My Interview With DT

Nt3N

Dark Tranquillity Italia
Jan 3, 2005
Mestre (Venice)
www.darkillity.net
hi all!

in 8 days I'll make an interview with DT at evolution festival :) as I would like to make a very variable interview, I think it might be a good idea if you suggested some questions or some topics to be asked..

my idea was to focus on the next album without being too specific (as they won't reply to specific questions anyway).. but I could also cover some other topics and so on..

if u have questions to suggest, please feel free to post them here :)
I will select the best questions and add them to my yet long list..

thanks, nico.:kickass:

Quick fire questions:

What's their favourite beer to take around on tour?

Who do they think would be fun/suitable to tour with on the new album's material?

Are meet and greets with the fans: A) A pleasure B) a burden C) Indifferent, it's part of the job. Annnndd.... Would it depend on where and what band they are in support of?

Are they playing the scottish ragnarok festival? All POS for them has been removed from ragnarok's sites. If they are... is their a plan to unleash a track from the future?

If they have to choose between playing in corpse-paint (a-la Immortal) or butt-naked - what would they choose? :D

I saw this Q in some otehr band's interview, so it's not my sick imagination... or is it??? :heh:

Hi kiddies,

just a quickie about the Ragnarok festival: We're not playing, and it was never announced on our homepage either. An unfortunate communication fuckup is the reason why we were mentioned in the line-up, but we're simply not able to take time out of our booked schedule for a festival show.

Thanks for the infos :p

My questions :

What does the sentence on the splash teaser means? (i hope i misunderstood it :p)

How do you guys build your song : you all meet and play, or work at home and bring idea or...?

What about another DVD with old songs and news ones but not the ones from the previous DVD?

Can we expect the new album soon? Or will it take forever like Character (i know there was label negociation involved but I cant wait!)

Any plan on playing Dry Run live? :p

You played ...Of Chaos on last tour, any plan on playing it again or another old song (and please, be sure among your fans in all countrys, people know olds song, so dont feel you must kick them when you happen to have less time to play than expected (/crying frenchman)).

Do you reckon you have a good sound when you play live? In my case i was often sad to have the impression you were just an opening band and no attention was brought to your sound (or it was just the places where you played maybe?)

Any plan on a pure headlining tour?
Do you reckon you could play longer on stage or the 1H 1H15 seems the max?

What do you think of all this tour with opening band and headliner which have very differents styles? Diversity is not really what the fans like and they pay to see half a show in the end...

Caotico said:
Hi kiddies,

just a quickie about the Ragnarok festival: We're not playing, and it was never announced on our homepage either. An unfortunate communication fuckup is the reason why we were mentioned in the line-up, but we're simply not able to take time out of our booked schedule for a festival show.
:cry: Gutted I am. No worries. Thanks for letting me know.

Caotico said:
Hi kiddies,

But how about corpse paint? I thought that was the real reason... :saint:

PLEASE ASK THIS!!!!!

Why do you guys always close with Final Resistance? Any plans on changing that in the future?

Killermik said:
What does the sentence on the splash teaser means? (i hope i misunderstood it :p)
:lol: thanks for making me see that splash page!

it's a great one indeed. :)

Killermik said:
Do you reckon you could play longer on stage or the 1H 1H15 seems the max?

They have played longer sets on some gigs, albeit not very often. I'm pretty sure they will gladly play longer if they are just allowed to do so. It's all up to the organizers / promoters.

As for how the songs are constructed, that is a question they have partially answered many times before, but my curious mind won't leave it alone until I get a perfectly clear picture of how it all works. This is what I know of the song-writing process this far:

Each member of the band writes down (and often records) parts, riffs, ideas, etc. Then they bring those forth for the whole band to try out and analyze. They try different arrangements and combinations, democratically voting out parts that don't fit. In the end, through trial and error, they have created a complete song, which then goes through several transformations until it is ready to be recorded / tried out live.

Is this correct?

What I'd like to know is a full example of a song's evolution, something like this (an imaginary example follows):

1. A new DT song needs to be created for the forthcoming as-of-yet-untitled album. The band-members gather together at the training room, bringing with them all the song-ideas they have come up since the last session.

2. Anders has a previously recorded haunting piano-piece with him, and he plays it for the others.

3. After listening a while Martin H. takes his guitar and plays the same melody, making small adjustments in the process.

