My latest mix

Getting a 6505 this week, so I'll reamp through that when I get it. Guitars are probably slightly overgained so I'll remember to watch out for that. Other than that what do you guys reckon?

I'm getting pretty content with my mixing right now, but I still feel there are some things I can improve on, so any pointers would go down well.

Here

And here it is Reamped through a 6505: Reamped through 6505

Cheers guys!

Got to say that's a killer tone. I've been doing some serious home recording at home dude, is there anyway you could give me an insight on down you got that full tone?

:kickass:

This is just a podXT right now. I could upload a patch but I think it would be pretty useless. Its a pretty boring answer but just make a patch thats paired with your style of playing and your guitar. I spent about 10 seconds making this patch, its basically just for tracking purposes.

Once its in the box, I just apply effects to it in relation to what it needs. Just got some slight EQ adjustments and multiband compression on them.

Sorry its such a rubbish answer, but thats all there is to it.

Glad you liked it guys. What do you all think of the drums?

Hey I can't believe you got that tone out of an XT, I thought that was a mixed amp for sure. Top marks, as the guy said I've heard some commercial stuff sound poorer. Plus I used to have an XT and sold it coz I wearn't happy with it.

The drums sounded kick ass, maybe a bit higher in the mix, is what I'd do, but hey that's just personal preference.

Sounds really good, and tight. These drums were played by a real person? It sounds like a damn metronome (maybe just compared to what I record haha).

I think in my opinion the kick is just a tad too loud. Barely. Very barely.

The guitars sound good. Who cares what you used.

sounds pretty good dude! nice pod tone. i just recently got an XT but haven't really gotten the chance to track anything with it.

sounds like your hitting your 2-buss compressor or limiter too hard though, making the mix sound a little small.

cheers!

Yeah DFHS for the moment too, all the samples are from DFHS too though, except one on the snare blended at about 30%. I noticed my mixes are a bit small compared to other stuff, I try backing off the mastering compression a little.

Charlie: Good luck with your PodXT, I love mine - really useful when tracking guitars!

Cheers guys much appreciated.

I always look foward to your clips! :headbang:

What do you use for limiting?

I find I always have the snare totally dominating the mix as it always gets lost once limiting is applied. :mad:

Trial and error and I'll get their eventually. :zombie:

Cheers man. My mastering chain is:

URS A MIX EQ -> C4 -> Tritone Digital Colortone -> Timeworks Mastering Compressor -> L2

The C4 is the key in my mastering chain. I use very little EQ, just a hi pass at around 35Hz to get rid of the super low and DC stuff, and a slight shelf boost from 12kHz. The colortone is using an impulse of a Dangerous 2 bus.

Just found out my 6505 is arriving tomorrow before 12, so I'll reamp these guitar tracks through them for my first clips with it. :headbang:

Yeah I'm trying to get a 5150/6505 aswell.

What is your threshold on your L2? I can really only get it up to the loudness comparable to most mixes on here if it set to like -6db or so. Must be my poor mixing. :cry:

L2's threshold is on about -1.5 at the maximum. The sonic timeworks compressor and C4 and doing most of the compression. Try figuring out the C4, once you get that working for you, I find the loudness comes easy. I don't really struggle with the drums losing too much punch these days.

how you're using C4 - compressing highs?
sounds great except of snare - for me its to weak
kick sounds really good