Movie thread pt. 2 - SEQUELS

MadeInNewJersey

nursing my wounds
Apr 15, 2002
The Ridge
www.discogs.com
JayKeeley just wrote something in the Ring thread that made me think.

How many times has a sequel surpassed the original, in your opinions? It's only happened a handful of times that I can think of off the top of my head, though I'm sure more exist in many genres (and sub-genres) that I'm not even aware of.

My obvious picks, though they're sometimes debated, are:

Godfather 2 > Godfather
Empire Strikes Back > Star Wars
Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo > Breakin'

Ok, just kidding about that last one. Seeing if you're paying attention.

Now discuss.

Evil Dead 2
Terminator 2
Airplane 2

And the original Godfather pwns Godfather 2 left and right, even though they both rule. :D

:guh: Mallrats!? Are you insane!? That movie is such a hideous blemish on Kevin Smith's filmography, he's even publicly apologized for making it!

NAD said:
Evil Dead 2
Terminator 2
Airplane 2

And the original Godfather pwns Godfather 2 left and right, even though they both rule. :D
Evil Dead 2....mmmm, no. It's good and all, but the original? TEH WIKKID!
Terminator 2...good one, agreed.
Airplane 2....blasphemy! The original is one of the funniest movies ever!

Godfather needs it's own thread so I can argue with you and show you why you're so wrong, though they are damned close. I still side with 2.

Black Winter Day said:
it was a fun movie and makes me laugh my ass off. clerks is a good movie, but it is a bit self-indulgent and pseudo-intellectual. give me fat guys cussing out little kids becase he can't see the sailboat, dammit!
Clerks is pretty damned funny, but I too love all that is Mallrats. Brody is my favorite Kevin Smith character of all time.

Brody kicks ass no doubt, but since Clerks is my all time favorite movie, there ya go. :)

Airplane I and II are both timeless classics, and only if I had to pick one would I go with part II. I just like it slightly more. Same with the first two Godfathers, I just enjoy the first one more.

Evil Dead on the other hand, part I is good campy fun, but part II just fuckin' rules.

EDIT: Hang on, which Airplane has the bar fight with the two chicks and the disco scene? Is that part I? Shit, maybe I like that one better. :p

NAD said:
Evil Dead on the other hand, part I is good campy fun, but part II just fuckin' rules.
Other way around you freak. ED I is a horror movie classic. By part II, it became the Bruce Campbell show and was far too slapstick to be a true (tr00?) horror classic.

EDIT: Hang on, which Airplane has the bar fight with the two chicks and the disco scene? Is that part I? Shit, maybe I like that one better. :p
LOL, I'm pretty sure that's part I.

markgugs said:
Other way around you freak. ED I is a horror movie classic. By part II, it became the Bruce Campbell show and was far too slapstick to be a true (tr00?) horror classic.
That's why I like it so much! :cool:

Fuckit, I guess it is the original Airplane I'm thinking of. I used to watch those in reverse order twice a week for years (dubbed VHS baby, YEAH!), so no wonder I get them mixed up. :dopey:

markgugs said:
Empire Strikes Back > Star Wars
You mean, Empire Strikes Back > A New Hope, right? ;) I agree - I think it is the best out of the three. (I don't acknowledge the Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones with them being such poor movies in their own right, regardless of the connection to the Star Wars universe)

Godfather 2 > Godfather ? That's a close call. I can confirm, however, that both are better than Godfather 3. :loco:

Evil Dead 2 > Evil Dead - I could watch Bruce Campbell all day long, and it probably has some of the best dialogue to come out of any genre movie. :cool:

Terminator > Terminator 2 - yeah, better CGI effects, and the 'bad' Terminator was very cool in T2, but they turned Arnie into a fag. And then Ed Furlong ordered him not to kill anyone, so he started shooting people in the leg? In Terminator, he was just relentless - that's what made the film work so well - are we forgetting the scene where he takes out the entire police station? Hasta la vista, baby. :dopey: (Either way, Conan the Barbarian > any Terminator). :worship:

Airplane > Airplane 2 - same jokes, different form of transport - although I did like the sequence where the two jive turkeys have to take the stand in the courtroom, and the spoof on Star Trek with William Shatner was pretty funny. Otherwise, Airplane all the way, just for the auto-pilot inflation and Hare Krishna's selling flowers in the airport terminal. I am serious, and don't call me Shirley. :)

Clerks >>>>>>>> Mallrats - Even Kevin Smith tries to disown Mallrats, it's that bad. Easily his worst IMO, where Clerks is his best. I mean, the dialogue in Clerks probably contains some of the most famous quotes of all time, and even explains why Episode V is better than Episode IV! :D

Others:

Superman 2 > Superman
Blade II > Blade
Toy Story 2 > Toy Story
Friday the 13th part 2 > Friday the 13th

And once upon a time, I would have said Aliens > Alien, but my sanity has since returned. :)