enough, that every phone will offer more than enough space to store your music. In the same vein, low-end digital cameras will likely become a thing of the past.

Zod

I've been using MP3 players from Creative Labs solely. I've never had an issue with them, everything is drag-n-drop. My friend is Zune happy, he pays $14.99 a month for unlimited downloads which doesn't sound too bad.

MP3 players, as a stand alone device, will likely go the way of the dinosaur. Phones and MP3s players will continue to become one. Eventually, SD RAM will become big enough and cheap enough, that every phone will offer more than enough space to store your music. In the same vein, low-end digital cameras will likely become a thing of the past.

Zod

Interesting thoughts but I don't think MP3 players will go away. A lot of phone companies charge by the transfer and size for online and downloading mp3s to your phone would jack your bill up. I know there are ways around this, but it's still an obstacle.

A lot of people don't want to work out or jog with their phone in their pocket or strapped to their arm either.

I still prefer cds. I have bought downloads from Amazon, etc. We do use an mp3 player too. One thing I do like about the mp3 player is my 9 year old girl can listen to music without scratching up cds (you know how kids are). But for me i prefer cds. If it does come down to digital I guess I will burn them to cd.

Interesting thoughts but I don't think MP3 players will go away. A lot of phone companies charge by the transfer and size for online and downloading mp3s to your phone would jack your bill up. I know there are ways around this, but it's still an obstacle.
An obstacle? I connect my Blackberry to my PC, via the wire that comes with the Blackberry, and drag and drop MP3s on it like I would to any other USB device or MP3 player. Many phones do this, and those that can't, will fade away. There's simply no reason for people to carry both devices, when one will suffice.

Zod

They haven't found the right spell I assume. :Smug:
Hahaha .. Wyvern has the English language down very well, but not on that occasion. Hell, I struggle with it, and it's the only language I know. :headbang:

Britt

How amusing you both, remind me to kill ya at PPXI :p

I know, I love English but the verbs kill me. If I have more time I will take a course to enhance my language skills.

Like many people who have posted, I'm mixed. I'm going more towards CDs now, but I still download mp3s when the physical discs are something I'd have to import and it would cost more to ship them than the album itself. I use a 16GB Creative Zen which I desperately need to upgrade from. I keep my CDs in a binder, and the jewel cases on a CD shelf I bought. Some of them I'll tape up on my wall, if it is something I've been listening to a lot lately.

The main reasons I buy CDs are for the artwork, an accurate set of lyrics, and sound quality. I don't want to start a snobby argument about it (though this is a forum, so I probably will) but mp3s just cannot reproduce CD sound quality. I did the math and found that CD kbps works out to about 1411 kbps. The most I've ever heard of for an mp3 is 320 kbps.

Like some others have mentioned, there is also the risk of losing your collection. My case of CDs does not leave my room (though some come for a ride in the car, but I keep them in my backpack during the day) and my mp3s are backed up onto the other computer AND an external drive. I've had to send this POS into repairs twice and I will need to send it again soon, but that is for another forum.

An obstacle? I connect my Blackberry to my PC, via the wire that comes with the Blackberry, and drag and drop MP3s on it like I would to any other USB device or MP3 player. Many phones do this, and those that can't, will fade away. There's simply no reason for people to carry both devices, when one will suffice.

Zod

I meant when you're not connected to a PC and are downloading them straight through your phone service. Your method is a "way around" what I mentioned.

Like many people who have posted, I'm mixed. I'm going more towards CDs now, but I still download mp3s when the physical discs are something I'd have to import and it would cost more to ship them than the album itself. I use a 16GB Creative Zen which I desperately need to upgrade from. I keep my CDs in a binder, and the jewel cases on a CD shelf I bought. Some of them I'll tape up on my wall, if it is something I've been listening to a lot lately.

