Muse - where to start?

theres nothing wrong with them, it just seems like almost every muse song follows that same sort of arpeggio thing. I actually like muse, but sometimes it gets a bit old.

Personally i think all of the albums, bar Showbiz, are outstanding. Although Showbiz has it's moments, a lot of the songs are more basic compared to what they would soon move onto. Absolution is the best place to start from with songs like Apocalypse Please? and Ruled By Secrecy.. Then Origin Of Symmetry, Black Holes And Revelations .. Finishing with Showbiz. The only comparison to Radiohead really is in the vocals.. Otherwise i don't see/hear it. They are incredible live too.

I guess I discovered Muse a bit late (judging by when this thread started), but I'm listening to absolution right now, I'm liking it a lot.

'Origin of Symmetry' was the first Muse album I bought, and it was enough, but I'd recommend 'Absolution' first. It might be more 'commercial', but I think it's freaking awesome. 'Blackout' is an amazingly beautiful song. My ONLY complaint with Muse is this: Must he inhale so sharply and audibly before singing every fucking line? God, it kills me. I understand it's probably deliberate, for 'emotion', but to me, it's just distracting as hell. Other than that, his voice reminds me a bit of Jeff Buckley's, so you can't go wrong there.

Then, if you like Muse, check out Imogen Heap. They aren't similar, but she's awesome, too.

I am inclined to Muse's music.I'd definately start off with Origin Of Symmetry,clearly the best album by a distance.Absolution isn't bad,though I feel it does get a bit cheesy with too many of their tracks from it being a wee too radio friendly.

I bought H.A.A.R.P awhile ago, and that performance blew me away. Live, they are way better than they are in studio. Other than that, I just had Starlight and Knights of Cydonia off of Black Holes and Revelations, but I began to go deeper and get more albums and from that, I found that OoS is probably the best, but Absolution is still very good.

Pretty cool to see that I'm not the only Muse and Opeth fan.....

I'd pretty much agree that to start, Absolution is probably a good choice, but imo OOS is better.
I would actually also suggest to go outside the normal albums, and try to listen to some of their B-sides, like "In your world" or "Dead star".

Another good tip is something that's already been mentioned, which is the fact that Muse truly are better live than in the studio, so try to get some live shows :)
I guess the Absolution-era live shows would be best to start off with, cause then you get more or less the full package, which would be songs from both Absolution AND OOS (which are their best albums) but probably also some goodies from Showbiz, or B-sides or whatever :)

It can be a bit hard to get into Muse though, it sure took me a while tbh :p haha, but yeah been loving them for years now :D

Edit : Added a couple of vids.

Muse - Dead star​

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdcIf77MiFA&feature=related[/ame]
Muse - In your world​

Last edited by a moderator: