Must one look like a metal fan- to be a metal fan?

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
I have pondering this question for quite some time- and posed it to the opeth board some time ago, yet i was wondering what opinions a thrash oriented board would have.

I suppose my question is, does one have to wear metal t shirts, and have long hair, to be considered a true metal fan? And if so, why is it so important for one to associate themselves in public as a metal fan? I suppose this question involves all musical genres.

Originally posted by speed
I suppose my question is, does one have to wear metal t shirts, and have long hair, to be considered a true metal fan? And if so, why is it so important for one to associate themselves in public as a metal fan? I suppose this question involves all musical genres.

It isn't "mandatory." Only *few* of my friends who are metalheads don't look the part. Most of 'em DO, though!

It's very interesting to me that you posted this...and my answer is ...HELL NO!!! I'm constantly told that I look too "normal" to listen to the music that I have always listened to. I guess if you look "normal" you should only listen to music that's spoon fed to you by radio stations and Mtv..

Here's a question for ya...what exactly IS normal?? HMMMM this could take a while...think I'll get out some of my psychology books and study up... This would be a good thesis study. I could go to concerts and study the behavior and look of all the people at the show and try to come up with a reason why they look and act the way they do. How different types of music influences different behavioral patterns...this could take quite some time and force me to see many many live shows..ahhh the sacrifices I'll have to make for my degree...:headbang:

i got the long hair, but i don't, and half the time can't afford to, ware the t-shirts and hoodies of bands i like

i love all kinds of music too, so i don't want people to associate me with one style eg 'thrash' or 'death' or whatever.
I like anything from progressive to death to thrash metal to blues and jazz and techno and rave and anything that has a good beat.

nice one
dom

Clothes are trends that always overshadow the music. As Testament Legions said, it isn't mandatory and most of the people that do it, just want to fit in with their fellow metal-heads (i'm not saying all of them) I know people that like the metal look, but certainly there're lots of people that just do it to ''fit in''. Most of the time I don't look like a metal-head. I have short spiked hair and most of the time I wear baggy pants or jeans and shirts (although I do have jackets, jeans and black shirts and I use them pretty often)

Here's a question for ya...what exactly IS normal?? HMMMM this could take a while...think I'll get out some of my psychology books and study up... This would be a good thesis study. I could go to concerts and study the behavior and look of all the people at the show and try to come up with a reason why they look and act the way they do. How different types of music influences different behavioral patterns...this could take quite some time and force me to see many many live shows..ahhh the

As for your question, if you ask me there's no ''real'' normal. It's all subjective and up to the person, the people that are ''normal'' are the ones that follow the trends and are always wearing ''what's cool'' and acting in the ''cool'' way. People differ in opinions, but there's no real normal standard.

If you saw me (sometimes) you wouldn't even think that I listened to metal and the funny thing is that my most loved genres are the extreme metal genres (Death, brutal death, black and some grindcore).

I have a friend (wich listens metal too) and she looks pretty gothic. She wears makeup, skull rings (also a ring on her tongue) and most of the time she wears black clothes and she doesn't even listen to bands as extreme as the bands I listen to (Slayer, Metallica, Soilwork, Pantera, Marilyn Manson don't ask me why!) she listens to lots of other bands too, but that sums it up. Now what bands I listen to?

Nile, Metallica, Darkane, Soilwork, The Berzerker, Death, Obituary, Pestilence, Decapitated, Testament, NP... bah you get the point :p

That's an extremely gay attitude. I used to have hair down to my fuckin' waist, looked like a complete scraggly hesher. Nowadays I sport a buzz cut all around. I'm still metal inside though! I do miss being able to headbang with a huge mop on my head, although having such a low-maintenance buzz cut has its benies.

I don't think it is...everyone sees me as a chic who wouldn't listen to metal 'cause i've got such a decent attitude.

I have been accused of being a poser/not a "true" metal head for the following:
~not doing drugs or getting drunk (X)
~ listening to genres other than metal (opera, classical, techno, oldies)
~for not dressing like it
~for not fucking them (seriously)
~for being too young, therefore i'm making it all up and i'm really a poser 'cause what the hell would a 17 y.o. know about metal? (even tho they're only a few years older then me)

All in all...I tend to blow old-schoolers' minds away(especially them men :D ) when i share my knowledge lol. :lol:
:lol:
*ok that sounded really bad!:loco: *

:lol: @toilethead-So true haha (pretty funny name too :p )

Lmao!!!!:lol: I must be the biggest poser on this whole world then :lol: I don't drink, I don't smoke and don't ask me about drugs :lol: oh and to fill the cup i'm very easy going :rolleyes:

~for not fucking them (seriously)

Hahahahaha oh girl those guys have some STIFF issues :p

Those have to be some of the most idiotic reasons i've ever heard, I even listen to other genres (Classical, Jazz, Blues and some hard rock)

oh well I feel your pain Liz :(

Lmao@your last line-That sounded real real bad hahaha :lol:

ok now i'll be a little more serious.

I have to agree with the majority of the posts on this topic. When I was younger , and playing in bands more, I had hair down to my waist , had the long beard etc. I used to wear nothing but black and concert t's all the time. Fast forward to 2003 , I'm 26 and I am pretty clean cut and have a professional job. The hair is all gone , but the metal inside me is more alive than ever. People always say the same things to me as well like "I would never think you listen to that "crazy devil music". As soon as people say that to me I just discredit them immediately and realize that they just don't get it and how ignorant they are.

Whenever I get the chance I am more than proud to wear a testament concert t , or my dragonlord hoodie sweatshirt to work. But for the most part people generalize the "metal" look. They either think , A. Unemployeed and still living at home with mom and dad. B. Crappy labor job and no money, no future. C. Musican.

LOL :lol:

Now, the dream job is to play music, do the thing you love and get paid for it. The reality is that most of us will not acheive that. I guess living vicariously through kick ass bands like Testament are what keep it fun. I guess I'm just more realistic now. That is why I respect real metal bands that keep it heavy and never stop. They are living their dream.

So to answer the question, NO, I don't think you need to look metal to BE metal. I have never stopped listen to or playing metal and will be always be a big part of who I am. :headbang:

fuck no. I dress in Abercrombie and Fitch, J Crew, some real preppy apparal. I really don't like the "typical metalhead" image. Band shirts and shit like that, I don't oppose it, its just not for me. You also get a lot more attractive girls when you dress nicely. I take girls over bandshirts.

Check it out bro ... the back view for some reason picked up 2 dots from the camera's flash <shrug>

100_0058.jpg
100_0060.jpg