Music Producing Thread

If you just want to mess around and record guitars, just get a digital amp simulation thingy like almost everyone on this forum has. Line 6 Toneport. Now it's known as the Line 6 POD Studio.

Cheapass box that connects via USB, you can change geetar sound and all that in the software that follows. I use it for all my songs, and in combination with a good VST for drums and orchestra, I can shit out pretty good (if I may say so myself) songs.

Also snowy are you familiar with Audio Technica stuff? I thought about buying the ATH AD-700, since my "DERP GAMER" headset died on me.

:lol:
typical audio engineering student.. All the time they say these boxes suck (soundwise, qualitywise) but I dont really agree on that. The D/A converter aint the best but they are ok. just overpriced.

i didn't meant specifically the converters, but the package, but yeah the MBox is doesn't have good pre's, i never tested the PreSonus, so i wouldn't know.

would you buy this package for your studio?

someone said about DAWs being expensive, Reaper license is about 60 bucks iirc, and is a fine DAW, everyone should try it

Line 6 Toneport. Now it's known as the Line 6 POD Studio.

Yuck no. Line6 POD is dildos. Korg Pandora or Digitech RP are way better for roughly same price.

@vikk: Not to mention that Reaper "trial" is unlimited and fully functional, so $60 is only if someone REEEEALLY wants to pay that money.

Yuck no. Line6 POD is dildos. Korg Pandora or Digitech RP are way better for roughly same price.

@vikk: Not to mention that Reaper "trial" is unlimited and fully functional, so $60 is only if someone REEEEALLY wants to pay that money.

What makes you say that ?
I mean the POD is crap, but the Pandora and Digitech had the two worst sounds I have EVER played in my life.
They suck so much ass it aint even funny anymore.

This thing is reasonable and cheap
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/stealthplug/features/

You should then get urself some serious modeler like Revalver or Amplitube 3 (both good) the muffin way.

Yuck no. Line6 POD is dildos.

>Comments and says Line6 POD is dildos
>Probably doesn't even own one
>Plays violin

1272395985441.gif

I recorded my band demos through Digitech RP255 and mic>line in for vocals and it sounds just about fine.

No.

Really don't listen to that guy.

Also snowy are you familiar with Audio Technica stuff? I thought about buying the ATH AD-700, since my "DERP GAMER" headset died on me.

Aww,sorry bro never tried these.
I just used some audio technica mic whose name I dont remember and the one I mentioned and I was impressed.You get a lot for your money.
But the Headphones seem alright, got pretty good ratings but I guess you already saw that :D

i didn't meant specifically the converters, but the package, but yeah the MBox is doesn't have good pre's, i never tested the PreSonus, so i wouldn't know.

would you buy this package for your studio?

no because I already got that MBox and better monitors :loco: But IMO the mic is alright.

Aww,sorry bro never tried these.
I just used some audio technica mic whose name I dont remember and the one I mentioned and I was impressed.You get a lot for your money.
But the Headphones seem alright, got pretty good ratings but I guess you already saw that :D

Hehe yeah, they're /g/ approved, so I went out and did some research on them, excellent ratings everywhere. They will definitely be my next set of phones.

What makes you say that ?
I mean the POD is crap, but the Pandora and Digitech had the two worst sounds I have EVER played in my life.
They suck so much ass it aint even funny anymore.

Idunno, imho everything except distortion sounds just fine on digitech. But digital distortion always sounds like crap anyway.

I don't know much about Pandora but Mitch makes it sound awesome. So I wouldn't mind getting one if I needed one.

Although honestly, I don't like POD cause it's pretty much made to be difficult to use.

>Plays violin

Violin is awesome. I also play it better than you play guitar. HURR DURR

Mitch makes it sound awesome. So I wouldn't mind getting one if I needed one.

Mitch has good tone, but it's a bit thin imo. A little more beef and it's perfect.

Although honestly, I don't like POD cause it's pretty much made to be difficult to use.

That's like saying "Macs are pretty much made to be difficult to use". If you can't properly operate a POD you suck.

Violin is awesome.

Violin is awesome yes.

I also play it better than you play guitar. HURR DURR

1280017509122.jpg

Let me see you sweep on that violin and we'll talk.

Yuck no. Line6 POD is dildos. Korg Pandora or Digitech RP are way better for roughly same price..

Sure it's dildos...compared to fucking studio. The RP is shit and the KORG Pandora is mainly for guitar. You can't track down vocals or keyboard with that thing. As i Understand the UX2 also is possible to plug to a mixer, which broadens the possibilites even more. The UX8 is also pretty affordable tool....could mic up some drums and shit with that beast!

I own a UX1 and I am pretty satisfied with it. Hard to use? You checked your eyes lately? Or is that just hte cumstains on your lenses?

Sure it's dildos...compared to fucking studio. The RP is shit and the KORG Pandora is mainly for guitar. You can't track down vocals or keyboard with that thing. As i Understand the UX2 also is possible to plug to a mixer, which broadens the possibilites even more. The UX8 is also pretty affordable tool....could mic up some drums and shit with that beast!

I own a UX1 and I am pretty satisfied with it. Hard to use? You checked your eyes lately? Or is that just hte cumstains on your lenses?

ya,if you start to record stuff as a hobby or with a low budget and low knowledge these toneports arent bad. Some of these guys think that 14 year old guy will build up some hq studio.
Of course everybody is like *oh noes they sound like crap* (even if they dont hear any differences between the toneport and expensive interfaces..) but I doubt that he needs some super awesome preamps

Let me see you sweep on that violin and we'll talk.

Pff what ignorance. I could say "let me see you play ricochet bowing on guitar" to you to the same end, but thankfully I have a clue about different instrument techniques. Bad musicians always try compensate for ignorance and lack of skill by teaching others how to do what they know how to do best. But it's 'kay Ensi, keep practicing in your room so that maybe someone praises you on Youtube while I go play another solo with a professional orchestra ;)

@the_phenoom: RPs can also plug into a mixer iirc. UX1-2 do look better than the regular PODs but I've never heard/seen them in action. I have a generally distrustful attitude to line6 products though, since everyone I've seen use them made 'em sound like crap. Maybe they just didn't have a fucking clue, I dunno. But meh, it's all about preference, all of those price-range products are about the same, especially for recording purposes anyway. I'd probably even pick that Stealth Plug thingy zirkonflex linked to if I didn't want an ME to mess with when I was buying the RP. Now I only use it for extra reverb or delay during lives and recording.

Shut up, you recommend to put mics into line ins. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

^ I don't for recording, I'm no musical producer or professional sound engineer. Vocals mic into line in works just fine for a home demo is all I said. It obviously doesn't yield great quality, but iirc quality wasn't being discussed.

But why should he do that if he can afford some interface with mic inputs? And what is he going to do if he has some condenser mic which needs phantom power?Recording acoustic guitar and vocals with some dynamic mic? works but isnt great.
I dont see any point in recommending the worst way to record or plug in your mics just because he isn't ''pro''. It works, but it's just stupid and if he is going to buy some interface and mics for 400 and will use the line input for his mics he should save the money and use the computers line input..