Music Organization

Mr. Josey Wales

UGA student
Apr 13, 2004
athens, georgia
i like listening to music on my computer but i dont have that much space on it..

i have vinyls in my room....but most of that is 70's prog....and i cant listen to it in my car...

in my room when i dont want to listen to vinyls, but my other cd's, i have to put the cd in individually in the stereo, without playlists, like you can with WMP or an ipod...

i like listening to a CD all the way through, but sometimes i like to set a playlist when i go to bed, so the music just keeps on playing instead of stopping...

when i get in the car, i want to have all my music at my disposal, but i dont have access to my vinyl stuff...plus i dont have room for all my CD's...

ive started to DL albums from bit torrent, so maybe i can DL my vinyl albums onto CD, and DL any other CD's i want....any problems with that?

how do yall listen to your music? i like to have the option of listening to anything in my music catalogue at any given time when the mood hits...

is there a method where this can be utmost achieved...or is there a way to get close while still maintaining a clutter free, hassle free system?

When not on the computer or in the car, I only listen to CDs and vinyl. No mp3.

But otherwise I rip almost all my music to listen to on the computer (my big stereo is in the living room) and put it on an mp3 player to listen to in the car.

mp3 on the computer is at least 192kbps, but I go with 128kbit for the mp3 player. (only a 5GB creative shitster)

I've recorded all my vinyl into mp3 using my mp3 player. Doesnt sound perfect but it does the job.

illidurit said:
also you could probably get one of those turntables with line-outs and rip your vinyls to mp3
rip them to a lossless format using a specially designed conversion software. do them justice...

as for my system, all the music i buy is backed up on DVDR's in case something happens to my other two editions: the original copy and the copy i rip to my media hard drive. I have all my music on this drive for when I am at the computer, and the CD's I take with me in the car or wherever I go. I store the original CDs in a series of binders and keep them in my room, wheras burned copies of CDs I am less particular about

I stopped using binders as they (even the more expensive ones do) scratch the CDs after a while.

I've got my CDs in the standard towers, but thinking about getting a bookshelf thing going, as I have quite a few with none standard CD packaging and they don't fit anywhere.

I think the reason I haven't run into the scratching problem may be related to my putting the booklets in the slots behind each disc. Dunno, perhaps I've just been fortunate.

I rip all music I buy to mp3 right away (high quality VBR, on my equipment there is no perceivable difference between that and playing the actual CD itself) and that is how I listen to it. I have a meticulously organized mp3 collection which I keep on a seperate drive on my PC with everything tagged by hand according to the format that I like. And I make an .m3u playlist for every album which I put in the root of my music drive so I always have easy access to a list of all my albums. So any album is a mere doubleclick away.

I also own a 60 gig iPod which I use whenever I leave the house to carry most of my collection with me wherever I go.

Steedus said:
I stopped using binders as they (even the more expensive ones do) scratch the CDs after a while.

I've got my CDs in the standard towers, but thinking about getting a bookshelf thing going, as I have quite a few with none standard CD packaging and they don't fit anywhere.

yea I noticed this too. I only use them for my burnt CDs as I dont give a fuck about them. I copy all CDs I want to listen to in the car and keep them in the binders, that way if they get scratched or if somebody breaks into my car and steels the binders, only Burnt copies are lost....

i have all my music on a hard disk, and the more important ones are backed up on another hard disk. the few original cd's i have i practically never listen to, i listen to flacs or - usually - mp3s of them that i made instead.