Movies

Shrek Forever After
Just saw on IMAX and I must say it's much, much better than the third film. Granted, it's not as memorable as the first two, but it brought a fitting end to the franchise with its take on the "reset button" subplot.

Probably the weakest aspect of the film is the Pied Piper, who just looks like he was added at the last minute, as he really doesn't so anything worth mentioning. Also, a lot of key characters such as Gingy and the Three Blind Mice have significantly smaller roles.

Though initially rumored to appear during production, Lord Farquaad is not in this film. King Harold (played by John Cleese) croaked on the third film, but as flashbacks play a huge factor in this film, he's in this one. Arthur, thankfully, is not here, given that he was one of the reasons the third film sucked badly.

As far as the animation goes, it's much better than the third, but there isn't anything new about it. The effects are very good in 3D, though.

So if you were pissed off by Shrek the Third, this film will make up for the lost time.

Rating: :lol::lol::lol: 1/2

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twBD_cLmD9k]Shrek Forever After[/ame]

I watched Avatar on Blue Ray at the weekend.

Didnt see what all the fuss was about, The film wasnt particularly great, the plot was entirely predictable it seemed they wrote a script to show off what computers can do these days.

Very poor and what? 2.5 hours long!!! I could have done that film in 60 minutes easy.

I havent been to the cinema in ages, so my Movie choice will be well behind yours.

Fancy Seeing Robin hood, as in yet another incantation it alleges they portray the true side of him. Well i highly doubt they show him as a thieving murderous thug that he allegedly was, IF he really existed.

Had the misfortune of catching a good part of the proposal whilst my wife watched it. I admit I giggled at a few bits of it (and had my tongue hanging out when Sandra Bulock was naked in the bathroom barely covering her modesty.....for skinny tart she's got some nice curves! )

because I laughed at it what is basically a chick flick, I have decided to go and buy a new bra with matching red shoes. Nice ;)

I watched Avatar on Blue Ray at the weekend.

Didn't see what all the fuss was about, The film wasn't particularly great, the plot was entirely predictable it seemed they wrote a script to show off what computers can do these days.

Very poor and what? 2.5 hours long!!! I could have done that film in 60 minutes easy.

I thought the movie was pretty good. Yes, the storyline leaves much to be desired, but I was in it for the visual effects. After all, movies like this are made to showcase the latest in cinema technology. Of course, Avatar is not for everyone, but $2,728,111,555 in box-office numbers says James Cameron did something right.

Fancy Seeing Robin hood, as in yet another incantation it alleges they portray the true side of him. Well i highly doubt they show him as a thieving murderous thug that he allegedly was, IF he really existed.

Meh. The only Robin Hood movie worth watching is Robin Hood: Men in Tights, starring Cary Elwes.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lUjhEHlh7s]Robin Hood: Men in Tights[/ame]

In other news...

meganfox.jpg

Late last month, Paramount Pictures fired Megan Fox from the set of Transformers 3. This comes after months of Fox spreading unflattering comments toward director Michael Bay and the production team behind the Transformers movies. Fox had starred alongside Shia LaBeouf in the first two films. She co-stars with Josh Brolin and John Malkovich in the upcoming film Jonah Hex, which is based on a DC Comics character.

Meanwhile, Paramount has named Victoria's Secret model Rosie Huntington-Whiteley as the new leading lady of Transformers 3. But the question is: can she act? Does a Transformers film need acting?

Does Transformers need a third installment?

Seems to me they think the second one was good. MOst people I know who saw it would beg to differ.

Another thing ruined, its not even as good as the 80's cartoon series.

Does Transformers need a third installment?

Seems to me they think the second one was good. Most people I know who saw it would beg to differ.

Another thing ruined, its not even as good as the 80's cartoon series.

Like Nav said, Transformers makes money. Of course, I liked the second film, but that's just me. But just to make you feel a little better it won the Golden Raspberry Awards for Worst Picture, Worst Director and Worst Screenplay (and I was rooting for the lousy G.I. Joe movie to win those).

And yes, nothing beats '80s cartoon nostalgia. Unfortunately, because of the success of Transformers, everybody's jumping that bandwagon. A live-action Voltron is in the works. Also, Warner Bros. and Tobey Maguire (the guy who used to be Spider-Man) are planning one for Robotech. Don't be surprised if those two film adaptations bomb.

I'm just a bit fed up with movies in general at the moment.
Its just re-hashes, sequels etc. And none of them are much cop.

Yup, Hollywood has completely run out of ideas. Take this week's upcoming movies, for example. What's the point of The Karate Kid if Jaden Smith is learning kung-fu from Jackie Chan? And The A-Team without Mr. T is absolute blasphemy. I pity the fool that made that movie!

Well, yeah thats true.

I'm just a bit fed up with movies in general at the moment.
Its just re-hashes, sequels etc. And none of them are much cop.

A lot of it comes down to movie financing in a difficult economic environment:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/37494469/ns/today-entertainment/

A producer going to a movie financier going "Hi. I'd like to make a original movie starring Mr. A-list actor, that involves a guy who dresses up in scary clothes and kills people. We're gonna call it "Slash of Death". We'd like $20M please.

