Must-have iPhone/Touch apps?

updog

May 9, 2009
Finland
There must be a thread for this stuff, but I couldn't find one.

What are the best apps for these devices in your opinion? Which paid ones are a must?

Dropbox, FileApp, AroundMe, Skype, Trillian (icq,msn,aim..etc. client), last.fm, shazam, imageshack, remote
But most apps I use are german (news, online banking, dictionary, encyclopedia, DHL tracking, phonebook)

RTA (or RTA lite is really just as good with less options)
Speaker Pop if you do live audio
Doodlejump
Flight Control
GPS Drive
Peggle
Shazam
The Weather Channel
Dragon Dictation

Netflix, iBook, Dragon Dictation, Meebo, Tom Tom, Google Earth, Google, iStroboSoft, Tempo, BPM, Guitar Toolkit, Tab Toolkit, PS Mobile, Photobucket, iDisk, Yousendit Tracker, ONN, TiltMeter Pro, RedLaser, iCam, Air Mouse, FedEx, UPS, Midomi SoundHound, IMDb, Banner Free...

iBooks is free and you probably have it. Can be laggy with image-heavy PDFs

DailyBurn is killer, especially if you're into weights. Just enter in what you ate and how much, and it counts all your calories/protein/fat/carbs for you.

Math Ref Free and Quick Graph are some nice nerdy apps.

Gameswise, I dig
Tilt to Live (got this when it was free but the best game I have)
Angry Birds
GeoDefence, Geodefence Swarm
Lightbike (1 not 2)
Aztec Quest

Netflix, iBook, Dragon Dictation, Meebo, Tom Tom, Google Earth, Google, iStroboSoft, Tempo, BPM, Guitar Toolkit, Tab Toolkit, PS Mobile, Photobucket, iDisk, Yousendit Tracker, ONN, TiltMeter Pro, RedLaser, iCam, Air Mouse, FedEx, UPS, Midomi SoundHound, IMDb, Banner Free...

James, how are you doing with the iStrobosoft? Maybe I'm a noob to strobe tuners, but when I try to tune with it, when I plug a string, the tuner goes to the wild and only when the note starts to decay it goes to show you how intune the string is. So if I would want to tune the string to the pitch so that the initial plug of the string is in tune (I know this is very confusing, it's hard to explain :D), how would I do this? cause now I can just tune the decay of the note/string.

Thanks dude - so all it takes is changing the extension then, there doesn't have to be any conversion? I'm honestly quite baffled there's not an app for doing it on the iphone using mp3's you have on it (or if there is, I couldn't find it)

there does have to be conversion, but it's quite easy to do it the ghetto way. You can also pay extra for a song to be turned into a ringtone but that's the most retarded thing I've seen ever.

first of all, it has to be no longer than 27 seconds or Itunes doesn't recognize it as a ringtone, so you have to edit your mp3 to make it short and obviously to be the part of the song you want as a ringtone. You can edit it in any daw, but there's an easy way for dummies, like this:

1- in Itunes, rightclick the song you want to turn into a ringtone, and select "get info".
2- in the options tab, change the start time and stop time of the song to your liking (where in the song you want it to start and end), making sure it's no longer than 27 seconds.
3- hit OK.
4- Now right click the song again and hit "Crate AAC Version"
5- After the new version is created take back the start time and stop time of the mp3 to normal, or you'll get frustrated when you play that song in your Iphone.
6- right click the new aac version and click "open in windows explorer"
7- change the name of the file, change the extension to .m4r
8- now drag and drop this .m4r file to Itunes and voila, new ringtone

There isn't a normal appstore app to convert an mp3 to a ringtone cause you're supposed to pay for it but that's so ridiculous I don't do it. But there is a pretty cool jailbroken that can do that very easily, don't remember the name and don't have it installed right now
4-

Since new apps are being created and updated daily I thought I should revive this thread.

These days im loving:
iFunny - tons of hilarious meme's
Netflix Queue Manager - since Netflix is gay and only lets you use their app for streaming (which I dont have)
TinyShark - app version of grooveshark.com - awesome
Words With Friends - cant. stop. playing.

Im looking for some cool audio related apps too. Any suggestions?

there does have to be conversion, but it's quite easy to do it the ghetto way. You can also pay extra for a song to be turned into a ringtone but that's the most retarded thing I've seen ever.

first of all, it has to be no longer than 27 seconds or Itunes doesn't recognize it as a ringtone, so you have to edit your mp3 to make it short and obviously to be the part of the song you want as a ringtone. You can edit it in any daw, but there's an easy way for dummies, like this:

1- in Itunes, rightclick the song you want to turn into a ringtone, and select "get info".
2- in the options tab, change the start time and stop time of the song to your liking (where in the song you want it to start and end), making sure it's no longer than 27 seconds.
3- hit OK.
4- Now right click the song again and hit "Crate AAC Version"
5- After the new version is created take back the start time and stop time of the mp3 to normal, or you'll get frustrated when you play that song in your Iphone.
6- right click the new aac version and click "open in windows explorer"
7- change the name of the file, change the extension to .m4r
8- now drag and drop this .m4r file to Itunes and voila, new ringtone

There isn't a normal appstore app to convert an mp3 to a ringtone cause you're supposed to pay for it but that's so ridiculous I don't do it. But there is a pretty cool jailbroken that can do that very easily, don't remember the name and don't have it installed right now
4-

Nice one, will have to try that.