My Bad - POD vs. 5150

Genius Gone Insane

http://www.¯\(°_o)/¯.com
Aug 19, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
www. ̄\(°_o)
Maybe a month or two ago we were discussing how the POD just doesn't seem to cut it, at least for a lot of us. One of you (can't remember who) said to me, "If you have a 5150, why the FUCK are you recording with the POD?"

Well at first I thought whoever said that was ignorant. I record music during the late hours and figured that the 5150 would be way too loud for the neighbors. Plus I got this Digitech ValvEFX thingee that Grip Inc supposedly uses. The ValvEFX (direct) never really cut it either though, despite sounding better than the POD.

Anyway, tonight I said fuck it and brought home the 5150 and a shitty, shitty ampeg cab. I mean shitty--I bought it new from Guitar Center like 10 years ago for 300 bucks. It was good for a starter.

OK anyway, I plug the 5150 into that fucker at like .25 volume, not even at 1, just hella quiet. I threw in the Tube Screamer (thank you all for suggesting that fucker) and HOLY SHIT my guitars sounded incredible. Instantly fit perfectly in the mix. I can't believe how great it sounds. Thank you all, seriously.

If you can't beat em, join em, I guess. I want to say that I should have just caved in and done this a while ago, but I spent so much time EQing the POD and ValvEFX (to little avail) that my EQ skills on guitar have improved a lot.

OK, sorry for rambling on, but I just wanted to share it with this board.

Sincerely,

MC Ren

PS: If anyone's in the East Bay tomorrow, we're all getting wasted at the King's X in Oakland so join us.
PPS: I think the new Fear Factory is rad. Guitars don't sound as good as they used to but whatever, the album kicks ass.

that's great man!!
there really is nothing like a good 'ol tube head and a 4x12 cab.
now you have to really push that thing and have it on atleast 2 volume wise and then it will sound even better.

the 5150 has this amazing knack for never sounding that great to me by itself in a room without any pedals but the sound really sits well within a mix.

post some clips :headbang:

peace

james