How do you like your job?

Which of these best describe your employment situation? (check ALL that apply)

• I have my own business, but don't get paid enough to live off of it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I live off my own business!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Einherjar: I was actually asked by my boss. I had developed a friendly relationship with her and had worked with her in the past on some projects, so she knew what I was capable of and the quality of work I do/did. On my campus, some GA/TA positions are posted on the jobs website for our campus. I imagine it's a little bit of both, being asked and just applying.

my advice is to develop some sort of relationship with a professor you like working with on campus and even just flat out ask a professor, "Hey do you need a GA?"

my job is also salaried, which is nice

Alright, thanks. I figure once I know where I'll be attending I'll give the department a call and ask some general questions about applying.

I'd sure like to know what kind of job Val has based on her answers. Somehow I don't picture her in a well-paid, important, mentally stimulating position, but that's just an uneducated guess of course.

Ok I'll explain.

Considering my title (Warehouse Manager), the amount of work I do on a daily basis within and outside of my job requirements, and the total lack of initiative and caring of my co-workers, I'm honestly surprised I haven't gone postal up in this bitch.

To sum up how I feel, picture one of those ffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuu comic/meme thingies. In the first box you'll have a stick figure boss of mine on the left handing a paycheck to me on the right. The second box would be a picture of me standing there holding said check with a smile on my face. The third box would be a close-up picture of the check with the amount it's endorsed in large bold numbers. The 4th and last box would be the ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

If someone could create this picture as I have depicted, I would be indebted to you for life.

I had a job for around a month or two as a "Rainbow Distributor." Basically we demonstrated this vacuum thing at the person's home for 90 or so minutes, and try to get them to buy it. At first it didn't seem so bad, since I got paid for doing demonstrations ($30 each) without it even being sold, but then they made you go door to door to find more people to demonstrate for, and after spending 50+ hours, not getting paid a dime, and with no one wanting to look at the damn thing, I stopped.

After that, I worked as a tutor for 4 weeks and now I have nothing :| I'm going to start applying to jobs pretty soon, though.

Been working as a clerk at an insurance agency for two months now. Doing all sorts of administrative work and also doubling as a desktop support technician at the same office. The pay is decent, the people I work with are nice(the latter is quite a rarity in Israel).Overall, I'm satisfied.

Basically, I have all day to think, which is a mixed blessing. I've learned to ignore or embrace the store radio. I'm moving around and lifting stuff all day, which is good. I'm a nobody, true, but I don't really care because this is just a temporary job.

Also at Walgreens and I raise you this. Not the worst place though.

Chase: nice, you fell for a pyramid scheme job :p

If I have to keep this job for the rest of my career, I will probably snap...

My job pays enough to get by, but I'm still financially tight

I am a nobody/grunt/peon at my company/organization

Luckily this is only temporary until April (assuming I get an inside position I apply for at that time, otherwise I'm stuck in the mail room until I can find something better at the company or outside of the company.

The third option would apply at any other BIG insurance company, but even the execs know your name at this company and actually say hi to you, so I wouldn't say that I'm a nobody.

I work Saturdays for a food distribution business in Baltimore. I get together orders and load the trucks, then go around with the driver to distribute the food. I get paid 9 dollars an hour, and enjoy it. During the truck rides my co-workers and I have great discussions.

I'm currently laid off... but was working for toys r us as a seasonal employee (so I could draw unemployment afterward) after having to quit my job as an electrician's apprentice.

