MP3 Download Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
"...yet when looking at any thread on the subject (including this one), the MP3-downloaders are always the most silent part."

Maybe they don't know what to say in their defense and think it's best to just keep quiet...or not!

well, i look at it this way, i downloaded deliverance, loved it as i knew i would, and went out and bought it, then about 2 weeks later bought a copy for my girlfriend, so i think i am doing it justice i havnt downloaded a cd that i liked yet that i didnt go out and buy it

Originally posted by nrage
<rant>
To those who just want to download mp3s and not buy any CDs from a band: you should be ashamed of yourselves. Imagine if you were in a band (or running a business or whatever) and people were stealing from you. Would you like that? Would you like it if I came to your house and stole all your cds? Hey its free, right?

</rant>

This has to be one of the only threads on this board where people seem to think the same I way I do about this issue.

I've made statements similar to the one above on other threads, and gotten openly attacked over them - people saying "you can't say I'm not a fan just 'cuz I downloaded something!"

Well, if you download a band's music and listen to it all the time, and then NEVER BUY ANY OF THEIR RECORDS, then you AIN'T NO FAN, buddy. The end.

If you respect a band, you'll support them and buy their records.

Originally posted by frayededges
This has to be one of the only threads on this board where people seem to think the same I way I do about this issue.

I've made statements similar to the one above on other threads, and gotten openly attacked over them - people saying "you can't say I'm not a fan just 'cuz I downloaded something!"

Well, if you download a band's music and listen to it all the time, and then NEVER BUY ANY OF THEIR RECORDS, then you AIN'T NO FAN, buddy. The end.

If you respect a band, you'll support them and buy their records.

On the flip side - what about those who scrape up enough money to buy an overpriced CD, only to find one good song and the rest crap? As a consumer, why should you stand for a sub-par product?

(I'm only providing a counterpoint here, as I have well over 400 CD's from those bands I "respect")

<---downloaded Delivernace then ordered the CD from my local record store..Was unable to download ALL of Deliverance, has bought Opeth t-shirts owns every Opeth CD, and has seen Opeth here in the USA three times and counting..Yes, I support the band..I keep downloading links to my self as I don't post them on Opeth's official BB..Consistently buys CD's after I download a track or two from a band and sample thier music..Then I see them live and buy thier concert tickets and t-shirts..Thanks to Napster,
mp3.com and various file sharing services I have broadned my taste in metal..
Mp3's are NOT a replacement for supporting the band and buying thier CD's but simply a sampler for hard to find outt of print CD's or imports..Nuff said..

Mr. Niel said:
Hello, beyond the fact that my name is niel and I am GAY!!! not to metion drunk as poop, I would like to say that this alubm is the shit. I would suck mad cock to see this alubm preformed live in my hometown of gayville, MS. I am GAY.:D
lol.gif

Fuck when I first came across this post I couldn't stop laughing.

His avatar even goes with that post hahaha

Man that was a good laugh.

I'm sorry for my previous thread about wanting to know about where people got to hear the new album. I get a bit carried away sometimes. I can wait until April!!!

well, I saw em live last weekend at rock city and mike made a comment after the set, the DJ played one of the new tracks, and mike said with a smile 'for those of you who havent already downloaded it'

ever heard of FTI..?
the whole mp3 issue is practically debated everyday by somebody, i'll just stick my two cents in. an artist by the name of Tech N9ne(maybe you heard of him..more than likely not) has a strong feeling towards the file sharing community..most record companies want to completely illegalize file sharing(which still wont stop it) because the companies themselves know most of their artists are bullshit and their cds only have like two good songs on them..and because of file sharing...people can see that. Tech N9ne has put his albums up for download all over the internet for free..and he is still selling amazing amounts..why? because he knows his music is good and he puts in the effort and he knows people will buy the album regardless if its up to download for free, and i can only applaud him for this. im not trying to say that Opeth will be one of the so called "bullshit" bands(taking into consideration their past releases will always keep a place on my cd rack for the rest of all time)..the thing is..what if the new album is complete shit? dont flame me yet...sometimes artists take a wrong turn with some albums..it happens..whats to say the upcoming album is the worst yet? file sharing allows you to preview a cd to see if you enjoy the album before you buy it(why would you buy a terrible album..unless you wanted to complete a bands collection of cds or you're too loyal to not pick it up).

to address something else...are you a fan if you download the music but dont buy an album? i dont think so...fan is short for fanatic, downloading mp3's isnt quite fanatic like. sure you could like the music..or enjoy opeth..but to call yourself a fan is wrong in every accord. if you're a fan...support the band you love..buy the album...i know that every 'fan' of opeth will buy the new album no matter what.

