My Dying Bride

They should have kept the violinplayer. He was magnifficent!! After "Like Gods" the music wasn't that good. Thatt %album is on of the worst.

I saw them in 1997/1998 (dont remember) in Almelo (Holland) and that was one of the last shows before their big break.
The first show after their big break I was there too (Hardenberg Holland) But I missed the violin.

Does anyone have the 2-CD digibook version of Turn Loose the Swans with the commentary disc? I'd like to know if they explain the meanings of songs. I'm particularly interested in what they say about "The Snow in my Hand" and "Songless Bird." I can't find it uploaded on YouTube or anything so I was wondering if anyone here has access to it. Thanks.

Came in here all excited to see some MDB discussion, read through the first page only to find... :lol:

On topic (since I'm here), I'd really struggle to pick a favourite / best album with them being one of my all time favourites. Stylistically they haven't had a particularly consistent career however I think they have maintained a certain quality throughout. I really like every single album except Evinta (which doesn't reeeally count) and sadly their latest, The Ghost of Orion.

If I had to pick? It'd probably be between The Angel and the Dark River and The Dreadful Hours. Songs of Darkness, Words of Light would have to receive an honorable mention.

On topic (since I'm here), I'd really struggle to pick a favourite / best album with them being one of my all time favourites. Stylistically they haven't had a particularly consistent career however I think they have maintained a certain quality throughout. I really like every single album except Evinta (which doesn't reeeally count) and sadly their latest, The Ghost of Orion.

If I had to pick? It'd probably be between The Angel and the Dark River and The Dreadful Hours. Songs of Darkness, Words of Light would have to receive an honorable mention.
Turn Loose the Swans for both best and favorite with Angel and the Dark River coming in second.

As to your point about them nothing being stylistically consistent, I think they became somewhat disillusioned after 34.788%... basically went over everyone's heads and from Light at the End of the World onward they went back to more familiar songwriting. Really interesting trajectory compared with Anathema and Paradise Lost where the former kept evolving and never looked back whereas the later did what MDB did after experimenting for a few years.

Reactions: Podgie
As to your point about them nothing being stylistically consistent, I think they became somewhat disillusioned after 34.788%... basically went over everyone's heads and from Light at the End of the World onward they went back to more familiar songwriting. Really interesting trajectory compared with Anathema and Paradise Lost where the former kept evolving and never looked back whereas the later did what MDB did after experimenting for a few years.

Good point. 34.788% did go over everyone's head and divided the fan base at the time. I think it's reception contributed towards the disillusionment you speak of - which may well have played a part in why The Light at the End of the World is such a straightforward record. I love both 34 and Light, by the way. And the couple of albums which followed ('Dreadful Hours' and 'Songs of Darkness...') are highlights of the 2nd half of the band's career, but I would've been interested in hearing where the band had ended up if they'd carried on down the more experimental route...

For the record I'm a big fan of those mid-era Paradise Lost records too. Especially One Second, Believe in Nothing and Symbol of Life.

Good point. 34.788% did go over everyone's head and divided the fan base at the time. I think it's reception contributed towards the disillusionment you speak of - which may well have played a part in why The Light at the End of the World is such a straightforward record. I love both 34 and Light, by the way. And the couple of albums which followed ('Dreadful Hours' and 'Songs of Darkness...') are highlights of the 2nd half of the band's career, but I would've been interested in hearing where the band had ended up if they'd carried on down the more experimental route...

For the record I'm a big fan of those mid-era Paradise Lost records too. Especially One Second, Believe in Nothing and Symbol of Life.
On my last listen to Light (which was last weekend) I felt it suffered from Fear of the Dark syndrome where a handful of tracks are standout whereas a good chunk of the album sounds good while you're listening to it but isn't particular memorable. Hopefully will get to The Dreadful Hours again soon because I remember loving that one. A Line of Deathless Kings, too.

Reactions: crimsonfloyd