MXR M-80 bass DI+

Urgul

Jun 6, 2007
Poland
www.soundclick.com
I can't find any info about this pedal in here. I know some people say that SansAmp Bass Driver DI is better, but have you got any samples of MXR M-80, guys? Especially mixed. I have the opportunity to buy this one new cheper than in the store and that's why I ask. Is it worth to buy it?

Yeah I got one and use it everyday on bass :)

Really agressive or "fat", I prefer it over the Sansamp personnally. With a bit of EQ in your DAW you'll be able to get a large palette of sounds.
Check out www.perimetron.com (one metal band from which I mixed their EP, you can download/listen the songs from their website, I reamped the bass through it).
Check this too, we used the MXR with an Ampeg SVT4 and Gen Benz cab :
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/rate-my-mix-tone-threads/439765-rate-guitar-sound.html

I bought one(MXR) not long ago, and messed around with it last month for a bit. My bassist buddy seemed to like it better over his sansamp, but it seemed all the same to me.

Thanks !

Actually I found that the MXR sounds better when combined with an amp/cab than when used as a DI.
For this kind of sound, I always have a clean track (amp or DI or both) and a distorded one. I generally highpass the distorded one @ around 800 Hz, and lowpass around 2k. Sometimes what you need is to distort the low mids to get more fatness (around 400-500 hz), then I highpass around 500 or 600. It really depends on how the guitars sound, if they have a lot of body then you have to lower the low mids and scoop more in this area, if the guitars are thinner you can go for more low midrange in the bass. The aim is to obtain that "glue".