Music from when you were growing up?

Riehlthing

It's "The Amish" To You
Feb 6, 2002
State of Beavers
home.rmci.net
Alright, a friend of mine said I should start this thread, so I'm going to.
What band did you listen to when you were growing up that you still listen to? And I mean something that people wouldn't believe you listened to.
I myself when growing up before getting to metal was a New Kids On The Block, Milli Vanili, Rod Stewart, B-52's, MC Hammer (he was 2 Legit 2 Quit yo) listening kiddie. Skid Row started me towards Metal, Metallica pushed me into it and Anthrax formed what I liked the most along with White Zombie. But the band I still listen to from time to time when I just get the mood is uhh...Kingston Trio. I don't ever bust out any NKTB, or the karoake's anymore, but Kingston Trio...Once in awhile still.

I started getting into metal when i was 10 thanks to my cousin! but before that i don't think i was into anything, mainly into transformers and wrestling im still like them both!!
Bands let's see anthrax slayer emperor darkthrone mayhem gorgoroth kreator manowar sick of it all king diamond mercyful fate, lots of thrash, black, gore, hardcore punk stuff!

I remember hearing Diary Of A Madman and that was it. I was all of about maybe 12? From there it was Motley Crue, the whole hair band deal, and then I heard Speak English Or Die. The rest as they say is history!

:Smug:Nice thread mang,

Early on in life(about age 4 to 7), I just listened to my parents Billy Joel, Lou Rawls, Eagles, and Engleburt Humperdink albums. About 7 or 8 I started listening to music that I wanted to buy, which was around the early eighties, and I was way into Duran Duran, Quiet Riot and Motley Crue. Infact, I use to love the Crue back when "Shout at the Devil" and "Theater of Pain" were new. I also started getting into Run-DMC. But I'll never forget this one day when my brother came home with what he called real music! He showed me these two tapes that his friend had given him called Metallica "Kill em all", and Metallica "Ride the Lighning"(original megaforce releases even). I feel in love with them, and my brother and I couldn't believe how heavy the stuff was, especially back then! About a year later my brother and I also got into Anthrax and Megadeth, and later we also discovered Testament, Slayer, etc. Out of all the metal I discovered in this time frame, Anthrax is the only one that has stuck with me 100%! However, I finally heard "God hates us all" the other day, and it did sound pretty good.

Cheerz!

AugDawg

Good thread idea! I grew up on AOR style radio so it was all about AC/DC, Eagles, Boston, Foriegner, Kansas, Zeppelin, Queen, Alice Cooper, Journey, and of course KISS. Actually whenever I found my dads KISS Alive! album, I was hooked. I then went and KISS' latest, which at the time was Asylum, and it sounded good to me as well, so there you go, that was it. As I moved on through junior high and high school, I got into more heavier stuff Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth, Pantera, Testament, Suicidal Tendencies, Prong, RATM, Cannibal Corpse, TON, LOA, Biohazard and what have you. Also, at this time my friend Anthony introduced me to the likes of Bad Religion, Dead Kennedys, The Misfits, Husker Du and the Ramones, so I got my first taste of punk. A lot of my friends were into rap as well, so I got my fill of that - Dr. Dre, Snoop Dog, and the Beastie Boys, Busta Rhymes and ODB top my list! As I got into college I found myself listening to less and less metal per se and more alt stuff like Depeche Mode, Morrissey, Radiohead and that ilk. I also got more into the stuff from my roots, I like listening to vinyl records of Elton John and Billy Joel and Queen. I haven't discovered too many new bands that do anything for me lately.

Any of you still from time to time pop in an Elton John in TD's case, Duran Duran in Augdawg's? I still listen to Skid Row and others, but that's at least part metal, but Kingston Trio I bet is a shock.

The album that got me into metal was AC?DC's Who Made Who.

After that is was the 'big 4', Testament, Exodus, and glam stuff like Motley, LA Guns, etc.

Anthrax have always been it for me though.

Riehlthing said:
Any of you still from time to time pop in an Elton John in TD's case, Duran Duran in Augdawg's? I still listen to Skid Row and others, but that's at least part metal, but Kingston Trio I bet is a shock.

Not only do I pop in Elton, I've seen him 3 times
:tickled: I also go to shows by alot of the 70's era bands:
Alice Cooper
Cheap Trick
Journey
KISS
Lynyrd Skynyrd
etc.

I'm going to see Meatloaf this fall!!!

