musicians with a million side projects

Mike Portnoy
Dream Theater
Liquid Tension Experiment
Transatlantic
OSI
Yellow Matter Custard (Beatles Tribute)
Hamme of the Gods (Led Zeppelin Tribute)
Cygnus and the Sea Monsters (Rush Tribute)
Amazing Journey (The Who Tribute)

But all the tribute bands were one-time things.

LadyValerie said:
Besides Arch Enemy, he's in: Witchery, Mercyful Fate, (ex)-Sinergy, Illwill, Dismember, Facelift, and Spiritual Beggars(with good ol' Per nonetheless ;)).
Thank you :)
Didn't know he was in Mercyful Fate, that's a surprise.
Actually, this raises a question for me: Can anyone tell me if Spiritual Beggars are any good or not?

Thing is, 90% of Portnoy's projects are one-offs and are now defunct. He's only really in 2 bands full-time: OSI & Dream Theater, and even that is mainly Dream Theater.

rammpeth said:
Do you think of it as an output for different types of ideas, or just spreading ones creativity too thin? i mean, guys like vintersorg or hellhammer, i bet if they stuck with just one project it would probably develop its sound faster/better. but then again i could b wrong. If Mikael had a million groups, maybe his opeth songwriting would turn mediocre or something, but i dunno, what do you guys think

If the ideas are good, sure. But take someone like Phil Anselmo who has 100 different bands and they all suck, well, it's a waste.

Steve Wilson, man. He's in Blackfield, No-Man, Bass Communion, IEM, and does his cover single series plus producing other people's albums and writing movies and who knows what other stuff, and his main band still manages to be the best one around today.

Kenneth R. said:
Thing is, 90% of Portnoy's projects are one-offs and are now defunct. He's only really in 2 bands full-time: OSI & Dream Theater, and even that is mainly Dream Theater.

Yeah, and look how awesome DT is... :err:

^I'm a huge fan of Wilson... but how can people not be?

lol. yeah. but if, for example, Aesgir from Spiral quit bork, and all his bands, and concentrated on spiral,,they prolly already wouldve released the album