My metal tone!first decent one i've done (IMO)

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
Hey guys. I know I havent posted here much (I plan to change that!), but if you guys could listen and critque my tone i'd be much obliged. This is the first one i've actually put some time into and really wanted a good result. I think it came out pretty good but still not perfect.

My setup is Schecter c1 xxx guitar - ubermetal distortion pedal(acting as a TS to tighten up the sound)- Mesa F50 combo - Boss GE7 - dual 57's (fredman technique) - Firebox - Cubse SX3. I recorded two separate takes panned 85 left and right and then another take with a differnt tone a variation on the riffs. Then copied and pasted it and panned hard left and right. All the takes had a DI'ed track going in too which I didnt end up using the way I intended(which was to add amp sim tracks). I just mixed the clean DI really low in the mix for more articulation.

I used EZ drummer with the DFH add on for the drums. I replaced the kick and snare though(well actually blended the DFH ones in slightly, just used the overheads and room mics). The kick was andy sneaps and the snare was andy sneap's with a couple others mixed in. I used the c4 on guitars and did the standard hi pass(60hz) and low pass(12k). I did some other eqing as well in the lows and low mids. I used the L3 over the whole mix.

That's about it. The playing isn't the tightest I know. I just kept the first takes. I was a little pressed for time. I also havent added in bass yet. I will the second time around after following whatever advice you give. Thanks guys!

http://rapidshare.com/files/40680376/Melodicdeathguitartone-02.mp3

p.s. Sorry for the rapid share link. I tried lightningmp3 and gavins uploud page and both didn't work! Lightningmp3 never had given me issues before. It was the first time i've tried gavins though. It said invalid email address the first time and another time it said invalid upload. I made sure both were correct though!..

does the link work for you guys? I posted this on homerecording.com and people are saying it doesn't work. I tried it on my computer and my brothers and it does work...

the link works for me... generally you have to wait for it to upload before the link works... if you did that, then I have no idea why it didnt work for anyone else...

the tone sounds a bit fizzy/brittle... and the playing is sloppy... :)

uhm... so wait... you copied and pasted tracks? ... thats pointless... lol.

yeah, sloppy... fizzy/brittle...

I would maybe try a single 57 aimed right where the dustcap and the cone meet... ditch the ge7... and mess with that...

record 4 separate tracks and blend those... but play it tighter or it'll just sound like noise...

on first listen I completely bypassed the drums... they aren't really there until the blast part... then they just kind of sound like noise.... :)

oh, if I sound a little harsh, but hopefully it doesnt come across that way... I mean it with the most of positive of criticism.

I'll try your suggestions. After owning the f50 for a year now I have to say im a little dissapointed with the high gain channel. I played three separate takes. I only copied and pasted the third one so I could pan it hard left and right. I didnt just record one take and then copy it 3 times. The drums I just did really quick to have the guitars over. Yeah I will also put more effort into recording the riffs next time.

well here is another attempt. Last one for tonight. It's almost 12am and I have to get up at 4am!. I ditched the ge7 and moved the mics away from the dead center a little bit. I still dont think it's that great but i'll keep trying. The playing again was rushed. I only had a few more minutes left to blast the amp. I think it's still tighter than the last one though.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=8121

Sounds better... are there still two mics?

maybe boost the mids a tiny bit...

a cool thing for you to do would be to find a guitar tone you like, bring it into your daw and try to manipulate the eq to achieve that sound... then listen back to it and eq your amp to get it as close as possible... that way on your final tracks you dont have weird phase issues from over eq'ing...

yeah still two mics. Tomorrow i'll experiment more. Thanks for listening. I refuse to beleive it's the amp and not me. I mean I like it when I play it live so I must be able to get to to sound good recorded. And besides, i've heard recordings thats sound awesome with much worse gear.

Hey Eric,

you are getting better with each try. That means only one thing: keep trying.

Seriously. The difference between the first (where I thought you had the EQ on "phone" setting) and the last recording is huge. Well done, so far!

thanks a lot guys. I appreciate the kind words. I almost felt like giving up on this. How much of a difference do you think it would make if I got a 4x12 closed back cab with v 30s? I'm using the cab in my combo amp right now which is a 1x12 semi open back cab with a celestion black shadow speaker.

yeah that's what I thought. I got a thing in the mail from guitar center with platnum financing which means I don't have to pay for 15 months. I hope I qualify. Otherwise there really is no way I can afford to buy a 4x12 cab. I guess we'll see by friday.

lol. Well I actually do have one. It's just that it's maxed out. I wasn't too clear with what I said. They said if I make payments that the limit could go up. I wasn't sure if this platinum thing they sent me in the mail was something different. I hope I can get something. I would really like a new cab. Once I pay off my loan(5 more months to go), i'm getting another one to make some equipment upgrades. Till then i'll manage with what I have which isn't to bad considering i'm 22.