CD's vs MP3 players...

This is exactly what I do too. Zune as well.

Same here. Zune for me (and my wife) too.

I keep my CDs in binders and until recently had been keeping the jewel cases in storage boxes in the garage. Recently I took all the covers and liner notes out of the jewel cases, put them in storage boxes, and recycled the jewel cases.

I also have Zune Pass which I use like a rental service. I used Zune Pass to get a lot of PPX music ahead of the event, then bought the CDs at the merch tables. There's a lot of stuff Zune Marketplace doesn't have (a handful of PPX and PPXI bands aren't on there), but for what it does have I wouldn't give up my Zune Pass for anything.

[edit] And regarding my nice big stereo in my house, I don't place CDs on that either. I can stream any CD I own out of my Zune software over my wireless network to my Xbox 360. It's a glorious thing. I could just plug my Zune or my computer into my stereo. But the Xbox method has worked very well.

I purchase cd's but upload them to iTunes so I can put the albums on my iPods

Exactly what I do. Anyone that knows me, knows it took years and years for me to actually get an ipod as I am STILL a cd person at heart. Actually, it's quite funny because progpower I think is actually the main reason why I got an ipod. I have a LARGE cd collection and there was no way on the trip to PPUSA IX I was bringing cds with me, so I got the 160 gig ipod. It's very nice to have all of my music in one location. Although, after my mass purchases at Progpower this year I have officially run out of room on my ipod, so I now have to pick and choose what to have on it. I really wish they would come up with a new ipod with more room. But I do have a 1 tb external that holds all my itunes music library.

I will NEVER buy off itunes...for the most part. I want the real thing. I love the disc and the booklet and such. The only time I have bought off itunes is if there's an exclusive or for that first Velvet Revolver album, where it is impossible to upload it to itunes.

Rob Zombie, I don't know if you heard what he says, but he was quoted a couple weeks ago saying his upcoming album is his last cd because the cd will be gone in a year. BULLSHIT!!! No matter what, there will always be cds or vinyl. Something tangible. Will they be as readily available as they once were? No, but there will always be a tangible format. Personally, I buy most stuff off Amazon or one of the indie distributors as there is hardly ever any releases I want that Best Buy or God forbid, FYE has. Think about it though. Do you think touring bands are not gonna bring discs for them to sell? I think not.

I keep my CDs in binders and until recently had been keeping the jewel cases in storage boxes in the garage. Recently I took all the covers and liner notes out of the jewel cases, put them in storage boxes, and recycled the jewel cases.

I will NEVER do that. I know a lot of people whose homes and cars were broken into, and the binders make it very easy for thieves to walk away with hundreds of cd's quickly. Not to mention, they would also probably steal any portable MP3 player or computer, so you'd lose the collection anyways in that fashion.

If someone breaks into my house, they can have fun unloading and carrying 600+ cd's in jewel cases from my shelves. :lol:

As noted by someone above, I will buy cd's and listen to cd's until they stop making them. The convenience of an MP3 player is probably nice, but I'm too busy to listen to music other than in the car, at work, or occasionally at home. Not to mention, I find NO fun in collecting a bunch of MP3's. Buying, storing and looking at cd's is cool though.

I do burn a copy of cd's when I buy them, and use that in the car. So if someone breaks into my car, they're only getting CDR's and not the real thing.

MP3's are awesome for the gym, work and car. When I got my iPod as a gift 5 years ago, I almost returned it. I find that I buy more CD's now that I have it and still haven't used the $25 gift certificate from iTunes I got a few years ago.

With my computer at home still being DOA... I have to have some way to get my music and with radio being the way it is... It's CD's.

MP3 players are awesome for work since i don't have to bring in a million CD's for the day, same thing with the gym.

But nothing really beats throwing on a killer CD and blasting it all the way when you're at home working in the yard, doing house work, etc.

-MetalRose

Exactly what I do. Anyone that knows me, knows it took years and years for me to actually get an ipod as I am STILL a cd person at heart. Actually, it's quite funny because progpower I think is actually the main reason why I got an ipod. I have a LARGE cd collection and there was no way on the trip to PPUSA IX I was bringing cds with me, so I got the 160 gig ipod. It's very nice to have all of my music in one location. Although, after my mass purchases at Progpower this year I have officially run out of room on my ipod, so I now have to pick and choose what to have on it. I really wish they would come up with a new ipod with more room. But I do have a 1 tb external that holds all my itunes music library.

I will NEVER buy off itunes...for the most part. I want the real thing. I love the disc and the booklet and such. The only time I have bought off itunes is if there's an exclusive or for that first Velvet Revolver album, where it is impossible to upload it to itunes.