4. The others make comments about the piece they are listening, agreeing that it sounds promising.

5. Martin B. takes over the keyboard and gives the piano a different, creepier sound. Anders jumps behind the drumset, Niklas and Michael add their instruments to the mixture.

6. Mikael starts making some nonsensical growls, trying to find the correct rhythm for the vocals and adding a whole bunch of Swedish swearwords in. The whole band plays this crude early form of the song a couple of times through, making small changes here and there.

7. Martin H. plays a thrashing guitar-riff he had thought about last week, believing it might fit the song well. Anders is against the idea, saying that it doesn't fit his impression of the song. After a brief discussion they decide to vote about it; Martin's riff gains enough support to be included in the song.

8. The whole band plays this new incarnation of the song. Michael improvises and adds a massive bass-solo in the middle of the song! The others quickly ask Michael to leave the bass-solo out ("This is not jazz, Micke!").

9. Mikael goes through his papers and finds some lyrics that might fit the song. After several changes to the previously written lines he is ready to try out the vocals. He tentatively names the song Evasive Understanding, but this is just a working title.

10. They play the song through a couple of times and take a break (and a couple of well-deserved beers). Adding a solo might be a good idea and Niklas tries a couple of fast ones he had thought yesterday. One of them seems to fit and the other guys nod, approving the choice. They try the song once with the solo in the middle.

11. Suddenly Michael suggests they should put the solo in the very beginning of the song instead of having it in the middle. A short argument and a vote follows, and in the end Michael's idea gets through: the solo is moved into the beginning of the song.

12. Satisfied with the day's work, the guys go back to their homes (or to the pub). Next week they come back to make a few more changes and to suggest some new parts. They discuss different options ("Perhaps we should try clean vocals with this?") Mikael has finished the lyrics, calling the song now Collateral Understanding. He still needs to change a couple of lines, but the basic structure is now ready.

13. A few months later the song has gone through several changes, but is now finally ready to be recorded. A new DT masterpiece is born!

Now, how far off am I? What parts of my imaginary example sound completely unrealistic? I know it might take longer before the lyrics are put in, but I didn't want to leave that aspect out of this example.

Finally, could you do this kind of a detailed example of the evolution of a song from the forthcoming album?

-Villain (who once tried to write down some questions for a DT-interview and only came up with terribly detailed ones such as this)

Ah...so that's where the Nokia spycam in the rehearsal room came from ;)

Seriously, it's pretty close to how it works. We usually email ideas back and forth instead of playing them for the first time in the rehearsal room though, since it's more efficient.

Nothing in this imaginary example seems that far out though (maybe jazzy bass solos haven't appeared that often...), so it's all perfectly viable. And of course the amount of changes/revisions made can differ a lot between songs. A few of them have been very close to the home-made demo versions whereas some are totally different.

It's a bit too much to actually make a log like this for one of the new tracks, and it's nothing that one tends to remember in detail either, but now you know how it works in theory.

Killermik said:

Touch oneself means masturbate. I can see that DT is going in a very weird direction. :p I can't wait to hear the new album. (and yes, InsignifiCunt does seem to be a good title now) I bet it's gonna be sweet sounding and sexy in theme like Queen Adreena. XD

As for my questions:
What are your standards for sound quality?
Do you have control over the live sound equipments (mixing consoles, amplifiers, speakers), or does that depend on where you perform?
Do you try to keep the sound engineering on live shows as natural and close to the original sounds as possible?

My questions would be...:

What did ye think of yer Latin American Tour? (If it ever was called that way...)

Will you be coming back to Costa Rica again? (Plase do! Please do! :cry: )

What do you think of new In Flames?

Will DT ever experience such a drastic change of direction?

Will Niklas produce/help another album for IF?

Will you include clear or female (or both) vocals on the new album?

Will you include acoustic-style solos? (Flamenco Gothenburg metal. Yay :p ).

What beers do you usually drink?

What are some bands that you like?

Will you include Yngwie J. Malmsteem as a special guest in your new album? (That would be SO FUCKING AWESOME!!! The best of Sweden playing on one album :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: Go DT and Yngwie!!!)

Which videogames do you play, if any?

Will you release an LP version of the new album?

Well, that's waht I can think of now hehe :p , I'll add more if I can imagine something amusing.

PS: Caotico was Niklas right?

