Mulholland Dr. ?

I watched it once when i was in a B&B, the other lads insisted on staying up to watch it cos they heard it had some lesbian action in it :tickled:

it was alright but i was too sleepy to pay attention

I think it stomped the hell out of all the rest of his work, even Lost Highway. It was as dark as it got.

I thought it was easily decipherable as well, but seriously disturbing.

One thing I'm glad of is that I have had the sound track for about a year now, since I'm a huge Badalamenti fan, and have been listening to it a lot, so it is well established in my mind as something seperate from the film, otherwise I wouldn't be able to listen to it again. I don't think that will change.

pistol_pete said:
tell me what happened then

It's been well over a year since I've seen it, so this may be slightly hazy, but from memory - the main character was having an lesbian affair with a co-star of a film she's appearing in. Her lover, however, uses her, and then gets engaged to the film's director. The main lady is pissed, and hires a hitman to kill her co-star. When the hit is done he'll leave a blue key at her flat to say so.

So.... The first half of the film is all set in a dream following this; that's why the characters from the "real" part of the story you meet later all appear here, and it's pretty much a way of the main character blaming everything that's happened to her on some big conspiracy rather than facing the truth (i.e. she has little talent and is failing at most things she tries). It also explains why the director is totally fucked over in her dream, as she hates him.

Then, once she has opened the box with the blue key (or maybe it was that opera singing weird scene? Can't quite remember) the main character wakes up from her dream, and the rest of the film is what actually happened/the real plot of the movie. From flashbacks to the present. I seem to recall she feels kinda guilty for getting her lover killed and commits suicide at the end.

That help? :)

This is what I think. At the apartment complex that she shot herself in, the woman who said that she had exchanged apartments with her is the person she had a relationship with. All of the rest, except for the fact that she did come from Ontario and met the two old people on the plane, and she was looking for acting work, all the rest was in her mind.
She came to LA looking for work and met that other woman in the apartment complex, who came to her door to get her box of stuff near the end. She had a relationship with her and then they broke up. From that point, she descended into a dillusional psychosis, not leaving her apartment for weeks. The blue key was real, it was the key to her apartment that her ex. gave back to her.
Everything else was a backwash of symbolic psychosis for her coming to the point of shooting herself.
In the restaurant where she hired the hitman is the main turning point for her, the point that she decided within this psychosis that she wanted out and went past the point of return. The blue box is her mind. The blue key, the finallity of her girlfrind returning it, totally ending the relationship, was the thing that started her in the descent.
The old people in the end was the thing she remembered as the point where she stepped off the plane in LA to lose her innocence, and they were her last innocent encounter, so, in her mind in the end, they got demonized, in fact her innocence, her only true thing before that she had to hold onto, became completely corrupted, as in destroyed, the only way that she previously knew how to live sanely. Hence, the overall theft of this posession of innocence took her sanity.

I think Lynch is real specific in all his films what he means. That's what makes him so great because it's all so abstract, yet totally specific in intent, and when you get it, it really blows you away how complex his symbolism gets in creating a direct purposeful statement.

great movie. my fave of lynch is lost highway, though. eraserhead is pretty fucked up, too. gee im so indie haha

"the cowboy" is one of the most curious characters i've ever seen on cinema. and this movie is also great criticism towards the film industry.

Don Corleone said:
great movie. my fave of lynch is lost highway, though. eraserhead is pretty fucked up, too. gee im so indie haha

"the cowboy" is one of the most curious characters i've ever seen on cinema. and this movie is also great criticism towards the film industry.

I've yet to see Eraserhead :( I really should sometime soon...

What it meant to me was that I fell asleep while watching it, hehe, the blokes of course insisted on the lesbian bits. How stereotypical, pffffff.

Okay, I liked the lesbian bits too, but apart from that *zzzzzzzzzz*