however im on the fence on this entire issue...getting rid of mp3 sharing in its entirety, i am not for. i'll preview an album..and if i like it..of course i'll buy it..but if i dont..then why waste the time? im not going to buy a cd just because the bands previous efforts were great..thats just a sign of a band not even trying anymore and just riding on the money that they know they'll get from the die hard fans(which is a path many a band has gone down). but i dont think its right to download an album you love..and not go out and buy it.

so yeah...oh and..hi..the name's 4..i'll be your brand spanking new board member for the day ;]

my one point about that, is that if you dont like the album, delete the mp3s, it's one thing paying for a quality album, it's another getting a mediocre album for free.. just my veiwpoint

Hello

I handle this like this.

First I download an album from the Internet. Then I listen to it. Start liking it. Then I buy it.

It happened so with Blackwather Park, Deliverance and Damnation. I've downloaded them all. And after they came into the shops I've bought them all. BTW I've bought all Opeth albums.

I'm just a person who can't choose music in the music store. I need to be at home and listen to the music in tranquillity. If I have to decide in the shop, it just doesn't work for me. I just can't decide in the shops. If I do so, I buy all stupid CD's.
If I've downloaded a CD i don't like, I won't buy it. But i won't keep on listening to it either. This ist pretymuch the same if I would listen to a CD in a shop and not buying it. It just fits my needs of peacefullnes in listening to music better then being forced to be pushing to some shity CD player in the shop and listen to the music whyle I'm standing. And dare me listening to a CD for to long or to many of them.
Since the Internet gives me the choice of testing albums propperly before buying them, I don't have the hassle with beeing anoyed in the shop. Now I go to the shop and say:
"can you give me this and this and this CD please". Pay and of I go.

By the way, I wouldn't be happy with the downloaded Albums anyway. Althow they are in a astonishing good quality. I have no cover and nothing in my hands to put into the CD Player and no support of the artists of course. Half my family lives of making music. I wouldn't like these family members to be out of money either.

If more bands would offer save prelistening possibilities, like real media, or others, I would make use of this. For me this would be a good replace for the illegal things I have to do for my decicion on what CD's I buy now.

Regards

Crazy Ghost

it was just pissing me off seeing this thread at 59 messages!! make it an even 60..

Pshh.. Downloading mp3's is not saying you're not going to buy the CD! I am a proud supporter of downloading mp3's! If i listen to a CD and find ONE or TWO good songs.. im not going to waste my money and buy it.. And no im not going to delete the files either!!

I buy enough CD's to support the artists i think deserve support!

The only artists crying about being ripped off are the ones who cant put out a half decent CD (*cough METALLICA COUGH*).

I found basically ALL my favourite bands through mp3's. I only bought.. hmm about 100 CD's based on MP3's. thats close to $3000!!!

So yeah.. hmm ... What a surprise that music sales are down.. MUSIC FOR THE LAST FIVE YEARS HAS GONE DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN HILL!! SURE BLAME IT ON THE simplest solution.. ITS MP3's!!

Goodnight.

oh yeah.. about the subject of this thread heh. Downloading CD's before they are out.. boo blame it on the people who leak it!! obviously people are going to download it if its out!! that doesnt mean the people who download it early arent going to buy the MOFO cd..

Anyway.. im done..

Mp3 = good
Fire = good
money = good
napster = bad haha..

A band that won't sell because they put out mediocre crap has a life expectancy of.. an album. Speaking strictly for myself, I will sample ERVERYTHING before putting my bucks on it. COB, EVERGREY, Norther, Sinergy shit name it. It is the right of the consumer to taste the goods. You buy a car by word of mouth? Hell no! I've purchased over twenty CD's this year alone, some twice to support a good band. I have also cursed other bands for carrying single song albums that are promoted to infinite with no more good material contained within the rest of the album. If you are a shitty artist people will take your one good song, rip it on mp3 discart the dead meat and not buy your filler album!! It is evolution, fittest of the best. Don't like it? Stick to vinyl and cumbaya fireside singing! :devil:

Downloaded three Opeth song tonight... Bought four albums tonight YOU DO THE MATH!!!

Nice point! Music this good is worth $50! I have no problem with Opeth's dislike of mp3s and pirating. I wish Opeth could become rich off their record sales because they seriously deserve it. They would also be able to play at bigger venues and go a lot more places! If you enjoy their music you should respect their ideals and don't ever compare them to Lars!

Status
Not open for further replies.