movies based on videogames

dionysus11

MSTmike3K
Feb 28, 2008
Columbus GA
Now as a videogame player, everytime a movie is made based on a videogame to me they always suck big time,and should be on Mystery Science Theater 3000, to teach the jackasses that make them a lesson. Now they are finished making on of my fav. games into a movie, one of my very fav. actors is in the movie, so i might have to change my tune. I'm talking about Tekken with Gary Daniels playing Bryan Fury!! Holy shit Gary Daniels, he is without a doubt one of the greatest martial artest of all time! I have so many of his movies and have been a big fan ever since he was is City Hunter with Jackie Chan, dude is the shit,and he is going to be in the new movie the Expendables with Slyvester Stallone,Dolph Lundgren,and Jet Li,(Mega badass cast). I'm so happy to hear about this, anyway if u haven't heard about it yet i will post a link at the bottem, but first.

There is one movie based off of a videogame that is really amazing, can anyone guess what im talking about, and what movies based off of games do u like!
Tekken movie link below
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0411951/

The Expendables link below
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1320253/

and why not Gary Daniels link below
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0199939/

oh yeah and the other question i wanted to ask was, What games would u like to see made into a good movie done the way u would want it?

The only really good game-based movie is Silent Hill and Final Fantasy Advent of Children in my opinion. The other ones were either mediocre (some Resident Evil ones) or purely shit (Doom, Chun-Li).

Here's games I'd like to see turned into movies, which would all be badass:

Left 4 Dead
Dead Space (it's happening, hooray!)
Fallout 3
Metal Gear Solid
Lost Odyssey
God of War (happening)
Castlevania (happening)
Shadow of the Colossus (happening)
Xenogears (cause one can dream, best game and best storyline EVER!!!!!!)

yes, the DeadSpace Downfall movie is very good, very blood and i really like the animation, and it has Jim Cummings doing a voice in it, He's great! Silent Hill was an ok movie, but not the best too me, I do like the feel and the music to SH movie though they did a good job with that one, but Metal gear solid is one of my picks for the please don't fuck up that movie in 2012 when it is suppose to come out, like if they do something stupid like cast John Cena as Snake or something like that, anyway im nervous about that movie because MGS for the PS1 is my all time fav. Game.

Tomb Raider movies were entertaining enough. I agree about Silent Hill. I'm looking forward to the purported sequel.

I liked RE 1 as well as Silent Hill, and I thought the Tomb Raiders were passable action flicks. I'm looking VERY much forward to the Prince of Persia movie.. not because it looks all that great, but because I am a huge fan of the franchise as well as Jake Gyllenhaal. EDIT: Also, I forgot about Hitman, which was good.

Other than that, I cannot think of a single video game movie that didn't make me cringe. :)

I think Mass Effect would make an incredible live-action movie, and I think the Beyond Good and Evil franchise would make for an excellent animated sci-fi flick.

The Warcraft movie has a lot of promise as well, especially when you look at who is working on it thus far. Most game stories work best as well... games, not movies. I don't know why gamers want to see a movie of their game. I guess they want to see better CGI? I don't know. Hitman was good because it had a simple, yet interesting, premise, and it was filmed and acted well. Doom was... okay... but they completely destroyed the most awesome parts about Doom.

Mass Effect is rumored to being worked on.

I liked Silent Hill too. Max Paine was okay - it wasn't complete crap like most of them. I really liked the Final Fantasy movie (I bought it in fact).

I can't think of any game franchise I'd like to see made into a movie, except for maybe one of the Rainbow 6 because it would just be a Tom Clancy movie.

I just saw Avatar and at times I was thinking "Hey, are we still in the movie or should I be reaching for a game controller?" <jump> <jump> <leap> :heh:

Perils of the times, when game graphics really begin resembling the movies they're based on...and vice-versa.

As for the movie, it's well-worth seeing on the big-screen, but with yer basic cookie-cutter Hollywood -- or even James Cameron -- plot.

The only really good game-based movie is Silent Hill and Final Fantasy Advent of Children in my opinion. The other ones were either mediocre (some Resident Evil ones) or purely shit (Doom, Chun-Li).

While I can understand Silent Hill, in regards to staying with the movie theme...seriously? As a movie it completely missed the mark as a suspense movie. As a non-gamer, I was laughing hysterically throughout most of the movie. It did not cross-over all that well, or should have been released as a different genre.

I do agree with the Final Fantasy, though. That plot line tends to lend better to a movie plot.

no one like the first Mortal Kombat movie? I dug it. Double Dragon was awful. Bloodrayne was good. I do enjoy the Resident Evil movies, to an extent. Silent Hill was good.

no one like the first Mortal Kombat movie? I dug it.

I liked it.....it wasn't Academy Award material but it was better than I think most people expected.

Special note of excellence for the soundtrack, which was pretty diverse to begin with and contained some good metal. As I recall, it was certified gold (maybe platinum?) and contained such gems as Fear Factory, Napalm Death and Type O Negative, plus the world debut of Gravity Kills.

Off-the-wall note: I was pretty good friends with Mutha's Day Out, the band that appears on the soundtrack and in the movie itself, back then. For a while I maintained a small Web presence for them and it's still up now, although the band is long-since defunct. Good kids, and very young when they were signed.

While I can understand Silent Hill, in regards to staying with the movie theme...seriously?

I do agree with the Final Fantasy, though. That plot line tends to lend better to a movie plot.

I feel just the opposite. Silent Hill was a total mindfuck to me, where as FF was "wow, pretty. wtf is going on, and more importantly, do I care?"

Most have been really, really bad. You can blame Uwe Boll directly for making some of the worst films ever. There was even a petition online a while back asking for him to stop.

I liked Mortal Combat. For what it was, it was fun.

The Resident Evil movies have been pretty good as well. I'll watch them from time to time.

Tomb Raider movies were both pretty good.

Hitman was much better than I expected. I'd like to check it out again.

Finally the Tekken Trailer, again Gary FN Daniels

No one has yet to say what I believe to be the greatest movie based on a game, I'm really suprised.

Last edited by a moderator: