Must one look like a metal fan- to be a metal fan?

No way man. I am 32 years old. I always had really nice long hair (shit even girls were jealous of it LOL) until chemotherapy and radiation raped me of it. I grew it back, and then a few years later chopped it all off because I just didnt like it anymore. I still have more metal running through my blood than all these kids I see at shows with hair to their asses and their re printed Possessed tshirts. Its kind of funny because I dont look like I'm even 30 and with short hair people have NO clue in the world that I was at shows and listening to thrash metal way back in the day when they were still in diapers. (unless I wear an old t and even now you can buy them online) Sometimes things come up and you start talking to someone and they are like "holy shit...really?"
Ive been known to go to Deicide, Slayer, etc shows in a fucking John Mellencamp t shirt and loafers, I dont give a fuck what anyone thinks. Just be yourself is my advice;)

Yeah! You shouldn't give a shit about what anyone thinks. There are quite a few posers/wannabes running around in the scene with long hair, sporting metal t-shirts who don't_ know_jack_ shit about real metal.

Wonder about the lame-o's who always have to explain themselves :rolleyes:. True metalheads don't have to!!!

fucking right Hunger dude \m/

thats the fucking shit!

i just dress in whatever clothes are comfortable, i don't just wear black or band hoodies an t-shirts etc.
i normally just wear joggers and a t-shirt with a fleece, fucking metal or what?\m/

dom

It adds to MY ENJOYMENT as a fan, watching a metal band perform when THEY LOOK METAL . . . hair flying while the sounds rage! As an old school metal fan, I dress however I feel at the time. I have never been a slave to any "fashion police". I am a 54 year old woman who may wear concert shirts (even to my Accounting Office on friday) or business suits or anything in between. I have long hair, but often choose to wear it on top of my head for my own convienence.

But I LOVE metal no matter how I dress . . . especially Bay Area Thrash . . . TESTAMENT is my favorite band. Being a metalhead is a state of mind, not a state of dress.

On the other hand, it should be part of your metal commitment when you are in a Band to dress for the show . . . hair and clothing included!

:headbang: :headbang:

I looked like shit the only time in my life, after the service, with long hair.

First, hope it doesn't fall out after a certain length. Then, hope it falls straight.

I'm not even close to the metal look. Hidden had it right, living vicariously through those who are fortunate enough to look the part. If I could, I would.

I sport the streeter style myself, very tom-boyish, but i occasionally wear my leathers and steel with my long hair down. Regardless tho, i DON"T wear make-up! :D I have my biker jacket, my army jacket, and my spiked jacket along with my metal bondage accessories:) I love going from one extreme to the next! :) And it all depends what i feel like wearing and what week it is of course (i go to a vocational school) .

oh well I feel your pain Liz

Thanks Symphony. Too bad the only guys I can attract are 30 y.o.'s :lol: :lol: :puke:

nothing is wrong with 30 year olds :: drools ::, but it is illegal. I'm jailbait to them :lol: would be nice to find someone who isn't as old or older than my brother tho. ;)

Originally posted by LIZ METAL
nothing is wrong with 30 year olds :: drools ::, but it is illegal. I'm jailbait to them :lol: would be nice to find someone who isn't as old or older than my brother tho. ;)

OOPS (I'm red-faced)! I wasn't thinking 'that way', but you are sharp, kiddo. Thought maybe you felt us 'old people' were gross in general :lol:!

I have a follow up question, if anyone gives a damn.

So, does everyone believe that the metal look- or the hip hop look etc. are merely means of identifying oneself with a certain musical genre and from this musical genre certain cultural values are present. |(rap and the glorification of bitches and the hood- black metal and nazism etc) And if so, why is it that music seems to be the one artistic venue that seems to have such an outward effect on people- I mean i dont see painters or film buffs going around with any set outward appearance.

I'm not a psychologist or anthropologist- or sociologist- so i was hoping someone on this board maybe had some knowledge in these subjects.

Thanks Symphony. Too bad the only guys I can attract are 30 y.o.'s

:lol:

fuck no. I dress in Abercrombie and Fitch, J Crew, some real preppy apparal. I really don't like the "typical metalhead" image. Band shirts and shit like that, I don't oppose it, its just not for me. You also get a lot more attractive girls when you dress nicely. I take girls over bandshirts.

hehe that's my attitude also, although I remember one day I went to a friends house (with my metal look) and some chick asked him who the hell I was :lol: haha you can always find girls that like metal looks ;)

Yeah! You shouldn't give a shit about what anyone thinks. There are quite a few posers/wannabes running around in the scene with long hair, sporting metal t-shirts who don't_ know_jack_ shit about real metal.

Couldn't agree more with this statement, I know lots of try hard old schoolers that can't win a metal argument (that shows how much they know about metal)

So, does everyone believe that the metal look- or the hip hop look etc. are merely means of identifying oneself with a certain musical genre and from this musical genre certain cultural values are present. |(rap and the glorification of bitches and the hood- black metal and nazism etc) And if so, why is it that music seems to be the one artistic venue that seems to have such an outward effect on people- I mean i dont see painters or film buffs going around with any set outward appearance.

Generally the artist's looks are gimmick's, why hip-hop artists always show hot chicks on their videos? to promote and sell their music. From a fan's point of view the looks are to indentify oneself and fit within certain groups, if you dress ''metal'' you'll obviously attract fellow metal listener's (and if you're a male you'll find metal chicks ;) ) Music often sells by image (shitty music especially) I doubt Britney would sell if it weren't for her image. The metal look itself is a rebelious image and they are a response to the clean cut image of mainstream artists and bands, that's why most metal-heads use the image, to identify themselves and respond to the mainstream music listener's. The looks aren't bad themselves but they shouldn't overshadow the music and the attitude.

Hell, the masons have their own little club/religion type thing. I guess that's what the whole image thing is in a way.
I like sticking out...being the 'metal chic'. My friends make fun of me for it (lizzy worships Satan! or hails hitler!...something along those lines) They'll even mock me and start head-banging while waving the horns \m/ \m/....I don't care tho. I'm proud of who I am....with or without depression....

OOPS (I'm red-faced)! I wasn't thinking 'that way', but you are sharp, kiddo. Thought maybe you felt us 'old people' were gross in general !

LMFAO!! :lol: I'm sorry, that wasn't my intention! But, yea I like you people...I have a lot more in common with you 'old geezers' than with my own generation...christ, look at them! they're all losers!! They don't call us the lost generation for nothing you know :lol:

Well my hair is short, but my beer helmets be plentiful.
fcfe9538.jpg

Actually about 68% of the time I wear outfits like this. Im the big guy on the right.(but I guess I do have my M.O.D. shirt on underneath, so yeah I be too metal.. haha)
fcc49f7e.jpg

Well umm...I dress in normal casual clothing. Looks can be deceiving :p It's really amusing how these poser wanabee dress, with spikes and metallica shirts. Knowing that all they listen to is korn and similar nu-metal bullshit. Also here in PR the malls are infested with goth kids, it really makes me mad. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against real goths, I mean people who dress like that because it's part of their personality and they feel comfortable like that, not because they're following some manufactured fasion trend (Marilyn Manson anyone?). Not to mention I happen to find true goth chicks reeeeeaaally sexy :)

Well, being a metalhead is most important, showing it is not, but showing metalhead identity makes it easier to find and attract other metalheads though. Therefore I started growing my hair (it is now almost beyond my lower jaw) and wearing metal t shirts - but I have not that much, just 2 of Death and one of Slayer :(

Funny thing this is here on this board because I went to the LA Metal show on Saturday and I walked into the hall and felt totally out of place. I always wear leather when I go to metal shows albeit, shoes and jacket. Everyone stared at me and I figured it was because I didn't have a tee shirt and tennis shoes on. Go figure! :)

"Clothes DO NOT make the person"
"Fuck The Norm"