Music Producing Thread

Blablbabla ... Mic ... Line Input ... blabla

You actually put mics into the mic in if you don't have a pre :D

But seriously thats like the most important part of any kind of studio at all.
You atleast need a decent USB interface (No wierd Toneport or shit), face it.
It will will cost you 150-350 bucks but you can't do without.
Its gonna be used for all the guitars and basses (if youre going digital), and it will have 2 to 8 good mic ins that you will probably want to use more and more the further you get into the recording stuff.
My suggestion for someone starting recording would be getting a USB Interface (lets say 200 for it), then "get" some software and some superlux headphones (can't recommend them enough) as well as some cheap mics (Probably T-Bone or whatever).
Depending on the amount of inputs of your USB device and the mics at your disposal you'd be able to flawlessly record entire albums from scratch with such a setup, if you get some experience you could even make it sound killer as hell.

You actually put mics into the mic in if you don't have a pre :D/QUOTE]
...A mic input without a preamp is quite useless. I put mics into mic inputs to use the mic preamps (if it's not the same as the line preamp) ;)
Anyway, what's the point of your sentence? Telling me that some outboard preamp is connected via line in? Wow.
Guess if he buys some condenser mic and uses the line inputs he will see how cool it is to use them for vocal recording.

THANKS FOR ALL THE POSITIVE INPUT AND HELP GUYS!!!!
GLAD I MADE THIS THREAD WWWOOOOOOOO!!!!

i'm buying this lovely thing:
reveal-501a-601a-storypic.jpg

Pff what ignorance. I could say "let me see you play ricochet bowing on guitar" to you to the same end, but thankfully I have a clue about different instrument techniques. Bad musicians always try compensate for ignorance and lack of skill by teaching others how to do what they know how to do best. But it's 'kay Ensi, keep practicing in your room so that maybe someone praises you on Youtube while I go play another solo with a professional orchestra ;)

>implying being in an orchestra gets you bitches
>implying being in an orchestra doesn't make you beta

Enjoy being beta while i'm getting all the bitches.

This is my setup
0805102154a.jpg

My brand new laptop which I got yesterday, with my toneport UX2 and my Yamaha psr-e413
I record using audacity and Kristal audio engine, I know they're not that great but they fit my needs.

[green text]
>people implying you can produce music with a very cheap set up
>people "producing" music with toneports, audacity and no monitors
[/green text]

Well if you're just recording some riffs and licks for fun in your bedroom you really dont need expensive stuff.
And if you use a toneport you dont need protools anyway :p

What are some good sound cards suited to what I'm doing. Lots of MIDI controlling.....and, (inb4:shitstorm) Is a Mac really all that much better? I've been arguing otherwise for a very long time, but my friend just got a Mac Desktop, and I do admit its very sexy.

A Laptop is also in serious consideration, but the fact it can't really be upgraded has me worried.

so 400 bucks wouldn't get me decent-ish quality?

and what's a program that can do orchestration stuff? like i could just plug in my keyboard and get something going or what not
If you're into film music, this might be an interesting program.

Last edited by a moderator: