Music Flavor?

SugarNspice

OhSuziQ
Apr 1, 2005
Ok everyone, have to choose one, what's it gonna be?

Favorite style:

Thrash
Progressive Metal
Good Ol' Regular Heavy metal?

Like em all, like em all, but I would have to say I'm leaning a little more to Progressive Metal for an answer, but I'm a fan of all, but if I had to choose one, I guess progressive it is! Voila! I chose! Next??????!

Traditional
Power
Doom
Thrash
Prog

allergic to black/death

I am NOT allergic about Black/Death... but VERY picky :loco:

My fav of course is TRADITIONAL first and foremost :)

Hmmm... I guess I like classic rock, because that's what Maiden, Sabbath, Priest, Zep, Metallica, Queen, etc. are all called now...

Really love NWoAHM, gotta say it's my fave right now for new bands, but heck doom, traditional and old school US power metal are at the top.

I like progressive power metal, and still stand by the statement that I titled the genre to describe bands like Fates Warning and Steel Prophet back in about 86' or 87'.

SugarNspice said:
You're allergic to black/death comment made me laugh!

You laugh but I cough :tickled:

BTW I'm referring to "modern" BM. I don't have an issue with Hellhammer or Venom, actually I do like both and have albums. As for DM everything goes fine until the vocalist open the mouth...and the magic dies :D

@ Steve: have you ever heard a French band called Manigance? Is prog power at its best IMO

Oh now you got me going. I LOVE PROG Metal. But I AM a FREAK!!! Give me odd time, sweeping guitar leads, and a bass player that can sound like a guitar player at times and I feel like I'm at home. But at the same time, I love playing for the song. It's always about the song. DON'T OVER PLAY! So after PROG I love old school metal. Like my old band ARMED FORCES; Traditional Metal. Ala Judas, Sabbath, Saxon and Maiden. When you can throw your arms up in the air and have a good time, come see me, cause I'm buyin!

g-mac said:
Oh now you got me going. I LOVE PROG Metal. But I AM a FREAK!!!

Then I'm one too. What's your poison?

Rush, Dream Theater (especially old one), Shadow Gallery, Manigance, Acid Rain, Dali's Dilemma, Angel Dust, Amorphis (last albums), Angra (old), Ark, Explorers Club, Helreid, Kurgan's Bane, Liquid Tension Experiment, Moon Of Steel, Spastic Ink, Redemption, Conception, Radakka, Planet X, Gordian Knot, The Flower Kings, The Jelly Jam, Platypus, Spock's Beard, The Tangent, Transatlantic, and the best in business IMO Ayreon!

stevekachinsky said:
Hmmm... I guess I like classic rock, because that's what Maiden, Sabbath, Priest, Zep, Metallica, Queen, etc. are all called now...

Really love NWoAHM, gotta say it's my fave right now for new bands, but heck doom, traditional and old school US power metal are at the top.

I like progressive power metal, and still stand by the statement that I titled the genre to describe bands like Fates Warning and Steel Prophet back in about 86' or 87'.
Hey Steve, I'm with you on that one. I didn't even KNOW what "progressive" music really was until you showed me the light!!!! And then it really took off, like a fart in an elevator. WHOOSH!!! off and running!!!!

Wyvern said:
Then I'm one too. What's your poison?

Rush, Dream Theater (especially old one), Shadow Gallery, Manigance, Acid Rain, Dali's Dilemma, Angel Dust, Amorphis (last albums), Angra (old), Ark, Explorers Club, Helreid, Kurgan's Bane, Liquid Tension Experiment, Moon Of Steel, Spastic Ink, Redemption, Conception, Radakka, Planet X, Gordian Knot, The Flower Kings, The Jelly Jam, Platypus, Spock's Beard, The Tangent, Transatlantic, and the best in business IMO Ayreon!

That's quite a list. I've got a few in the prog metal category. If I listed all the progressive bands I liked, I think the server would shut down. Planet X, Symphony X, Dream Theater, Derek Sherinian (solo), Children of Bodom and Project Steiger (one of my other bands).

Other prog music I like are Rick Wakeman, Platypus, The Jelly Jam, Rudess/Morgenstein Project, Dixie Dregs, Steve Morse Band and King Crimson to name a few.

