Music Pleasures Outside of Metal

Dec 20, 2006
Hollywood
Quite simply, I'd like to know what all of you listen to outside of the realm of metal. Not only that, but I'm also thinking that all of your subsequent posts will be the source(s) of recommendations for all of us, not just me.

Some of the bands that I've been rocking on the stereo lately:

Wooden Shjips (psychedelic rock)
Death in June (post-punk/neofolk)
Golden Animals (psychedelic-tinged blues rock)
Acid Mothers Temple & the Cosmic Inferno (psychedelic rock)
Mono (post-rock)
Joy Division (post-punk)
Flipper (punk/proto-sludge/grunge)
Emily Jane White (dark folk)
Espers (psychedelic folk)
Rome (neofolk)

Prince
Paul Simon related stuff
Tak Matsumoto (Instrumental guitarist that touches a ton of genres)
Old Santana

I don't know, not too many bands really, mainly guitarists who don't play metal.

His album Hana is great. I might as well say he doesn't dive right into genres, but he definitely does more than most guitarists. He's also the guitarist for the J-Rock band B'z, if you're into that stuff at all.

Grandaddy - us indie rock
Btw. great vid!

Depeche Mode - well.....

The Sisters Of Mercy -well.... goth rock

Spleen United - electro pop (pretty rock when live!)

Sarah Brightman - pop/opera

Parzival - militant ambient

üsed to be metal:

The Gathering
Green Carnation

Last edited by a moderator:
Explsions in the Sky - Post rock
Alcest - shoegaze
Slowdive - Shoegaze
October Falls - Acoustic

Can't think of any others right now... Major hang over.

Well I listen to Alcest, of course. Am starting to get into some shoegazer bands, Curve, Sleepless, etc.

I've been...moving away from Metal recently. I still love it, of course, and always will. But I've found that limiting yourself to one genre only hinders musical growth. On that note, some recent artists I've loved:
Billy Bragg - Punkish protest acoustic rock from the UK
Sol Invictus - Neofolk/industrial
Fleet Foxes - American pastoral folk
Kanye West
Atmosphere - dark Hip-Hop from Minnesota
Q-Tip - alt/underground hip hop
The Hold Steady - straight up rock
Raphael Saadiq - soul
Lots of Jazz, mostly Miles Davis, Dexter Gordon, Thelonious Monk, John Coltrane, and Charles Mingus
Sam Cooke - soul
Leonard Cohen

Eric Johnson - my favorite guitarist of all time, mainly rock but with flourishes of eastern music, fusion and blues

Fugazi - post hardcore

Jeff Buckey - dark folk rock

Van Morrison - forget "Brown-eyed girl", "Moondance" is fucking brilliant

Southkill - post-rock/shoegaze

...a whole lot of 70s prog like Ambrosia, Yes, Gentle Giant, Uriah Heep, King Crimson, Magma, Gong, Van Der Graaf Generator, U.K., Rush, Egg, Area

...and a whole lot of jazz/fusion like Weather Report, The Zawinul Syndicate, Miles Davis, Passport, Return to Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Thelonius Monk, Sun Ra

Totally in love with post-rock, Mono are my favourites. Love Canadian (hard) rock, been digging Matthew Good (+Band) a ton of late, and the glory days of the 90s, I Mother Earth, The Tea Party, Moist, Big Wreck, etc. Also dig classical stuff, Dvorak is my favourite composer, love Grieg, Mahler, and Brahms amongst many many others. Into more low key stuff too like John Frusciante, Incubus, Radiohead and more acoustic based stuff.

Classic Rock: Foreigner, Boston
Techno/Trance: DJ Tiesto, Robert Miles
Grunge: Alice In Chains
Darkwave: Diary Of Dreams
Rock: Memento, Breaking Benjamin (1st album), Porcupine Tree, Seether (1st album), Smashing Pumpkins, Three Days Grace, 3 doors down (1st album)

Misc: Antimatter, Gorillaz

*Biggest Guilty Pleasure*
Fallout boy - I don't care (just the one song)

I like many other bands in those genres, but those are the ones I am the most familiar with it. I think many modern raock bands started out good, but then took a turn to complete shit.

Here's some random bands outside of metal, post-rock, and typical modern/hard rock, or at least that you would think that I would enjoy, that I actually do quite like. Incubus (one of my favourites ever), Jimmy Eat World, Coheed and Cambria, Alexisonfire, Thursday, Dave Matthews Band. I have a soft spot for Chevelle and Shinedown too, some of their songs are just endlessly catchy, lol.

I love me some 80's Rock and Pop music:

Def Leppard
Scorpions
Bon Jovi
Skid Row
Platinum Blonde
Real Life
Depeche Mode
Dokken
Great White

I also like some Rap:
2 Pac