Mastering Challenge - give it your best shot!

Jan 10, 2005
Ok, I had this up in another thread, but I figured a dedicated thread would get more attention. Here are all of the original tracks from the demo in a 16MB zip file, 7 tracks total:

YouSendIt ZIP

Here is the SoundClick page where all of the re-masters you guys do are going. So far it's just me and COBHC up there:

Mastering Challenge SC Page

And, for reference, the original tracks on SoundClick as well so you can hear a quick stream of them before downloading the 16MB zip:

Molotov Politics - original tracks

So anyone interested please give it a shot. I think this would be a fun thing to kill some time with. Even if you think you suck, re-master it anyway, it's all in good fun. Do it and put it up on yousendit.com and post the link, I'll upload it to the SC page as soon as I see it. Re-master away! :)

~006

Sounds interesting...give me a couple days and I'll give it a shot. I'd like to compare and contrast with others mastering to see what others are doing I might like better.

LOL! Great way to get caught up on work!!

I was thinking of doing the same thing but I figured everyone would want to kick my ass.

I might try to do one track if I have time.

Damn, I'm out. I just checked track two and it is already greatly compressed.

Did you check the ORIGINAL track 2 MKS? The original tracks, if I recall, have very little compression, if any at all. For the most part it was faintly ran through T-Racks back then, mostly for an overall eq and limiter.

I love hearing this now, because it's a snapshot of my skills from back in the day when I first started, I mean, this was the very first time I ever mic'ed and recorded a set of drums, vocals, recorded bass guitar...I was a complete n00b back then. My experience was limited to recording POD 2.0 guitars over FruityLoops 3.4 drums on N-Track Studio at my house on tiny PC speakers, lol. This was quite an overwhelming session, especially since I was picked to tackle everything myself, and I must say that in my opinion I did an "alright" job overall. I can hear now all of the mistakes I made with this, and it's kind of wierd to see my progression as time went by. Listening to this and listening to a band I finished yesterday...night and day.

Anyway, yeah, everyone even slightly interested, PLEASE give it a go. It's fun. I can't wait to hear everyone else's take on it. :)

~006

Also, just to make this even more interesting, post what plug-ins/outboard gear you used along with the clip of your shot. If you have screenshots of the plug-in settings, send them to 006productions@gmail.com and I'll put them in a photobucket album for everyone to check out. Just to keep it all organized and whatnot :).

~006

Ok guys, here's the photobucket album, so far it's just cobhc's screens, but it gives a great view into the guy's approach to a very good re-master.

Mastering Challenge - cobhc screens

I'll be sure to upload the two new shots asap, gonna go grab a bite to eat real fast. By the way, can you two guys e-mail me the screen shots of your plugs and settings? Thanks.

~006

Hmm.. I thought the 16mb zip file was going to contain 7 individual time aligned takes ie; separate instruments, not complete tunes! =)

Oh, sorry. Yeah, it's a really old demo I did a long time ago (4 years?) and it has already been mastered back then, just really crappy, my fault heh. Ether you should really give it a shot though! I'd love to hear your take on it.

~006

Yeah, now that I think about it, I wish I still had the original session files so I could give you guys all the tracks so we could hear a master *and* mix...but alas it's long gone, :\.

~006