Most notable TS/808 overdrive models nowadays ?

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Hello,

Just got interested in getting an overdrive pedal and I liked so far the 808 model... however there are a few options out there and I was curious wether you knew some others, and maybe other types that would be close to TS and specifically a 808 ?

There is the obvious TS9, TS808, the Maxon 808, I also found out about this handmade copy : http://www.rodenberg-amplification.com/eng/gas808_eng.htm this guy also makes a high gain version, the 909...

Price not being a factor unless it's way over the top of course

It's not really I want something different than a regular one, but I want it well built, true bypass, and I figured out there are several other options than the original ones, so if some are interesting I would be happy to know which ones. How does sound that OD9+ pro ?

It's not really I want something different than a regular one, but I want it well built, true bypass, and I figured out there are several other options than the original ones, so if some are interesting I would be happy to know which ones. How does sound that OD9+ pro ?

Well it fits your description, here's my take on it.

First of all, there's 2 "modes" one being the regular OD9 setting which sounds better with a amp that's already tight but needs a little more gain, and then the "boost mode" here's their description

"New to the OD-9 Pro+ is the addition of a switchable Boost feature. Here’s where the real fun begins – In Boost mode the midrange is goosed by +3dB, while high and low frequencies are reduced slightly. With 2 series distortion circuits, the overdrive level in Boost mode is also increased by +10dB, creating a thicker, more saturated overdrive tone."

Compared to my OD808, its more balanced, as in less bass roll off, yet somehow sounds tighter and middier, I went to guitar center one day and tried almost every overdrive pedal they had and the od9+ sounded exactly like I was going for... And as their description says, compared to the OD808 it is definitely thicker and has alot of gain, which is also less noisy compared to my OD808 when on the same settings, maybe because the OD9 has this

"The biggest improvement to the OD-9 circuit comes with the addition of a stabilized DC-DC voltage converter in the power circuit of the Pro+. This voltage converter bumps 9 volts (plus and minus 4.5 volts) up to 18 volts (plus and minus 9 volts). A much wider dynamic range and increased head room are the benefits of this feature, allowing a fuller frequency response and the ability for the pedal to handle today’s ultra high-gain pickups and active electronics. Best yet, the operating voltage is switchable between 9 and 18 via an internal DIP switch that is accessible through the unit’s battery compartment, offering a choice between the classic OD-9 tone and this newer, full-frequency tone"