I have to say I am in more of the melodic metal, progressive metal. With lead singers who can sing.

Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Rush, Gamma Ray, Steel Prophet, Primal Fear, Iced Earth, Kamelot, Nightwish, Dream Theater, Blind Guardian, Man O war, Hammerfall so many others.

I do like others with harder edged vocals like Rage, Gun Barrell, Iron Savior.

I have to say though my music tastes range very wide open.

I am very happy to say that I actually met SP and got you guys to sign almost my entire catalog of SP albums :) just not Unseen and Beware. One could say I am the number 1 SP fan in Wisconsin.

g-mac said:
That's quite a list. I've got a few in the prog metal category. If I listed all the progressive bands I liked, I think the server would shut down. Planet X, Symphony X, Dream Theater, Derek Sherinian (solo), Children of Bodom and Project Steiger (one of my other bands).

Other prog music I like are Rick Wakeman, Platypus, The Jelly Jam, Rudess/Morgenstein Project, Dixie Dregs, Steve Morse Band and King Crimson to name a few.

Hey G-Mac,
I did the prog, but old style, like Yes, Genesis (Gabriel era), Marillion, King Crimson (w/Bill Bruford), UK, Kansas and some Gentle Giant. Never thought of Children of Bodom as prog; I consider it melodic death metal with a crazy keyboardist! I worked a Japanese tour for Halford with COB opening, and they were pretty tight.

That's sweet Steve! I wish I worked a tour with them on it. I saw them at the HoB in Anaheim last Halloween and they ripped. COB aren't over the top prog but compared to a lot of bands out there in the ____-metal genre I think those guys are super talented and write some really good songs. I'm a little out of touch when it comes to all the metal genres. I would consider a band like Decapitated to be death or maybe black metal. But I could be way off. And you did name a bunch of my other prog rock bands that I like. I'm actually listening to YES right now.

This is my fucking metal face :headbang:

Well, besides Wyv here being allergic to "cookie monster vocals" :lol: who here appreciates death and/or black metal? I really started to like melodic death metal about a year ago... before that I just REFUSED to listen to anything that did not have outstanding vocals (Bruce Dickinson spoiled me :p ) then I suddenly caught myself enjoying Children of Bodom... and it all started from there... I got into Carcass (Heartwork is amazing!) and various others. As far as black metal goes I still haven't been able to get into it (I've tried many times) although there are a handful of bands I enjoy COF, Grand Alchemist... as far as Dimu Borgir I just can't get into them and their artwork on the covers and within the album sleeves are gross and piss me off inmensely... I know it's all for the "shock value" but they go to far... there are limits...

g-mac said:
Derek Sherinian (solo),

Other prog music I like are Rick Wakeman,

Awsome both counts! I saw Wakeman live in 2000, one of the best gigs I've ever been.

Sherinian las album is a piece of art. In general I feel Derek gets a lot more from Zakk Wylde than Ozzy or BLS ever done.

stevekachinsky said:
I'm kinda happy to read that from you Steve, because I've always considered Steel Prophet being part of the same scene as Fates and other progressive heavy metal bands.
Still, people always tell me : "Steel Prophet? Progressive? Are you kidding me?", but I guess that's because SP isn't a DT clone... ;)

Hey Fangface,
I guess progressive means different things to different people. I think it can be so many things, from not doing the 'usual' to taking things in different directions. It's not just about playing technical to me. Before Dream Theater there was Fates Warning, Metallica and Mercyful Fate spicing up metal and not following the traditional formulas. People tend to forget that. Especially if they weren't around for it!

I fully agree with that.
By the way I consider Mercyful Fate as the first progressive Metal band (of the eighties), Rush, Uriah Heep and other classic 70's bands aside of course.
Since their first self-titled EP, their song structures were not following the traditional formulas, or later in songs like "Satan's Fall", sometimes you couldn't identify a specific chrorus, there were lots of different parts through the songs, odd riffs and time signatures at times, and how about the vocals... simply out of this world.
Doing things in a different way with some kind of atmosphere, that's what I'd like to consider progressive, and not the generic idea of playing "over-technical" music.