Votes: 49 67.1%
  • Morningrise

Votes: 24 32.9%

• Total voters
Still Life for me.

With a halo of bitter disease
Black paragon in lingering breath

FuzzyWuzzy said:
Still Life is my favorite cd of all time, out of the 400-500 cds I own I would EASILY pick Still Life...
-Fuzzy

Its the same thing for me pretty much. I love Still Life and easily would take it over Morningrise or most other cds...but I still like morningrise.

By the way...you have a nice avatar if I do say so myself...;) :D.

Still Life is my favourite album from Opeth, only slightly ahead of MAYH. So yeah, I definitely choose it over Morningrise.

But Morningrise is indeed such an incredible album. It's THE album that got me into Opeth in the first place, so it will ALWAYS be close to me. It used to be my favourite album until the others grew on me more.

Man, they're all great. I listen to all my Opeth cd's all the time.

Yeah I'm sick of the polls. No album is really better than the other. And I remember when MAYH was the black sheep album as well. "MAYH sounds years behind Orchid and Morningrise." Every single one of their albums are perfect for the time and compliment one another as their progression continued. All hail Opeth and their mighty musical legacy.

Still Life by a mile. There's no contest at all. None of the songs off Morningrise beat any of the still life songs, bar Benighted. Still Life, along with MAYH, is when Opeth peaked creatively. However - there are certain moments on Morningrise that are some of my favourite opeth moments ever, and Advent was the song that introduced me to Opeth all those years ago so it will always have a place in my heart haha.

Why the hell is this even debated? Still Life blows Morningrise away, both musically and lyrically. Song stucture? A little more solid. Progressive consistencies? A little more solid as well.

I love Morningrise, but Still Life is more than double the fun.

IMO there is 2 categories of opeth fans. Those of the years 2000 and those of the 90's. For the first category, their heart should go for Still Life. Probably because they discover Opeth by listening to more popular, harder, strogner group in the metal scene. For those that are with Opeth since the debut, Morningrise remains and will always remain at the top of our heart. So, in my own, i'll say Morningrise is the best one...

Darktran said:
IMO there is 2 categories of opeth fans. Those of the years 2000 and those of the 90's. For the first category, their heart should go for Still Life. Probably because they discover Opeth by listening to more popular, harder, strogner group in the metal scene. For those that are with Opeth since the debut, Morningrise remains and will always remain at the top of our heart. So, in my own, i'll say Morningrise is the best one...

Theory incorrect. I listened to Opeth before 2000...and I place Still Life above Morningrise. Still is also a much more 'defining' album for Opeth if your view their entire spectrum. Oh, and I also view Orchid as being better than Morningrise.

Though, Morningrise does have my favorite death scream in it. The end of Black Rose Immortal...so fucking beautiful.

"will always remain at the top of our heart."
That bit there kind of disturbs me. There is a difference between loving a classic album and blinding yourself to anything the future may possess.

I heard the albums in this order, beginning in 2002:
Blackwater Park
Morningrise
Damnation (got this right when it came out)
Deliverance
My Arms Your Hearse
Still Life
Orchid
Ghost Reveries

I got them in this order mainly due to availability issues. The first album someone gets does often tend to be the favorite, but not always. My first In Flames album was Clayman, and now I rank that near the bottom of their catalogue. Meh..