How do you back up your music and How often do you buy music

Well thanks for all your guys' replies and suggestions. I think i have decided to go with a good external drive for this reason:
If the discs get fucked up then i will stil have the original and i could just re-burn it from the drive and if the discs and the drive gets fucked up then maybe i shouldn't be messing with musik! ha ha. but i have found a couple good external drives however and it will also help to save me money so i can buy more music or more guns!

As in keep important data on two separate physical drives at all times. That way if one of my HDs crashes I will still have those files on a different HD as well. Basically I just have one main drive where I keep all my stuff and every now and then I copy important things from that drive to my backup drive(s) to get my backups up-to-date. As long as my main drive and my backup drive(s) don't die at the same time (which short of my PC catching fire is not very likely to happen) I can be pretty sure I won't suffer a huge amount of data loss.

I might look into an external hard drive but what i would be afraid of is something happening to it, the fact that it interfaces with a computer freaks me out because there is always the possibility of the drive becoming corrupt from trash on the pc.

If you take good care of your computer (keep it up to date with patches, run a firewall and possibly anti-virus if you feel you need it) it's not really much of an issue. I guess it depends on how computer savy you feel you are. As for external drives, all external drives I've owned had an off-switch on them (though my current one automatically turns itself on when you turn on the PC, which is irritating) and I tend to keep them turned off when I'm not copying data onto or off them. That minimizes the amount of time that a computer is actually able to interface with your data.

I have found some good external hard drives on some major pc magazines sites and will proabably get me one soon so how would i put music on the external drive? would i have to load some type of music program i.e. itunes in order for me to import music to it?

I have found some good external hard drives on some major pc magazines sites and will proabably get me one soon so how would i put music on the external drive? would i have to load some type of music program i.e. itunes in order for me to import music to it?

You just move the files onto the hard drive as you would with your internal hard drive. When you hook your XHDD up via USB, it is detected as an extra drive. My 250 GB Western Digital worked right out of the box, and it hasn't given me any trouble in two years.

I leave my actual Cds as is & don't rip them on my computer. I like having the extra space. Any time I want to listen to a CD on the road or in my house I play it straight from the CD.

All the music I've ever downloaded I still have on my computer. I can download movies, watch them once & delete them, but I can't bring myself to do that with music. If I buy a CD after I've DLed it I delete the rip. I've thought about getting a back up 100-200 gig hard drive to back up all my files & music on so if my computer crashes I will still have every thing.

I have CDs that are 25+ years old who suffer no playing problems whatsoever, so I don't really give a shit what some manufacturer says. As long as your stuff is taken care of, it should last for a considerable amount of time.

Dude, I don't think CDs have been around nearly 25 years yet. I'm about to be 24. I got a Sony Discman for $250 when I was about 8 years old & CD players were still a pretty new technology then, that's why they were so expensive. It's definitely possible that they were around for a bit before then, but probably not very long. It was probably a thing mainly only rich people had.

I have about 1500 cds myself. It took me about 15-17 years to amass all of these, and that's not including about 200 over the last 10 years that were crap, so I'll give those to my best friend, and let him have a go. There are some bands that he likes that I don't, and vice-versa. I'm really anal about taking care of my collection. I've only replaced about 6 or 7 in the last 15+years. They are first put in alphabetical order, then chronilogical. I never loan them to anyone. I'll gladly make them a copy anytime. I'll put a few(around 40 albums) in my media library, and switch them to new albums every 2 months. My old job was electrical work, so I would download about 25-30 albums onto my mp3 player a week. Until I got layed off 6 months ago, I would buy about 5-10 cds a month, depending on the bills that month. Now that I don't have a job, I might get 1 -3 a month.

I have around 250 or 300 CDs and I've put them all on my computer. The rest of my collection is downloaded and a fairly large portion of it is in a que folder still awaiting its first listen. I have a 500 GB external harddrive that I got for Christmas in 2006, but I still haven't opened it yet, so if anything happens to my computer I'm screwed.
I finally opened it and for some reason, it's only 465 GB. Anyway, I've copied everything that matters to it except for my iTunes music folder, which will be finished in another 40 minutes. After that, I'm going to reformat my harddrive and put everything back on my computer again.

That reason is that hardware manufacturers are basically scumbags. If you read the fine print on any HD product you'll find that they consider one megabyte to be 1000^2 bytes, while a base-2 computer storage system treats it as 1024^2 bytes. So the HD you buy ends up showing as 500,000,000,000 / 1024^3 = 465 GB when you actually hook it up to a computer.

I've got 481 cds at the moment. I keep all of them on my computer, as well as on my Ipod. I rarely use the actual cds, so i dont really have to worry about them getting scratched or lost.

Speaking of Tchaikovsky, am I the only one who thinks the theme from the Harry Potter movies is a rip-off of the overture to Swan Lake?

That reason is that hardware manufacturers are basically scumbags. If you read the fine print on any HD product you'll find that they consider one megabyte to be 1000^2 bytes, while a base-2 computer storage system treats it as 1024^2 bytes. So the HD you buy ends up showing as 500,000,000,000 / 1024^3 = 465 GB when you actually hook it up to a computer.

PLUS they have to "format" the drive.