Because of the crowd I ran around with in my early teens, I listened to alot of 80's punk; Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Misfits, Flipper, Ramones, UK Subs, but I also listened to alot of early rap like Whodini,Midnight Starr, Run DMC, Def Jeff, and EPMD. I always thought Metal sucked until I heard Anthrax's cover of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. My biggest guilty pleasures are probably old Van Halen and Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell....

cool thread its bringing all the memories back.

lets see,i was a milli vanilli fan when i was in primary school,bame it on the rain yeah yeah hehehe,the first real band i got into was inxs,i couldnt stop playin the kick album for yonks and it still holds up today,also john cougar mellencamp was pretty cool,he was actually the first concert for me.then i found out about aerosmith with the janies got a gun single and i was hooked on them for a while,i suppose the first taste of metal for me was guns n roses apetite album,from there someone is high school lent me anthrax state of euphoria,exodus fabulous disaster,testament practice what you preach and wasp electric circus!

out of those 4 metal albums state was played the most followed by exodus,exodus soon faded away while anthrax was bringing out album after album and i soon collected theere whole catalogue,i unfortunately found out about pantera when i heard that it went number 1 in usa austrealia and england,but i sure had a great time getting all there other albums all at once!

today i find myself getting into more country,blues and classic rock,(david allan coe,johnny winter,jeff back,creedence etc)there aint enough asskickers doing metal at the moment hopefully things change becasue metal needs a breathe of freash air at the moment!

back in the day all we had was the radio. i didnt have money to buy the tapes but i listened to KC Kasum(not sure of spelling).bands like hall&oates,phil collins,prince & then my sister got a job & it was bands like bon jovi,cinderella & slaughter. then i got a job & started buying metallica,anthrax,megadeth & testament. my friends got me into the heavier stuff back in 85

I was always a Led Zep fan first and foremost. Then Skynard, Allman Bros, Journey. Kill 'Em All got me into metal; then, of course Motley Crue Too Fast For Love, Def Leppard High and Dry and Pyromania, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Ratt and the rest of the Hair Bands. Saw Anthrax at the local clubs along with Overkill, Exodus, Slayer. (Can't forget Merciful Fate, King Diamond, and Sex Pistols.) When metal was fading out, I started listening more to Pearl Jam, Candlebox, Soundgarden, Fuel, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, etc. Spent way too much time at concerts and events; Woodstock 94 and 99, blah blah, is anyone actually reading this anyway?
*Chris, can't wait to see u tomorrow!!!!

I listened to whatever my parents listened to, Sparks, Stones and this swedish singer called Owe Thörqvist, actually that was the first music record cuz I was like 3 years old and nagged on my mom to buy Owe "for my dad". Yeah right... I listened to that record all the time when I played in the living room. I liked Depeche Mode when I was around 8-9. Then when I was 10 I heard Sex Pistols wich was the first heavier rock group I liked. I got into AnthraX cuz my friend used to play "Startin up a possé" and "H8red" on his guitar and he had the records too. Then it was Alice In Chains, Megadeth, Ministry, Carcass and Faith No More. FNMs cover of "This town isn´t big enough for the both of us" with Sparks brought back a lot of happy memories for me. =)

I'm now how young I am compared to some of you, and I'm 23...I'm reading your music refs and I was like, I vaguely remember that from Elementary school. I would probably go watch a Kingston Trio thing, I don't even know if they're still alive. I remember watching the Bangles on MTV and that whole Walk Like An Egyptian and my friend and I (the whities we are that can't dance) always thought if you just did the Walk Like An Egyptian thing we were dancing...Course that was like in the brief moments we weren't playing guns.

Jeffasin said:
Because of the crowd I ran around with in my early teens, I listened to alot of 80's punk; Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Misfits, Flipper, Ramones, UK Subs, but I also listened to alot of early rap like Whodini,Midnight Starr, Run DMC, Def Jeff, and EPMD. I always thought Metal sucked until I heard Anthrax's cover of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. My biggest guilty pleasures are probably old Van Halen and Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell....

He's still alive!! I knew it!!

My sister is ten years older than me, and we shared a room until I was 11, so I was exposed to all the teeny-bopper crap that went along with it. I remember begging my mom to make her take down some of her Michael Jackson posters. She was also into The Police (one of the few bands we can agree on), Duran Duran (I can handle on occasion), Menudo, New Edition, Rick Springfield, and every 80s one hit wonder that ever was. She did have plenty of Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper and Journey, but that only came out when her friends weren't around. I also had to deal with all of the trends at the time, like the giant hairbows, the feather clips, breakdancing, leg warmers, etc. Big hair goes without saying--we lived on Long Island.

And yes, I did go through an NKOTB phase. I was 11. All 11-year-old girls need something like that to drool over.

Good thread!!

When I was young my parents listened to Led Zep,
Deep Purple, AC/DC and stuff like that.

My first big music love was Iron Maiden in about '85/86. Then I heard Master of Puppets and Among the Living. Classic metal

I still listen to Led Zep and Deep Purple. I recently saw Deep Purple and they where excellent

My parents didn't listen to anything good when I was growing up. My dad was into country, but old, old country, like Kenny Rogers, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams (Jr. & Sr.), Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, etc. My mom was into Elvis. I don't remember her listening to anything else. I'm sure she did, but I don't remember it. I must have blocked it out. She's branched out since then, but it's still not anything I like. My dad is into much newer country, and that I can handle just fine. But I can't say I ever shared any musical interests with my parents while growing up.

I listened to what my parents listened to for a while. My Dad had stuff like CCR, Skynyrd, Hank Williams, Waylon Jennings, Iron Butterfly, and even some Sabbath. My Mom was really into the oldies and Elvis, Elvis, Elvis!
When I was 10, my sister started high school and began listening to grunge and metal. That's where I first heard Metallica, Megadeth, Soundgarden, Ozzy, etc.