My First Guitar

Originally posted by Immortaldemon
Price range is $400 - $700. Maybe a bit more or a bit less.

But i can't sreally spend more than $950 on both the Guitar and amp so if I want a good guitar then I might have to get a cheaper combo amp.

Carvin guitars are the best value at the mid - upper range. Neck through, locking tuners, ebony fret board, etc.; plus you can choose whatever combination of tone woods (at a margninal cost) that floats your boat. If you don't know too much about tonewoods, check out this site. I have the DC150 (its sort of SG'ish) with a flamed maple top, it gives me a sort of Les Paul sound with better high's.

I'm not sure what the shipping to UK would be though, so you might want to email them.

Thanks dune that site about the different woods, it really taught me a lot about the different tones and such.

The carvin guitars do seem a little bit to expensive unfortunatly and they would probably cost a fortune to ship to england.

Keep the suggestions comin' guys.

Thanks dune for that site about the different woods, it really taught me a lot about the different tones and such.

The carvin guitars do seem a little bit to expensive unfortunatly and they would probably cost a fortune to ship to england.

Keep the suggestions comin' guys.

Yamaha has got to be hands down the best starter guitar manufacturer out there. the one I bought from my friend used is over 5 years old now, and it's still in amazing shape. Some guy I knew bought an epiphone and his brother bought a hamer and both of them broke within 2 months of their purchase. The Yamaha Pacifica series is a great series for a starter. Really helped me a lot, and I just picked up my new more permanent guitar in the form of a B.C. Rich Paltinum series beast. I would strongly recommend a used instrument as well for a starter as you can cut the costs of something that will be expendable anyways. I kept the yamaha because I probably wouldn't have gotten more than $50 for it anyways, so it's not worth the trade considering how well it plays. My brother is 9, so when he gets to be maybe 12 I'll give it to him so we can jam it up and be like the amott brothers :lol:

Hmm, this is strange, i wrote a long post for this thread a couple of hours ago. Now it's not here. Maybe I fucked up and clicked reset instead of submit. Oh well, I can't be arsed to write it again. Basically, it said "check pawn shops, I found my first guitar, a Fender Stratocaster, for around £100 at a pawn shop. Both cheaper and better than a new squire or similar junk. Then I traded it for a nice Epiphone and got a good deal on that one too."

Originally posted by xenophobe
I'd stay away from any of the newer Marshalls. They're all mass-produced, cost-effective, cheapest component POS amps that they can charge top dollar for.

As for guitars, I'd stay away from any Ibanez that's under $500... their products (high end) are pretty decent, but they want too much money.

~ I disagree. I purchased an Ibanez GSA60 about 9 months ago for right around $200 and have not one complaint about it.

~ I purchased a Marshall DFX30 (with digital effects) watt amplifier for around $250 and it sounds better and louder than more expensive and more wattage amps that I have heard.