Movies

So last nite I watched Män Som Hatar Kvinnor or The Girl
With The Dragon Tattoo
for those ignoramuses of you that don't
speak swedish... oh, wait, I don't speak...
Anyway, I was surprised how good the movie was. Gonna see the
follow up tonite.

Now of course Hollywood is going to be doing a remake of this movie,
I urge you all to not go see it, it's going to fucking suck. See the
original with subtitles.

Hey I actually got the "hatar Kvinnor" part!!!! I'm very happy right now :) .

Will watch it then.

I saw "Knight and Day" a couple of nights ago. All I can say is… what an awesome movie!!! Seriously, judging by the trailers I thought it'd be a waste of my money, but oh Cthulhu I did enjoy that movie a lot! (Despite a fight with the STUPID SCHLAMPE who wouldn't shut up.) I recommend it to everyone!

So last nite I watched Män Som Hatar Kvinnor or The Girl
With The Dragon Tattoo
for those ignoramuses of you that don't
speak swedish... oh, wait, I don't speak...
Anyway, I was surprised how good the movie was. Gonna see the
follow up tonite.

Now of course Hollywood is going to be doing a remake of this movie,
I urge you all to not go see it, it's going to fucking suck. See the
original with subtitles.

I actually pirated this (because it takes for-fucking-ever to get imported media legally in the U.S.). I thought it was fantastic. I think the title change for English territories is probably because many movie goers wouldn't be familiar with the smash hit novels, and might be turned off by the literal "Men Who Hat. Women." It doesn't sound like a movie most of us would want to watch.

Hollywood remakes piss me off. The thing that really gets me is when the take something produced in U.K. English and remake it in American English. I get wanting to watch things in our own languages, but undertaking an entire production to save viewers the effort of hearing an accent and missing a few topical jokes is stupid. They did this with Life on Mars and Coupling; both remakes fell flat on their faces.

If you haven't seen it, check of the BBC production of Wallander. It's the other great Swedish detective series. While there are a number of Swedish adaptations of the novels, the BBC production has some of the coolest cinematography ever and Kenneth Brannagh. It's basically the story of the most miserable human being alive solving crimes like a superhero. In heaven.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjV7970A78Q&[/ame]

Thanks for the recommendations, will watch!

And yes, Hollywood covers are horrible. Especially because the ones originally from the UK don't have a British accent. Most of Hollywood nowadays is crap; they made such great movies, but fame, I guess, got to their heads and so we now have Transformers 1, 2, and The Last Airbender. You get great movies like Inception every now and then, yet they're definitely in the minority.

Just saw "Innan Frosten" (shouldn't I be translating :p ?) the first episode of the Swedish Walllander series. It was pretty good, very intensive with great acting. I'm also very happy because I get a lot of the Svenska parts, so perhaps Rosetta Stone is actually working. The episodes are really long, (89 minutes), which kind of frustrates me since I don't have the time to watch such long episodes. But hey, perhaps in a year I'll have finished the entire series :p .

Next I'll watch Män Som Hatar Kvinnor. As a translator I wonder why they didn't translate as "The Man Who Hated Women", since that's what I got from the title. Hahaha I was struggling to see the "dragon" there, and as I figured it wasn't there at all since dragon is "drake" (hence Draco Malfoy —hehe—). Still, I guess they changed the title to a more catchy one.

One a side note:

Göteborg means "the fort of the Goths". Pretty impressive name, huh?

I haven't seen either of the two Swedish Wallander adaptations. I have nothing against the Swedish language, it's just that the BBC production has two incredible things going for it: incredible cinematography and Kenneth Branagh.

The two novels after "Men Who Hate Women" are both titled "The Girl..." Re-titling the first one gives it a consistent naming scheme. I assume the only reason the first one was published with that title is because they weren't certain that the other two would see the light of day (all of the novels were published posthumously). I should warn you, if you haven't watched it yet, that The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is incredibly disturbing. It features some really incredible violence against its female protagonist. Numerous forms of violence, including the especially awful one. It's ultimately kind of a feminist flick, though. It's just incredibly graphic on the way to that place.

I haven't seen either of the two Swedish Wallander adaptations. I have nothing against the Swedish language, it's just that the BBC production has two incredible things going for it: incredible cinematography and Kenneth Branagh.

