Mstering Challenge?

Yeah the Vintage Warmer is a fantastic thing to have at the end of any home mastering chain. It just adds that final touch.

Out of the masters I've heard so far, I like Ronnie's the most I think. It stands to reason as he knows how his material is meant to sound... What I was surprised about is that his and mine are somewhat similar, except he has more crunch and presence left in the guitars, and the compressor pumping isn't as audible.

That's one thing I have to work on. Smoothing my compression out. The damn thing is like an artform. I think the reduced quality of mine might have to do something with my ASIO drivers only operating at 24/48khz, so I actually had to upsample the mp3 and then downsample again.. no good.

Good stuff from everyone.

Well here's my try:
http://www.freefileupload.net/file.php?file=files/210406/1145610518/Bleeding+Mastered-03.mp3
Spent about 1.5 hrs on it, i guess, over 2 sessions, the first of which my pc/ cubase fucked up so i had to start again.
Mastering chain: Q Filter -> "Multi band compressor" -> VST Dynamics
I dont have any non-standard plugins for Cubase, so think/ say what you will.

I used Arch Enemy's Doomsday Machine to A/B, and will now go and listen to everyone elses mastering. I didnt want to have any idea as to how anyone else mastered so that it would be more of what i thought as opose to what i thought others wanted it to be.

Daniel

I agree. That's where the challenge in mastering is for me. Not having the low end pump... it's something I've yet to get a hang of. It's easy to get plenty of level if you cut all the lows... but that just leaves you with a weak mix.