joeymusicguy

Sep 21, 2006
indiana
www.myspace.com
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=607398&songID=8799943

this is shredderforhire's band, i produced their LP last fall

don't really care if stuff with the mix sucks
mostly stoked on the production
it's got everything from record scratching, chaos pad, video game noises, to wah solo's and pure shred

dude's voice is really hard to work with, just so you know
its heavily eq'd because he's so shrill... it left a few low mid's that aren't pleasant but taking them out buries the voice.

hope you enjoy!

nice work joey, maybe a few too many of these backward-snare(/cymbal)-reverb-effects for my personal taste, but otherwise its really good

sounds like a fun band. I dig
I wish i got bands like this. Makes the engineer automatically sound 10x better haha

if it makes you feel any better

almost everything you hear is post production

we just tracked guitars and vocals, everything else is post production
(aka, me and nick sitting at computers all day)

Sounds good, but the vocals are sticking out too much and have too much reverb. I know its not your style but perhaps go for a BFMV take on the vocals, with a fair amount of chorus. Sounds a bit empty in the low mids too. Apologies if this is the only post in the thread with something negative to say ;p hopefully it helps you.

That riff at about 1;20 sounds awful to my ears.. like MIDI :/

if it makes you feel any better

almost everything you hear is post production

we just tracked guitars and vocals, everything else is post production
(aka, me and nick sitting at computers all day)

any particular reason drums were programmed vs live tracked?

thanks!

nick sampson played all the guitars, phenomenal player, seriously.

Am i incorrect, or is there no one in that band name Nick Sampson? According to their myspace, there is a Nick Pobursky

Sounds awesome in many ways. I agree there are a bit too much "reverse" effects. I also feel there are way too much effects between 2:40 and 2:50, it sounds a bit random and as if you couldn't decide which of them to use so you left them all.

The vocals might be a bit loud but not in an irritating way.

any particular reason drums were programmed vs live tracked?

Am i incorrect, or is there no one in that band name Nick Sampson? According to their myspace, there is a Nick Pobursky

Very weird situation brian.
I quit touring last year to pursue a production career. They felt that they should put the touring guitar players name on the myspace instead of mine.(which I'm fine with)
I do 100% of the writing in the band and I'm still responsible for studio performance and in this case vocal editing, bass and drum programming.
But I, Nick Sampson, am a legally contracted member of I am abomination. We have a touring guitar player take on the road duties.
Hope I cleared it up haha

Sounds awesome in many ways. I agree there are a bit too much "reverse" effects. I also feel there are way too much effects between 2:40 and 2:50, it sounds a bit random and as if you couldn't decide which of them to use so you left them all.

The vocals might be a bit loud but not in an irritating way.

all the effects were planned

as in, i sat down with the finished song, (which had no effects at all) and put each one in

Sounds good, but the vocals are sticking out too much and have too much reverb. I know its not your style but perhaps go for a BFMV take on the vocals, with a fair amount of chorus. Sounds a bit empty in the low mids too. Apologies if this is the only post in the thread with something negative to say ;p hopefully it helps you.

i'll kill the verb a bit, cuz i agree with you

vocals are supposed to stick out a little, a song is nothing to me without something to say.

some of this stuff is supposed to sound digital and "midi-like". you're not supposed to have this image of a rock band high fiving and rocking out. its people, computers, robots, aliens, and lazer beams.

I think the sound effects in it are fuckin ace imo there is just enough in it, and to me the vocals are perfect where they are the amount of reverb on it gives it a good feel...damn good job man

hm, its only a legato / tapping riff... why do all people hate tapping ? ;-)
its still my favorite guitar technique, hehe!

production is cool! liked the odd time tapping riff, reminded me of dillinger escape plan !

This sounds awesome and this band is fucking incredible, great work dude!

Joey, how are you getting Trillian to do downward slides and hammer on/pull offs? Do you have to load up a seperate instance of it with legato settings or what? I've been trying to wrap my brain around this for a bit now, would come in handy!