The two novels after "Men Who Hate Women" are both titled "The Girl..." Re-titling the first one gives it a consistent naming scheme. I assume the only reason the first one was published with that title is because they weren't certain that the other two would see the light of day (all of the novels were published posthumously). I should warn you, if you haven't watched it yet, that The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is incredibly disturbing. It features some really incredible violence against its female protagonist. Numerous forms of violence, including the especially awful one. It's ultimately kind of a feminist flick, though. It's just incredibly graphic on the way to that place.

Cool, I'll watch the British one too.

Do not worry, friend, I've seen violent movies :) . But thanks for the warning, better not play it when my 13 year-old sister is around.

I've seen all three of the films in that series. Really liked them, though they were indeed disturbing. I am quite sure that Stieg Larsson didn't have any problems with women though, he is known to be a fanatic feminist as well as a communist. I also saw an interview with one of his best friends and he said that Mikael Blomkvist, the male protagonist, is the person whom he always wanted to be.

Oh crap, which is the order? Is Män som hatar kvinnor first?

Yes, yes it is.

I've been thinking about these movies quite a bit lately. Rape is controversial on film because it's often used to "punch up" a script. As in: "This movie is not exciting enough; let's rape someone to excite the audience." What makes Liz such a significant character is that her abuse, on and off screen, is what makes her stronger. Not that it advocates for forging people by flame, but it's good to have a film that gives us genuine female strength instead of another (perfectly normal, and healthy) crying victim. And best of all, not another one of those shrieking, hysterical female sidekicks. She's still completely screwed up, but she's more like the traditional broken-but-tough male hero we're used to (at least in America; I hear you guys have good movies in your countries).

This Cracked article does a good job highlighting the sometimes irritating portrayal of women in movies when it talks about Indiana Jones:

http://www.cracked.com/article_1869...g-characters-from-otherwise-great-movies.html

Just finished watching "Män som hata kvinnor". Very interesting movie, not your typical suspense/detective stuff. I was sad when I discovered that Stieg Larsson died in 2004, pity, he was very young (50).

The movie is quite good, not great, but it's always nice to see movies in Swedish and to get a glimpse of the culture. And it does help me practise my Swedish, I keep getting more and more words (thank you German).

I'm downloading the other two of the Millennium :)p) saga, they do help me cope with the stress caused by the Uni.

the_kings_speech_movie_poster.jpg

The King's Speech

Brilliant movie, I'm totally speechless. Colin Firth's acting is unparalleled, probably one of his best acting ever. You simply forget that you're watching a movie, and let yourself be absorbed by it. The historical importance (despite some inaccuracies) that this movie has is tremendous, since it'll tell the new and coming generations about the King that went into WWII against Germany. What is most important is that it'll show all that was behind… one, uncommonly important, speech.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^Gotta see that shortly, heard nothing but good about it.

As for what not to see, here's a small list:
Prince Of Persia
Sorcerer's Apprentice
Buried

What might be good, but too boring to not have finished yet:
127 Hours

^^Gotta see that shortly, heard nothing but good about it.

As for what not to see, here's a small list:
Prince Of Persia
Sorcerer's Apprentice
Buried

What might be good, but too boring to not have finished yet:
127 Hours

You should, it's simply brilliant; Colin's best acting ever.

Oh yeah I saw the trailer for 127 Hours, seemed interesting.

BTW, have you seen "Låt den rätte komma in"? I downloaded it today, apparently it's pretty good.

You should, it's simply brilliant; Colin's best acting ever.

Oh yeah I saw the trailer for 127 Hours, seemed interesting.

BTW, have you seen "Låt den rätte komma in"? I downloaded it today, apparently it's pretty good.

Låt den rätte komma in is one hell of a great movie; great, natural acting, and a brilliant story. I liked it so much that I downloaded the audio book i Svenska.

Lars von Trier pushes some pretty serious buttons on European PC behavior, but his artwork is genius. Few movies create a genuine depression in the viewer like Dancer in the Dark.

At the same time, the comments that caused this whole firestorm were an awkward, stupid thing to say but not actually a confession of Nazi sympathies.