MORNINGRISE

Padre Bob de France

New Metal Member
May 31, 2004
I have a great love for the music of Opeth, only Morningrise is an exception to that fact. Am I alone to make this statement?
I don't say it's a bad album but simply I remain impervious to it...

Are You Insane? Morningrise is my favourite opeth album. IMO Ghost Reveries is the best album by them but morningrise remains my favourite. BLACK ROSE IMMORTAL!!!!

Listen to it a few more times, I think it takes the longest to grow on you but once it does your hooked...FO-RE-VER...FO-RE-ver...FO-re-ver...fo-re-ver. (Sorry, THe Sandlot was on recently).

Craziness. Morningrise is my favorite Opeth album, and I've had them all for quite a few years.

Morningrise is great but it takes a while to digest imo its so raw and grainy sounding, an aspect that i think even mike himself has said he dosent like, still life took the longest time to grow on me and only recently has it really clicked with me, i cant stop listening to serenity painted death, moonlapse vertigo etc.

I was initially disappointed with Morningrise, partly due to the fact that it was so highly spoken of that I had very high expectations. When I actually heard it, I did not get it at all. But what everyone says really is true. It's definitely a grower, and a very slow one at that.

Morningrise is great but it takes a while to digest imo its so raw and grainy sounding, an aspect that i think even mike himself has said he dosent like

I believe he said something to the effect of "When I listen to Morningrise now, I can't stand it" in the "Making Of D&D" DVD...

I actually agree with you, Padre. I'm about as big an Opeth fanboy there is, but I have never really taken to Morningrise. If I had to "cast off" one Opeth album, never to hear it again, it wouldn't bother me to get rid of Morningrise. I just can't get into it. Orchid isn't much better, IMHO. They started to shine when they released MAYH.

I think orchid and moringrise are both show a band finding its sound and its way ahead, i do agree theat mayh is fantastic but as a whole i dont think there is a bad album they have released just that some have survived the test of time and still sound more coherent. but ech album when the mood is right shines.

i have in the last few yars since discovering opeth through a magazine review of blackwater park been constantly listening to one album or another as i drive, very few albums by other bands make it past one play then back to an opeth album.

If this means anything gohst reveries, mayh, damnation and deliverance (less so) have been played the most and initially blackwater park.

i find blackwater park needs total attention to get the most from it but both ghost and damnation have for weeks on end and in the case of gohst been in my car cd since been played back to back day in and day out.

i am tiring of ghost slightly but i can think of no other album ive ever played so much back to back.

opeth rules:headbang:

Morningrise was their opus magnum, imo. It definately took a while to get used to. But the main thing I love about it now is the atmosphere it has, it is the grainy sound that makes it that way, and I wouldn't want it any other way

I believe he said something to the effect of "When I listen to Morningrise now, I can't stand it" in the "Making Of D&D" DVD...

actually he says "When i listen to some parts on Morningrise i cant stand it"
but that is pretty understandable though, they obviously had been playing that style for quite a long time at the release of morningrise, and perhaps that sound isn´t as easy to take to the next level in the same vein as the later albums.
But i think it´s a pure masterpiece in that style, and Mike also says so on the dvd.