3.5 - good
3 - pretty good/decent
2.5 - average
2 - below average
1.5 - craptacular
1 - bad
.5 - downright awful
0 - target practice

Se each song gets a numerical rating above. Then all the songs are "tallied" to give you a total of say, 42. Take that number, divide by # of songs, get a number like 3.6. Take that number, multiply by 2 (to get to a rating of 0-10, as opposed to 0-5), and voila, album rated. :loco:

Why do you people have to rate, rank and order everything? Fuckin lame.

edit: why not make it out of 10 initially and avoid the step of multiplying the dividend by two?

is dividend the right word? haven't done math in years

Demilich said:
Why do you people have to rate, rank and order everything? Fuckin lame.
i'm pretty much siding with you these days. although i do hang on to a simple 5-star rating at times, but that keeps it nice and simple. gave up on ranking stuff though, i think what killed it was JayK's ridiculously extensive Top 38 Albums list he had us assemble last year. :dopey:

it's the only way I can possibly keep track of what I like, what I don't like (beyond just simple "feel"), and since so many albums wind up similar in the 7-10 range, this helps me differentiate between truly great records vs. very good ones, and so on.

I keep the songs at 5-pt scale so it's easier for me, though I suppose it could be worked out that everything could be a 10-pt scale. I forget the exact reason, but I did it this way on purpose. I was probably stoned though, b/c now I can't remember. :tickled:

JayK knew I was insane about this.

markgugs said:
For songs:
5 - unreal
4.5 - great
4 - very good
3.5 - good
3 - pretty good/decent
2.5 - average
2 - below average
1.5 - craptacular
1 - bad
.5 - downright awful
0 - target practice

Se each song gets a numerical rating above. Then all the songs are "tallied" to give you a total of say, 42. Take that number, divide by # of songs, get a number like 3.6. Take that number, multiply by 2 (to get to a rating of 0-10, as opposed to 0-5), and voila, album rated. :loco:

What if one song is like, disproportionally longer than others?

For instance, GENESIS - Foxtrot. "Supper's Ready" is easily a 5 song, while the rest are 3.5 to 4. This would leave it with about a ranking of 4 (there are 6 songs). BUT Supper's Ready takes up roughly half the album, making it about a 4.5 album. In other words, you'd have to add in song length to get a better idea of how good the album is.

Rating stuff sucks.

Rating song by song is gay if you ask me . I rate albums on pure feeling and that's it . And I'm no reviewer..

What about banning notation btw?

I guess the distinction is that I go by feel to determine what I like best. Also, I don't think along this path: X melodic death album from 1996 is Y amount better than Z fusion-prog-psych-core release from 2005. No point to me. They have absolutely FUCK ALL to do with eachother, so why bother?

Thanks for explaining why you do it though, I find it interesting that you have to attribute numbers to albums to determine which albums you like best. EIRWIRIWIDIDS(sp?)!

Well that's where simply using your own discretion comes into play. For example, it is statistically impossible to score a 10/10 without rating every single song a 5 out of 5 (or 10 out of 10, whichever you prefer).

However, for me, if an album has at least HALF its tracks as brilliant, that album gets an extra bump from me. All I know is once I associated words with numbers, it was easier for me to say which I loved, which were simply ok, and which were bunk.

Demilich said:
I guess the distinction is that I go by feel to determine what I like best. Also, I don't think along this path: X melodic death album from 1996 is Y amount better than Z fusion-prog-psych-core release from 2005. No point to me. They have absolutely FUCK ALL to do with eachother, so why bother?

Thanks for explaining why you do it though, I find it interesting that you have to attribute numbers to albums to determine which albums you like best. EIRWIRIWIDIDS(sp?)!

It's because I have 1200+ metal CDs, and honestly, outside of the 50-100 that I know & love best (99% of which are older, b/c I've had them for so long), I really can't keep track.

I love boobies said:
i've never judge an album based on song by song. i go for album feel.

That is something that is taken into account, certainly. And that's not something I can "measure" quantitatively, either. My personal example would be if you took Operation: Mindcrime song by song, it might not come out the 10/10 that I consider it. But as an album, it clearly is.

Most bands can't put together cohesive albums to save their lives anyway, so it's a moot point more often than not.

markgugs said:
Well that's where simply using your own discretion comes into play. For example, it is statistically impossible to score a 10/10 without rating every single song a 5 out of 5 (or 10 out of 10, whichever you prefer).

Statiscally yeah , no album in my top ten gets 5/5 for each song . It's just that I usually don't enjoy track-by-tarck type of albums , and that's statistically proved :loco:

I would agree with that; basically, this all came up as I was trying to determine which albums to part with, and which to keep, and the tough calls were the ones with 4-5 great-to-unreal tracks, and 4-5 clunkers. The overall score just isn't that good, but those 4-5 great tracks make the album worth keeping.

Capece?

gugs: similar situation here, except my collection is 1/10 the size, so same goes for the number of albums i know very well. it's also a lot less diverse, which probably makes it easier to realise which albums i like best. i'm gonna stick with going by feel though, it just seems to make the most sense. i may never know what order i'd rank the majority of my catalogue in, and i don't intend to lose sleep over it. but more power to you and your ranking system!

I feel bad for keeping an album with a bunch of amazing tracks and yet with 60% filler material . Good luck for the "cleaning" .In those cases , it's all about nostalgia or because it dosen't sell more than 2 bucks , even on eGay :D

markgugs said:
I would agree with that; basically, this all came up as I was trying to determine which albums to part with, and which to keep, and the tough calls were the ones with 4-5 great-to-unreal tracks, and 4-5 clunkers. The overall score just isn't that good, but those 4-5 great tracks make the album worth keeping.

This is where i'd bring sentimentality, fanboyism, and how you rate the band in general into the equation. I'd keep a half-great half-crap album by a band I loved (Katatonia - Tonight's Decision and LFDGD have songs I skip usually) while I'd almost immediately toss a cd by a band I've never heard if half of it was garbage.

Exactly. I gave the new Helloween, for example, a 7.5/10 (probably overrated it by .5-1), but there are 5 GREAT tracks, a couple OK ones, and about 5 flat-out bad ones.

But it's Helloween, and to me, that means I'll keep it as part of my collection; if I had a first listen to a new band that got a 7/10, it'd be gone.

I gave each post in this thread a numerical rating. "Tallied" them all up to give me a total of say, 75. Take that number, divide by # of posts, get a number like 0.6. Take that number, multiply by 2 (to get to a rating of 0-10, as opposed to 0-5), and voila, this thread 1 star.

Reign in Acai said:
I gave each post in this thread a numerical rating. "Tallied" them all up to give me a total of say, 75. Take that number, divide by # of posts, get a number like 0.6. Take that number, multiply by 2 (to get to a rating of 0-10, as opposed to 0-5), and voila, this thread 1 star.

This post alone brings the thread rating up over 1 star.