Rob Zombie, I don't know if you heard what he says, but he was quoted a couple weeks ago saying his upcoming album is his last cd because the cd will be gone in a year. BULLSHIT!!! No matter what, there will always be cds or vinyl. Something tangible. Will they be as readily available as they once were? No, but there will always be a tangible format. Personally, I buy most stuff off Amazon or one of the indie distributors as there is hardly ever any releases I want that Best Buy or God forbid, FYE has. Think about it though. Do you think touring bands are not gonna bring discs for them to sell? I think not.
I have a 30 gig iPod that's full, a 160 iPod that is 5 gigs from being full, I sold my 32 gig 1st gen iPod touch and just purchased a 64 gig iPod Touch to put my cds on it. I put all the albums from the bands for next years ProgPower on my new Touch so I can listen to them at any time I want!! :headbang::headbang:

MP3's are awesome for the gym, work and car.

Curious you mention it because I use tapes for the same purpose, recorded from my CDs. People believe I'm eccentric because of that but I love my Alpine car deck and my Panasonic tape walkman (and I already have a new Sony stored to replace when the other dies :D).

Someday I will have to let the tapes go (because space reasons, I already fill the shelves with recorded and blanks cassettes) and start ripping my CDs and put the music in an iPod (or similar device) :ill:, but until that day I will keep old school.

Curious you mention it because I use tapes for the same purpose, recorded from my CDs. People believe I'm eccentric because of that but I love my Alpine car deck and my Panasonic tape walkman (and I already have a new Sony stored to replace when the other dies :D).

Someday I will have to let the tapes go (because space reasons, I already fill the shelves with recorded and blanks cassettes) and start ripping my CDs and put the music in an iPod (or similar device) :ill:, but until that day I will keep old school.

Wow! That is a little eccentric. I'm surprised you'd go through that trouble. Isn't that a lot of work? Also, doesn't the CD technically have a better quality sound than a tape?

What exactly is the question in the topic? If its mp3 players vs. CD players, then there's absolutely zero reason anyone should ever have to use a CD player anymore. Though purchasing mp3s is pretty stupid, IMO.

Wow! That is a little eccentric. I'm surprised you'd go through that trouble. Isn't that a lot of work? Also, doesn't the CD technically have a better quality sound than a tape?

I know what you mean and you are right on both counts but:

a) to me is not trouble is a hobby. Being obsessive-compulsive :loco: I love to take a weekend and my CDs, blank tapes, calculator, pencil and paper and make a program of what to record on each side on the cassette (Maxell C-90 normal, chrome oxide are not longer available :cry:) that fits actually 47:20 mins.
Right now I have like 90% of my PPX haul waiting to be recorded :cool:.

b) I'm not crazy for sound, as long as I can distinguish the music it works for me :lol:. If you listen to some of my tapes in my walkman you'll probably have a heart attack :p

Not really since that's what backups are for. If you're not already backing up your computer on a regular basis then you're playing with fire.

+1

Seriously, if you're not backing up your files, get on it. You can get a 1TB external hard drive for about $80 these days.

Not really since that's what backups are for. If you're not already backing up your computer on a regular basis then you're playing with fire.

but nothing is as safe as actual CDs. those are the ultimate "back up."

even when a fire ravaged my apartment and thousands of my cds were destroyed and my hard drive ruined i still had CDs to restore what i could. that is why my collection is back up to over 8000+ cds. sure i use an ipod and stuff but i feel better about actually having and maintaining my record collection.

I will NEVER do that. I know a lot of people whose homes and cars were broken into, and the binders make it very easy for thieves to walk away with hundreds of cd's quickly.

They'd have to find the binders first. Since I never use my CD's after I rip them, they're not in plain sight. And any thief would probably shit a brick when they heard/saw my dog, so I'm not too worried. 1000 sq ft house plus big dog plus baby on the way means I have no room for physical CDs any more. Or movies. I sold most of my DVDs at a garage sale. If I ever want to re-watch one, I'll Netflix it.

I usually buy CDs and then rip them to my main desktop 'puter for airplay on SeismicRadio, and then also import them into iTunes for my 80Gb iPod, which is used most often in the car. It's great to have THAT kind of variety on the road.

Most of the metal CDs I buy end up in my WREKage duffle-bag, and I haul them down to the studio each Friday for the show...three 220-CD "books" plus a few boxes of newer CDs, cardboard-sleeve promos, etc.

The other CDs end up on my kitchen counter at the moment, where -- someday, in the fullness of time -- they will join their brethren in the 90-CD plastic box-trays lining the side of my dining nook. :)

As for backups, external drives are so cheap nowadays that there's really no excuse not to have one or two full backups at all times.

Well, the information I've received is all well and good. I looked over my CD collection yesterday and theres no way I will try to convert to MP3. We're talking 9000+ cd's, many of which get pulled out and played as the urge strikes me. It would be nice to have them all accessible on an IPOD or Zune, but I'll hang on to the old school until I can't hold on any longer. Thanks guys for all of your comments. I at least know that mp3 players are becoming the norm instead of the oddity.