Music to be miserable to...

Mad Season- Wake Up
Pearl Jam- dead man, parachutes, sleight of hand, indifference, otherside, i got shit... lots of pearl jam songs make me feel sad
Opeth- Isolation Years
Smashing Pumpkins- For Martha
AIC- Nutshell
Porcupine Tree- Collapse the Light into Earth
Tori Amos- Winter, Playboy Mommy
Three Fish- Siva and the astronaut

and probably a million more

worldwide_suicide said:
Porcupine Tree- Collapse the Light into Earth
Tori Amos- Winter, Playboy Mommy

Good choices. For me, nasty break up = listen to 'Collapse The Light Into Earth' constantly. Don't know why. And the Tori ones are good... I find 'Gold Dust' is also quite good to be depressed to.

Last night, I discovered that 'You Could Be Happy' from the new Snow Patrol album worked excellently for this purpose. Maybe it was just because the lyrics reflected pretty much exactly how I feel (and have felt for a few months now), but I dunno... It was the first time I listened to the song properly, and it was a bizarrrely emotional moment...

most NIN is good, either because you like NIN and its good depressing music, or you hate NIN and the noise grates on your eyes and makes you miserable.

Though I have to say Hurt is one of the most pitiful pieces of music ever written. That's meant as a complement, the song actually makes you feel pity.

One time I listened to Khanate, it made me pretty fuckig miserable.

I have that special gift of being able to be miserable no matter what I'm listening to, but there are certainly a few albums and/or songs that can bring misery, longing and other such things to a new level. Here are a few:

Songs:

Soundgarden - Zero Chance
Soundgarden - Tighter & Tighter
My Dying Bride - For My Fallen Angel
Agents of Oblivion - The Hangman's Daughter
Anathema - Angelica
Anathema - Regret
Alice in Chains - Frogs
Hypocrisy - Slippin' Away

Albums:

Alice in Chains - Any album
Back when I was in high school (95-99), Alice in Chains were a depressing listen on a more personal level. But now when I listen to them, it's more of a depression of knowing I'll never hear new music from them.

Cold - 13 Ways to Bleed Onstage
Kind of a guilty pleasure here. There are certain albums that I associate with a period in my life. I listened to this album a lot back in 2001, which wasn't a real great time for me for various reasons. Now whenever I hear it, I kind of go back to that time. And I think an even more depressing reason is the fact that 5 fucking years have passed. It's unbelievable how fast the years are going by.

Amorphis - Elegy
This album just has a very cold atmosphere to it. The very first time I heard it, I was driving around on a miserable freezing day in January about 3 years ago. Even if I listen to Elegy in July, I would still think Winter.

Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
I don't know what it is about this album, but I can barely get through it. I'm not even really a fan of her, but this album just hits a soft spot for some reason.

Deadboy and the Elephantmen - If This is Hell, Then I'm Lucky (Demo Version)
Most people probably haven't heard this, but this is one of the best albums I've ever heard. Dax Riggs, formerly of Acid Bath, has one of the most heartfelt voices out there. This album is mostly acoustic, laid-back music with a really dark vibe to it.

Yeah, but I don't know why they're calling it Alice in Chains. I believe Sean Kinney and Mike Inez played on the Boggy Depot album, so why not continue under the name Jerry Cantrell? Although Cantrell wrote most of AIC's music, Layne's voice was the biggest part of the band. If Cantrell had handled 100% of AIC's vocals, they would still be considered a great band. But Staley is what made their music more than just music. Staley's voice is what most people connected to the most. Cantrell just doesn't have that emotion or edge to his voice. That being said, I'd still be interested in hearing what the remaining members come up with, but just don't call it Alice in Chains.

worldwide_suicide said:
Mad Season - Wake Up

Speaking of Layne Staley, I have to second this song recommendation. Anyone who likes Alice in Chains will probably appreciate the sadness of this song even more when you listen to the lyrics and consider how Staley ended up passing away.

tynkkr said:
Angry depressed:

Blood Red Throne - Affiliated with the Suffering
Vader - Litany (Xeper especially)
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
Marduk - Panzer Division Marduk

Otherwise depressed:

My Dying Bride - The Angel and the Dark Water
Dark Lunacy - Forget Me Not
Counting Crows - August & Everything After
Acid Bath - Pagan Terrorism Tactics
Katatonia - Viva Emptiness
Agalloch - The Mantle
Siebenburgen - Plagued be thy Angel

A few random songs (the above are all albums):

Opeth - To bid you Farewell
Camel - Ice
Gloomy Grim - Say Just Words
The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
Strapping Young Lad - Bring on the Young

Oh, and Nortt. They're the only band I've seen described as 'funeral metal'. Its fairly hard to listen to, though.

Finally, someone has mentioned Dark Lunacy. Awesome band and an awesome album. :headbang:

Sickman said:
Cold - 13 Ways to Bleed Onstage
Kind of a guilty pleasure here. There are certain albums that I associate with a period in my life. I listened to this album a lot back in 2001, which wasn't a real great time for me for various reasons. Now whenever I hear it, I kind of go back to that time. And I think an even more depressing reason is the fact that 5 fucking years have passed. It's unbelievable how fast the years are going by.

I somewhat agree with this, especially the last track, bleed. very well recorded and a nicely crafted sombre atmosphere, especially as far as nu-metal goes.