My Latest Purchases Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Krigloch the Furious said:
I'd say Iron is a tad better. But when you get a chance get Wintersun. Its the leadsinger/leadguitarist band. Its like Ensiferum x 3. Damn good shit!!! :headbang:

edit: Winter Madness

Video from the first song off the cd.
Get the fuck out of here! Are you kidding me? I've got this promo sitting in a pile somewhere....I thought it sounded like friggin' Children of Bodom. I'll give it another go.

"Ensiferum x 3" are bold words my friend....we'll see, we'll see.....

ScottG said:
JAG PANZER - Casting The Stones $12.50
FALKENBACH - Ok Nefna Tysvar Ty $13.00
Sweeeet.

The new Jag Panzer may just make my top 10 this year. It's leaps and bounds better than Mechanized Warfare IMO. It's weird because bits of it even remind of Symphony X (group harmonies etc).

That Falkenbach did make my top 10 of '03.

JayKeeley said:
Get the fuck out of here! Are you kidding me? I've got this promo sitting in a pile somewhere....I thought it sounded like friggin' Children of Bodom. I'll give it another go.

ok ok..so x 3 is a bit much. but Im loving this shit. and I dont think it sounds like CoB at all.
theres blast beats.
the ensiferum sound.
keys that add a ton to the sound.
and its epic.
:headbang:

JayKeeley said:

Wintersun are okay. Definitely better than Ensiferum. Although, I do not like Ensiferum.

J. said:
i shall check out Wintersun. it better not sound like CoB
Let it be clear, I love the Ensiferum debut but other than the fact that this is the ex-lead singer/vocalist, I would not even put these two bands in the same league. There is no "Token of Time" or "Old Man/Little Dreamer"....

Wintersun is lots of echoing keyboards, hyperfast programmed drumming on the fast songs, and really speedy Stratovarius-like riffs swamped in that finnvox production sound....mostly with death vox. That's why I thought of CoB. (I do recognize however that Ensiferum also incorporate euro-power metal into their music, but not this blatant). There are some highlights though, like "Sleeping Stars", "Death and the Healing", "Beautiful Death", and album closer, "Sadness and Hate" (which admittedly is superb). Also note, the better songs are those that slow things down IMO.

Four good songs out of eight, so it all depends on what constitutes paying for a half-decent album, assuming you're not downloading it of course.

programmed drumming???

"Kai Hahto from the Finish Grindcore/Death Metal band ROTTEN SOUND playes on "Wintersun" and provided the album with a hellish pummelling in all of the right parts."

Krigloch the Furious said:
programmed drumming???

"Kai Hahto from the Finish Grindcore/Death Metal band ROTTEN SOUND playes on "Wintersun" and provided the album with a hellish pummelling in all of the right parts."
Yeah, I dunno, I think that's probably more accurate for the slower songs perhaps where the drums actually sound real. Plus, the press release lists Jari with "vocals, guitars, bass, and all programmings"...and some of these drums sound really programmed/triggered.

Regardless of whether it's programmed or real, it's all dependent on your personal taste in how you approach click drum patterns played at that speed with little correlation to the mid-paced riff.

It's kinda like a stick being run across railing bars - 'clickclickclickclickclick', etc - while your humming the national anthem. It just makes no sense.

Arrived from Vendlus (finally):

Especially Likely Sloth - But If What If He'll What Ant
V:28 - NonAnthropogenic
Agalloch - The Grey
Lamented Souls - The Origins of Misery
Lycantropen DVD

and from NAD:

Sculptured - The Spear of the Lily is Aureoled

What you need now is some Rotten Sound live-video where Kaitsu is playing. The man is a drummachine and his playing looks so easy. You might want to check www.kaihahto.com out, although it's very minimal site. I've seen him live few times and he's just like in records.

NicodemiX said:
Arrived from Venlus (finally):

Especially Likely Sloth - But If What If He'll What Ant
V:28 - NonAnthropogenic
Agalloch - The Grey
Lamented Souls - The Origins of Misery
Lycantropen DVD

and from NAD:

Sculptured - The Spear of the Lily is Aureoled

:headbang: :headbang:

fotmbm said:
Spaffe: Did you order Kampen from Shamaatae ages ago like me? If so mine might also be on the way

i did, but i called it off and asked for my money back since it took such a long time; i posted about it but it seems you missed it, there's also an annoucement on his homepage

spaffe said:
cddisc.gif
: helheim - nidr ok nordr liggr helvegr (good good good stuff)
See? Told you. :p

hehe yeah, even some of that doom you recomended was really enjoyable, i think i at least will be getting stream from the heavens some time soon; preferably the gf-vinyl :cool:~~~~

Status
Not open for further replies.