Musical Pet Peeves

You're assuming that most bands are kind enough to segregate the good songs and shit songs. Musical eugenics is rarely practiced in reality and as such you get long albums filled with mixed half-breed travesties. Early Savatage has virtually no keyboard/piano, barely scrapes 40 minutes (if reached at all), and is their best work. The Dungeons Are Calling in all of its balls-out-opening keyboardless 25-minute glory is superior to probably any album over an hour's length.

Just heard a song off Dungeons Are Calling... Crap it's good, I stand corrected, I must only have their more recent stuff.

Off Topic:
The Dungeons Are Calling in all of its balls-out-opening keyboardless 25-minute glory is superior to probably any album over an hour's length.

^ Can I sig that?

I hate clicky, plastic sounding drums. Might as well use a drum machine or a typewriter, it will serve the same purpose. Often it bores me, especially when the drummer doesn't mix things up. It will almost sound like the same drum track is used for every song.

I guess I mentioned it earlier in this thread, I generally don't like songs with fade-out endings. But there are exceptions.

I generally like intros/outros but I strongly dislike it when they have nothing in common with the rest of the album or do not enhance the album in any way.

I don't like lyrics that include expressions like "all for one, one for all" and "the tables have turned!" Angela Gossow uses tons of these.

Regarding the packaging aspect of music....
I hate double-sided discs!

With jewel cases, this is a good jewel case:
pic4.jpg

This is a bad one. There's worse, I just couldn't find an ideal example.
Jewel_Case_-_Standard.jpg

The difference is on the right, the tabs on the front that keep the booklet from sliding out. I only like the lengthier, vertical ones shown in the first image. The tiny horizontal ones (and to a lesser extent, the round ones) can indent and damage the booklet! What sort of idiot doesn't understand this? This is a major pet peeve and any time I get a CD with one of these jewel cases, I have to replace it.

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet.....I can't stand when a band has been around a few years, has done well critically, and has a solid fanbase, yet after a few good/great albums, they change their style. I'm not referring to changing it because they're experimenting, or just wanting to try something different....that's fine. It's when they all of a sudden sound like what's commercially popular at the time. Examples- mid 90's death and thrash bands, all of a sudden sounding like grunge bands. Old 70's prog bands all of a sudden doing pretty much nothing but love songs. (uh, Genesis, thanks!) I love Judas Priest, but latter 80's era, (Turbo, and Ram It Down) they teased up their hair, and got too cheesy for me. I guess it's a band "mid-life crisis" thing. Some recovered a few albums later, but sometimes as a fan, it can piss you off enough to turn your back on them.

^ Lol. Seconded.

My biggest pet peeve is obvious clipping, when the tracks are turned up so high you can hear your speakers wanting to break regardless of the volume level. The most recent example was when I gave Hypocrisy's Catch 22 or whatever a try.

Seconded. I'm pretty sure some tracks on Catch 22 have almost busted my car speakers.

Gorepoflesh's Gore Fucking Corpses has caused minor problems to some people I know's speakers; Nick had some bass troubles after blasting it and I'm pretty sure it broke gundamterran/Logan's speakers too :p

I second using movie samples as song intros.

I love movie samples as song intros... :erk: Well, at least so long as it's not from a really well-known movie.

Gorepoflesh's Gore Fucking Corpses has caused minor problems to some people I know's speakers; Nick had some bass troubles after blasting it and I'm pretty sure it broke gundamterran/Logan's speakers too :p

That's metal as fuck.

HUNNGGHH UNNNFFFF

You must be a fucking riot to hang out with.

Did you type that or copypasta?

I think samples are almost always a little annoying or at least unnecessary. The only exception I can think of off the top of my head that works is the one at the beginning of "Do Not Speak" by Anaal Nathrakh

Most "genre-meshing" which the music sounds like the musical equivalent of ice cream and hot sauce.

Songs without transitions between sections (with the obvious exception for grind which is founded on this idea).

Guitars that are panned directly in the fucking center with no reverb, doubling, or anything to make it any less annoying than plugging the headphones halfway in.

Most "genre-meshing" which the music sounds like the musical equivalent of ice cream and hot sauce.

Songs without transitions between sections (with the obvious exception for grind which is founded on this idea).

Guitars that are panned directly in the fucking center with no reverb, doubling, or anything to make it any less annoying than plugging the headphones halfway in.

:D I was listening to a cd by a local band and thought my headphone wire was fucked up, I had to pop something else in to make sure. I understand having lo-fi recording on purpose, come on.

Bands with thin toneless weak guitars have always annoyed the shit out of me. That's not the point of playing guitar imo.

No one should ever listen to that piece of turd anyway.

Edit: I dont mind movie samples as long as they arent excessive in length. Mortician is the only band I've really found guilty of that.

Yea uh, that album has caused the premature death of 3 of my headphone sets and my laptops internal speakers. I love it so much, but I can't seeing my new headphones die because of it.