Villain said:
They have played longer sets on some gigs, albeit not very often. I'm pretty sure they will gladly play longer if they are just allowed to do so. It's all up to the organizers / promoters.

As for how the songs are constructed, that is a question they have partially answered many times before, but my curious mind won't leave it alone until I get a perfectly clear picture of how it all works. This is what I know of the song-writing process this far:

Each member of the band writes down (and often records) parts, riffs, ideas, etc. Then they bring those forth for the whole band to try out and analyze. They try different arrangements and combinations, democratically voting out parts that don't fit. In the end, through trial and error, they have created a complete song, which then goes through several transformations until it is ready to be recorded / tried out live.

Is this correct?

What I'd like to know is a full example of a song's evolution, something like this (an imaginary example follows):

1. A new DT song needs to be created for the forthcoming as-of-yet-untitled album. The band-members gather together at the training room, bringing with them all the song-ideas they have come up since the last session.

2. Anders has a previously recorded haunting piano-piece with him, and he plays it for the others.

3. After listening a while Martin H. takes his guitar and plays the same melody, making small adjustments in the process.

4. The others make comments about the piece they are listening, agreeing that it sounds promising.

5. Martin B. takes over the keyboard and gives the piano a different, creepier sound. Anders jumps behind the drumset, Niklas and Michael add their instruments to the mixture.

6. Mikael starts making some nonsensical growls, trying to find the correct rhythm for the vocals and adding a whole bunch of Swedish swearwords in. The whole band plays this crude early form of the song a couple of times through, making small changes here and there.

7. Martin H. plays a thrashing guitar-riff he had thought about last week, believing it might fit the song well. Anders is against the idea, saying that it doesn't fit his impression of the song. After a brief discussion they decide to vote about it; Martin's riff gains enough support to be included in the song.

8. The whole band plays this new incarnation of the song. Michael improvises and adds a massive bass-solo in the middle of the song! The others quickly ask Michael to leave the bass-solo out ("This is not jazz, Micke!").

9. Mikael goes through his papers and finds some lyrics that might fit the song. After several changes to the previously written lines he is ready to try out the vocals. He tentatively names the song Evasive Understanding, but this is just a working title.

10. They play the song through a couple of times and take a break (and a couple of well-deserved beers). Adding a solo might be a good idea and Niklas tries a couple of fast ones he had thought yesterday. One of them seems to fit and the other guys nod, approving the choice. They try the song once with the solo in the middle.

11. Suddenly Michael suggests they should put the solo in the very beginning of the song instead of having it in the middle. A short argument and a vote follows, and in the end Michael's idea gets through: the solo is moved into the beginning of the song.

12. Satisfied with the day's work, the guys go back to their homes (or to the pub). Next week they come back to make a few more changes and to suggest some new parts. They discuss different options ("Perhaps we should try clean vocals with this?") Mikael has finished the lyrics, calling the song now Collateral Understanding. He still needs to change a couple of lines, but the basic structure is now ready.

13. A few months later the song has gone through several changes, but is now finally ready to be recorded. A new DT masterpiece is born!

Now, how far off am I? What parts of my imaginary example sound completely unrealistic? I know it might take longer before the lyrics are put in, but I didn't want to leave that aspect out of this example.

Finally, could you do this kind of a detailed example of the evolution of a song from the forthcoming album?

-Villain (who once tried to write down some questions for a DT-interview and only came up with terribly detailed ones such as this)

glad niklas answered to this very interresting question here.. otherwise I'd have to book a 4-hour-long interview :loco:

anyway, what you wrote is really interesting and good news it's also close to how they do it :headbang:

6 Stringed Fingers said:
Touch oneself means masturbate. I can see that DT is going in a very weird direction. :p I can't wait to hear the new album. (and yes, InsignifiCunt does seem to be a good title now) I bet it's gonna be sweet sounding and sexy in theme like Queen Adreena. XD

Oh my god :OMG:

What and see :)

Nt3N said:
yeah, Caotico is Niklas indeed ;)

hehe I knew it. Wow he has a lot of posts, I mean, in comparison to the other band members whic have at the most 5 if I'm not mistaken.

Please ask them some of my questions!!! Tell me if ye liked any, I don't want to get my hopes up thinking that you'll ask them some of mine :cry: :p .

Yngwie + DT !!!!