The job was pretty tolerable, for working at a toy store. I would put things away up stairs in the warehouse, bring large items downstairs and load them into vehicles, bring shit down to the sales floor when they ran out (although I rarely ever had to put the product on the shelves) build bicycles and motorized hot wheels/scooters, whatever. It wasnt a bad job at all and damn easy... and they hired a ton of hot girls for the holidays.

the only real downside was getting minimum wage, but I suppose I shouldve expected that from the beginning.

when I work my receiving job, talking with the truck drivers is probably the most interesting part. they always have good stories to tell or are more than ready to shoot the shit and complain about things. I also get free stuff from them time to time which is always nice.

edit: @ Dev

I supposed I should explain what I do:

I'm a Mail and Scanning clerk at a mid-size insurance company in suburban Cincinnati. My job is two-fold:

-I collect mail from various mail stops throughout the building and then sort and process mail that needs either postage or the pre-sort rate, sort inter-office mail I go through all incoming mail that comes through the company (except for mail that is personal or for the execs), deliver packages, etc
-I scan documents into a huge machine that the other employees in the company can access through an automated work distribution system

I also drive the company mail van to the warehouse off-site to pick up things for people or drop off bulk mail sometimes (gives me time to listen to moar metuhlz)

It's pretty much grunt work and it's a menial job that anyone could do, but I took the job because I have an opportunity to advance (unlike my last job) and I actually have some experience within insurance.

when I work my receiving job, talking with the truck drivers is probably the most interesting part. they always have good stories to tell or are more than ready to shoot the shit and complain about things. I also get free stuff from them time to time which is always nice.

edit: @ Dev
A friend of mine worked the night shift at a grocery store for a while. He said the same thing about the truck drivers.

After driving OTR for two months, it's a definite there is plenty of interesting stuff to talk about, not to mention plenty to complain about.

Edit: Also, am no longer driving. After finishing the training program I knew enough from talking to other employees and seeing how my trainers were treated that when my wife said she wanted me to be home nightly it wasn't a hard decision.

The job is difficult enough without getting stiffed at every turn by the company.

Er, maybe I'm missing something but couldn't you be doing productive and relevant things with your time right now? You have a home, a computer, and presumably at least limited access to transportation.
Haha, I wish. My home is in the middle of nowhere, and my parents specifically chose it for its scenic location. This probably seemed like a great idea before they had kids who aspired to have a social life and before the internet and cell phones were common, but now it mostly just functions as a prison. I don't get cell phone reception, the only available internet connection is 18k, I can't use the land line and the internet at the same time, and we can't upgrade to satellite internet because the trees in our yard are "blocking the signal." I do have a car, but I can't even use it to visit friends because most of their families moved away years ago (I don't blame them). My only real escape is occasionally revisiting my former college, but doing that regularly isn't an option because the gas and maintenance for my car would make it prohibitively expensive without a job. Alternatively, having a job monopolizes enough of my schedule that I'm simply not available to leave when it's convenient for my friends in Oswego.

This isn't to say that nothing has worked out in my favor. I'm thankful that my parents are allowing me to stay with them rent free, and I'm happy to possibly be beginning a job working with people with developmental disabilities soon, but it's not the kind of thing that I anticipate spending the rest of my life doing, or even the next five years for that matter.
You could at least be volunteering somewhere.
I already volunteer with the BSA and I do educational presentations about reptiles.
If you really lack the motivation to do anything productive with all your free time, I don't think you have much to worry about regarding the opportunity cost of having a job, and if I may presume to say so, you really don't sound "destined for greatness" either.
What a short sighted thing to say. Clearly, I'm not currently in a position to be doing these things, otherwise I would be. I'm not concerned with your criticism of how qualified I seem to you either. It's evident to many in real life that I have a lot to offer and the fact that I'm good at pretty much everything while receiving so little satisfaction from most of it is certainly evidence in my favor. I was routinely understimulated in high school and college just like I am now. That doesn't mean I'm unambitious, it means that I'm uninspired, possibly as a result of not being challenged enough.
So what exactly do you define as this "greatness" you feel destined for?
I have yet to figure that out, unfortunately.

My job pays pretty well, gives me exercise, is somewhat rewarding, and I could probably tolerate it for the rest of my career but I'd rather not because it gets mind-numbingly tedious dealing with customers and sometimes is so stressful that I feel I could snap.