Musical Pet Peeves

No one should ever listen to that piece of turd anyway.

Edit: I dont mind movie samples as long as they arent excessive in length. Mortician is the only band I've really found guilty of that.

Shhhh, you just dislike them because they lack shirts.

I thought that Gorepoflesh album was pretty good tbh. Not something I'd listen to all the time (not that I'd be able to wololololo), but it's pretty good.

But what do I know, I don't listen to a lot of slam. :lol:

Metal bands with deep drums, low string detuned guitar riffs, and low growls. There's a whole spectrum of pitch levels, use it! The guitars can play high with the growls, or low guitars with shrieks or singing, is fine.

I can only agree with the loudness craze. I hate it when the levels are pushed to the max. If I want to listen to a record on loud volume there is a volyme knob I can use. I dont want the level on the actual recording to be loud as fuck.

I hate it when bands bury the bass in the mix. Im not one of those people who cant hear the bass. I have heard people claiming that the bass was so low in the mix it was hardly audible on everything from "ride the lightning" (Metallica) to "leviathan" (Mastodon). Im not one of those people - I know how a bass guitar sounds. I do dislike it when it is truly buried in the mix though, either that the sound is not distinct or that the actual volume level is to low.

Vocals to high in the mix. Can be very annoying.

Bands where all the instruments compete in the same sonic space. In metal most common in extreme death metal. Drums, guitars and the bass all compete in the lower ranges of the sonic spectrum thus making everything sound dull and without distinction.

Love songs. A meets B and it's just soooooooooo fine. :yuk:
And the sad love songs. A loses B and it hurts soooo bad. :cry:

I

just

don't

care!
:bah:
:zzz:

- Metallica rip-off riffs.
- Slayer rip-off riffs.
- Morbid Angel rip-off riffs.

Please note that I don't take offense to a band wearing their influences on their sleeves, but those 3 bands get their riffs lifted, almost note for note, chord for chord all the time and it's getting pretty fucking old.

- Drummers that rarely/never throw in fills.
- Movie sample song intros.
- Songs that reference other songs in the lyrics. Unless all songs in question are part of a concept album. Otherwise, it's just fucking cheesy.
- Weak assed guitar tones. Guitars need to have a distinctive crunch (not necessarily chugga-chugga shit, just a beefy tone).
Ya know I was thinking the same thing with 'about' slayer rip of riff wile I was watching CHIMAIRA Video the whole time, their kissing "their" ass, and I totaly agree with the part about how some times you can see that it is a total rip off just do to the circumstances. But its just plane monotany when you hear it "note for note", allthough the thought comes to mind, that I hear this comment about the 3 bands all the time!

Pregressive / tech / thrash that would be so great without vocals, but mostly have vocals so terrible that I cant force myself to listen
I think your right, even if the genra of thrash, is ok if you place speed with thrash, but if you place headbanging with thrash, and then just beat the hell out of the drum speed metal. Then its no surprise that you can't even sing to the music.

Really tinny guitar tones that sound like plastic.

And key changes in pop songs, usually during the last chorus.

Example = Living on a Prayer

They... they just sound really really gay.

Note- Key changes in most other contexts are epic.

Songs that don't known when to end. Repeating the chorus twenty times before the fade is just padding and wastes my time. If you're going to stretch a four minute song out to six minutes spend the last two minutes doing something interesting, dammit.