Financier: "Um. nah. It'll probaby open up at #9 and do horrible DVD sales. No thanks".
Producer: "Um, how about we buy the rights (which are cheap) and call it "rebooted Nightmare on Elm Street"?
Financier: "Awesome! It'll open up #3 now and have great DVD sales and we can save on marketing costs cuz fanboys will create tons of internet threads. Here's $30M!"

Original movies/scripts are very risky when it comes to big budget stuff. Esp nowadays when everyone is holding onto their money tightly.

n

The A-Team
So I decided to bite the bullet and watch this film last night. Surprisingly, it's not as bad as I had expected it to be.

Like the original TV series, the storyline is filled with more cliches than you can shake a stick at. There are numerous nods and references to the TV series throughout the film, such as the iconic GMC Custom Van (which lasts only 5 minutes) and the A-Team's tactical plans (minus the montages). The action is fast-paced as expected. Unfortunately, it's all marred by the overly nauseous camera movements.

But how were the actors? Liam Neeson's portrayal of Hannibal Smith is enough to make the late George Peppard smile. It's just too bad the film doesn't portray him as a master of disguise like in the TV series. Bradley Cooper's version of Templeton "Faceman" Peck is a much more active character than the TV incarnation (which was played by Dirk Benedict), as he splits the tactical plannings with Hannibal rather than just following them. Sharlto Copley just tries too hard to emulate Dwight Schultz's portrayal of "Howling Mad" Murdock; for some reason, he's just not as funny. As for the role of B.A. Baracus, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson just doesn't fill Mr. T's shoes. Sure, he has the mohawk and some tattoos on his hands ("Pity" on the left and "Fool" on the right) that reference Mr. T, but aside from the fear of heights, the film version of B.A. is a completely different character. And while B.A. was the strongest part of the TV series, he is sadly the weakest part of this movie. As for Jessica Biel, well, she's just there for the same reason every other movie has her: eye candy. The cameo appearances of Dirk Benedict and Dwight Schultz make up for some of the character drawbacks of the film.

Overall, The A-Team is an okay popcorn flick. The hardcore fan of the TV series will either love it or hate it; otherwise, if you're an action junkie, this will do.

Rating: :kickass::kickass::kickass:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM0ypzvuphg]The A-Team[/ame]

Toy Story 3
This is easily the best movie of 2010, as it brings closure to the adventures of Woody, Buzz Lightyear and friends. It's really hard to say which of the Toy Story trilogy is the best, as they all are perfect, but this one is a real tear-jerker in the end. Those who don't cry when watching this film probably have no soul.

Rating: :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_FfHA5whXc]Toy Story 3[/ame]

Inception
Ever since Memento was released in 2000, Christopher Nolan has been one of my all-time favorite film writers and directors. And yet again, he hits a home run with his latest film. Stunning performances by Leonardo DiCaprio, Ken Watanabe (Ra's al Ghul in Batman Begins), Cillian Murphy (Dr. Crane/Scarecrow in Batman Begins, Rippner in Red Eye) and Marion Cotillard (Billie in Public Enemies), as well as a notable appearance by the legendary Michael Caine. The storyline and visual effects are mind-boggling - exactly what you expect from the same team that did Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. This movie is just what The Matrix should've been.

Rating::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66TuSJo4dZM]Inception[/ame]

Who in here remembers an old '70s cartoon called Battle of the Planets (a.k.a. G-Force)? Apparently, there's a computer-generated animation remake of the series in the works, and it's going by its original Japanese title.

Perhaps our resident CGI expert Big Momma Nav has some thoughts on it. ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUc_w8MI7zQ]Gatchaman[/ame]

I was a huge fan of battle of the planets in the early 80's
I even had a fiery phoenix t-shirt!!!

I liked your review of the A-Team. Havent see it yet, just hitting cinemas over her I think. I am a huge fan of the series but it started getting a bit crap about series 4.

inception, funnily enough I was talking to my wife about this last night. I would like to see it, but I hate DiCaprio with a passion and will NOT watch anything with him in it. I still havent seen Titanic....didnt see the point.... I know it sinks :loco:

Lesbian Vampire killers was the last movie I watched, and I have to say whilst the wife found it incredibly unfunny, its been a long time since I laughed so much at a movie. The last one was Shaun of the dead.
The humour is so British and so male, its immature and often coarse, but well its hilarious.

inception, funnily enough I was talking to my wife about this last night. I would like to see it, but I hate DiCaprio with a passion and will NOT watch anything with him in it. I still havent seen Titanic....didnt see the point.... I know it sinks :loco:

Wow...you hate DiCaprio without having seen Titanic? That's a first. :loco:

Personally, I can't stand him, either. I avoided his movies after Titanic, but ever since The Departed, his acting's become tolerable. Besides, I think Christopher Nolan needed to cast a total douchebag for the lead character (Tom Cruise would've been out of the question, Christian Bale would've made this yet another Batman movie, and Hayden Christensen is not worth the time and effort), and DiCaprio fit the bill perfectly.

Tekken
Oh joy, another movie based on a video game. Just what we need. Much like the two films based on Street Fighter II, this adaptation of the Tekken game series is just downright craptacular. Laughable acting, bland storyline and horrid pacing make for a bad viewing experience. And if you're a fan of the game, stay away from it, as you might end up breaking something if you watch it.

Rating: :puke::puke::puke::puke:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWVTLLPwaQc]Tekken[/ame]