Muse - where to start?

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
I'm only vaguely familiar with this band. I'm not sure I really like what I've heard by them yet, but I wanna give them a try. Which album of theirs represents their sound best? How would you briefly summarise the music on their discs, etc?

Go for Absolution, then move on to the new album Black Holes and Revalations. I can't decide which is better, but Absolution is commonly though of as their best. Then go for Origin of Symmtry, Showbiz and Muscle Museum.

leave the first album, showbiz, for later, batmura. like power's i'd say you start out with their most mature release, absolution. all killers on that one.

download "stockholm syndrome" or "hurricanes and butterflies" to get an idea. if you dont like these two tracks, then it means muse doesnt have much to offer you.

and with you being a fan of progressive music, im sure muse will really surprise you at times. mat bellamy is a fantastic songwriter and an amazing guitar player with a very very unique style (i had the chance to see that with my own eyes on the weekend). cheers

Guys, sorry if I'm being ignorant, but those few Muse bits I've heard had a strange Radiohead vibe going on. Were these guys influenced by Radiohead in any phase of their career? Who else does this band cite as influences?

I've been checking out some Absolution reviews. Seems I may enjoy it quite a bit.

More thoughts are welcome.

Absolution definetly!

As for the muse - radiohead stuff. I've never considered them to be very similar other than matt singing falsetto at times, and that doesn't quite cut it as an influence.

Yea! They're doing now what Radiohead could have done about 7 years ago, instead they went a bit more ambient, Muse are getting hevaier and more progressive with every album. Bellamy states his vocal influences as being Thom Yorke and Freddy Mercury, his guitar as being Buckley and Morello. Being the driving force of the band, I'm sure it mostly his influences that come through the music, although I've no doubt Wolstenholme and Howard have heroes on their repective instruments.

Hmm no a lot of people I have noticed compare them to Radiohead. I can see why some people might make that comparison on initial impressions but really the 2 bands are entirely different.

I think the Radiohead comparisons mainly come from Matt Bellamy's voice which sounds quite a bit like Thom Yorke. Musically I see little to no similarity between the two bands.

^ Agreed.

Origin of Symmetry is their masterpiece but you cannot go wrong with Muse.

Bellamy is quite a talented mofo, what the guy cannot do ???

Muse > Radiohead

Don't misundertand me, I love Radiohead but I prefer the metal/epic vibe of Muse.
And Muse have a much better drummer and live they destroy. Best trio since Rush !
Radiohead is so fucking depressing.
Yorke should start watching Adam Sandler movies or something.

lmao.

Radiohead > Muse by a longshot. not to say that muse is a bad band, but to compare them to radiohead is deserving of an ass kicking.

all_sins_undone said:
lmao.

Radiohead > Muse by a longshot. not to say that muse is a bad band, but to compare them to radiohead is deserving of an ass kicking.

give me a P
give me a E
give me a R
give me a I
give me a O
give me a D

Death_To_False_Metal said:
^ Agreed.

Origin of Symmetry is their masterpiece but you cannot go wrong with Muse.

Bellamy is quite a talented mofo, what the guy cannot do ???

Muse > Radiohead

Don't misundertand me, I love Radiohead but I prefer the metal/epic vibe of Muse.
And Muse have a much better drummer and live they destroy. Best trio since Rush !
Radiohead is so fucking depressing.
Yorke should start watching Adam Sandler movies or something.

Opeth is more depressing than Radiohead, for what it's worth. imo iircimho.