The main reasons I buy CDs are for the artwork, an accurate set of lyrics, and sound quality. I don't want to start a snobby argument about it (though this is a forum, so I probably will) but mp3s just cannot reproduce CD sound quality. I did the math and found that CD kbps works out to about 1411 kbps. The most I've ever heard of for an mp3 is 320 kbps.

Like some others have mentioned, there is also the risk of losing your collection. My case of CDs does not leave my room (though some come for a ride in the car, but I keep them in my backpack during the day) and my mp3s are backed up onto the other computer AND an external drive. I've had to send this POS into repairs twice and I will need to send it again soon, but that is for another forum.

***Yes, cd's are exactly 1411 kbps, BUT, as far as compression goes, 320 bit to the human ears sound identical to uncompressed audio. If you listen to 320 and then the same cd you will not notice the compression.

Tough boat for me- as a journalist more labels are going the way of Ipool downloads, watermarked to protect from uploading. So my hard drive is easier to move back and forth- and then if I want to listen to it on another device it's easier to just put it on an MP3 player. But being into metal for 26+ years of my life, I love having the physical product in my hands- the whole package, liner notes and all.

So I enjoy both. When it comes to my car rides back and forth, I tend to use CD's. At work and within my travels outside, carrying my collection on my hard drive and with MP3 players makes more sense.

As long as I still have my hearing and some device to listen to metal with, that's what I care most about.

Matt

***Yes, cd's are exactly 1411 kbps, BUT, as far as compression goes, 320 bit to the human ears sound identical to uncompressed audio. If you listen to 320 and then the same cd you will not notice the compression.

There's definitely a difference between CD quality and 320kbps mp3. Thats why you rip your CDs in .flac format, no compression at all. :kickass:

My take on this whole "MP3 vs CD" thing.

When it comes down to it, I often prefer to have the actual CD of the bands that I actually enjoy listening to. In fact, I still pull and listen to the CDs in m trusty'ol Denon 5-CD changer.

That being said, I also have an eMusic account and I've found and downloaded a TON of stuff on there. For example, I've found Sonata Arctica's latest on eMusic! I do have an 160 gig iPod Classic (typically used in the car with my Alpine deck, with a direct iPod connection), a 32-gig 2nd gen iPod Touch (mostly play games on it), an 8 gig Creative Zen (use it for working out at the gym) and an ancient Create MuVo Slim with a whopping 512 megs of capacity, (Do still use on occasion, mostly at the pool, since if that one accidentally ended up in the drink, I would not be crying to much).

In addition, I also have an Elan Via!DJ music server, which I use to feed the main rig in the living room, my brand-new outdoor rig on this deck that was JUST completed on Friday, and an old two-channel rig down in the basement (yes, I also still have a record player on that thing as well).

However, the only sources thus far that I've bought digital downloaded music was eMusic, Amazon, and LaLa. I have not bought a single track from iTunes, and most likely never will (although have gotten plenty of games off of iTunes for my Touch).

I love the convenience and portability of the MP3 format,not to mention the direct satisfaction of being able to find, then buy, and then play, an album with just a few mouse clicks. No having to drive out to the "record store", nor having to wait for something to arrive in the mail (in an idea world, I would be able to order a CD, which would open access to download it directly, so I can listen to it while waiting for the actual CD to arrive, not to mention saving the step to rip it into the Elan music server). Didn't the old MP3.com try to do something like this, only to have the RIAA pitch a major fit and pretty much shut them down?

There you have it. I like CDs because I like to have the booklet with the lyric and better sound quality, but I also like MP3s purely for the convenience, especially if I want to take a lot of music for me and more especially on long trips (such as when I drove the 11+ hours to Indy last summer). Also, searching is much easier with MP3s. Kinda annoying to look at my wall of CDs, when I am trying to find the one that I want to play. This is an real issue, especially in large collections which many of us on here seem to have (in my case, dealing with some 10,000 tracks across a couple thousand albums, representing many hundreds of artists).