Music Pleasures Outside of Metal

I dig a little bit of everything all the time, but I think I can still maintain a small list.

Mostly I stick with neo-folk and country. Vàli, Forseti, Fire + Ice, Puissance, Angels of Light for that folk hunger. Hank Williams Sr., Those Poor Bastards, .357 String Band, Sons of Perdition for some good ole fashioned doomsday country. There's never been a more tortured voice recorded than the elder Hank's.

Then you have the best non-metal band ever conceived, SWANS. Michael Gira can do no wrong.

Then you have the best non-metal band ever conceived, SWANS. Michael Gira can do no wrong.

Have you heard "Theory of Machines" by Ben Frost? I'm not sure of the right way to describe it. It's kinda electronic, kinda industrial. Wikipedia, for what it's worth, describes it as a combination of minimalism, black metal, noise, and post-punk. Anyway there's a song on there called "We Love You Michael Gira"

Hardstyle, Gabber, Industrial/HBM:

Blutnoium Boy
Mental Theo
BladeMasterz
Psyclon Nine
Hardwire
Turmion Kätilöt
Brennan Heart
The Kovenant (Previously a Melodic BM band)
Zanza Labs
Major Bryce
Samael
DJ Likferd
DJ Venom

I like alot of random stuff that isn't metal, elitism is just pointless self deprivation , No thank you.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of Gutter Punk. I find it offers a good contrast to the individualist message of most Heavy Metal. Leftover Crack is by far the best band to exemplify this mindset.

Have you heard "Theory of Machines" by Ben Frost? I'm not sure of the right way to describe it. It's kinda electronic, kinda industrial. Wikipedia, for what it's worth, describes it as a combination of minimalism, black metal, noise, and post-punk. Anyway there's a song on there called "We Love You Michael Gira"

I haven't, but it seems right up my alley. Will have to check that out post-haste!

Besides metal I mainly like hard rock and industrial with the occasional neo-folk band thrown in for good measure. Anyway here's a few non-metal bands I find enjoyable. Fleet Foxes (neo-folk), Mattafix (reggae), Diary of Dreams (darkwave/industrial), Alice in Chains (grunge), Antimatter (ambient/melancholy rock), Pain (Peter Tagtgren's other band kind of pop influenced hard rock/industrial pretty interesting stuff!), Thieves & Liars (80's influenced rock), Kings of Leon (hard rock), Poor Man's Riches (Christian hard rock), Rotterdam Terror Corps (gabber), Dead Can Dance (experimental folk) and of course the classics like Nazareth, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, and Steely Dan.

Joel

Besides metal I mainly like hard rock and industrial with the occasional neo-folk band thrown in for good measure. Anyway here's a few non-metal bands I find enjoyable. Fleet Foxes (neo-folk), Mattafix (reggae), Diary of Dreams (darkwave/industrial), Alice in Chains (grunge), Antimatter (ambient/melancholy rock), Pain (Peter Tagtgren's other band kind of pop influenced hard rock/industrial pretty interesting stuff!), Thieves & Liars (80's influenced rock), Kings of Leon (hard rock), Poor Man's Riches (Christian hard rock), Rotterdam Terror Corps (gabber), Dead Can Dance (experimental folk) and of course the classics like Nazareth, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, and Steely Dan.

Joel

Pain is my shit. I forgot to put them on my list.