Sansamp BassDI or MXR?

doc_backmask

Aug 2, 2006
Dayton, OH
www.backmask.com
I'm looking into buying one of these two bass DI/overdrive pedals next month. My local store only has the Sansamp in right now, but I told them to get the MXR in. I'm impatient and would like your input as to which sounds better during both recording and live. Many thanks to you all.

doc
--
Bass, BACKMASK

Sansamp. I've owned a lot of their units dating back to the original sansamp classic and they're quality. That old box is sitting about 12 inches to my right and gets used on everything I can think of from drums to vocals.

Bass Driver is a monster tool and make sure when you're recording to always take a clean DI signal onto a separate track and save the decision of how much of the "dirt" track to blend with it until mixdown.

I have the MXR M-80, I like it...but it's not perfect for me. The gain is more like a fuzz than an organic overdrive...but I'm going to change out the passive EMG pickups in my Spector and see if that helps. I hate those damn pickups.

I'd really like to try the Sansamp, I hear nothing but good things.

SansAmp. I'm also in the "I've heard nothing but good things" group. For recording I've found it to be extremely useful, and it's never taken long at all to dial in an appropriate sound. As for live situations, I know that Mike D. from Killswitch uses the SansAmp, and apparently he runs his amp EQ flat, so he can run through anyone's bass rig on tour and still get his tone nailed.

For the metal tone I've been looking for, I've gone with the M-80 DI. The Sansamp was just no where the sound I was looking for. Not saying it's a bad unit, but with the M-80's color switch on, gain about 9-10 o'clock, and the blend a little over 9 o'clock; I get the perfect growling picked tone.

You could also try out the behringer copy, its only £30 quid and has a great tone. Not quite the same, but then its not £190!

Using my BTB405 with a Sansamp, I couldn't really find a heavy tone that I liked. It all sounded too loose and fuzzy. For cleaner sounds I can get results that I'm happy with though.

Hi Gain said:
You could also try out the behringer copy, its only £30 quid and has a great tone. Not quite the same, but then its not £190!

Yeah the Behringer is very cool for the price!
We compared it in a live situation with the mighty GurD fuckerz and the Behringer was a bit more noisy but than again it's only 39€ and it souns very similar...

I advised our bassist to try one out and buy it if it's good. I've seen a lot of possitive reviews but never heard it, neither live nor recorded. So..anyone willing to post a clip playing around with the settings :)? Will be very appreciated. Thanks.