First Song with Completed Vocals NEEDS HELP!!! vocal chain included

kernelxsanders

Bam Bam Boogie Bear!
Jun 11, 2010
Tallahassee, Fl
i spent all of last night reading up on vocal mixing and tried to apply what i learned to a vocal track on a song from my band, and its pretty much the first time dealing with vocals in a somewhat decent vocal chain. chain goes specifically as follows so that you know exactly what im working with and can point out what i need to change:

TL saturation
-input: 1.5 db
-attack: 0%
-release: 100%
-driver: 100% with boost and 2x

RVox
-gate: gain: 0
-comp: 14.6

JS noisegate: -34 db

RComp
-thresh: -18
-ratio: 10.13
-attack: 50
-release: 60
-gain: 13

Q10 EQ
-125 Hz: +2.5 db
-5 kHz: +1.5 db
-12 kHz: +4 db

Parallel EQ
-62.5 Hz: +3.5 db
-250 to 4000 Hz: +1.5 db
-8 kHz: +12 db

Waves DeEsser: -10 db
JS saturation: 100%
plus a little bit of stereo imaging and GClip

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8017980/landofthefreeandhomeoftheslaves.mp3

*Updated mix with new vocal chain
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8017980/defiance.mp3

theres supposed to be a guitar solo at the end but i didnt feel like recording it for this thread because it would take so many takes. also, pay no attention to the sloppy scratch guitar tracks that i recorded in one take, as well as the drums having old samples on them, when time comes for mastering, i will take care of all that stuff.

now, that being described, what can be touched up? because i feel like the vocals sound almost robotic and throaty-like. note, it didnt sound so much like that until after i put the chain on it. but i really want to get this thing sounding nice and huge, SO PLEASE HELP ME OUT HERE!!!

also, what do you think of the yelling vocals towards the beginning of the song? he's got a pretty good Comeback Kid style, but i cant decide if it fits or if i should have Lars from Kids Like Us record that part. opinions?

I actually really like the vocals! im on some kinda crappy speakers, but they sound good imo! maybe missing a little in the like 500-700 area for a little warmth. That may fix the "throat" thing. But i like it :)

the vocals could benefit from more presence and less lows and lo mids. Especially the cookie monster vocals have a bit much low mid content which makes it sound muddy. the critical area for that kind of vocals can be easily squeezed to this kind of range without losing anything crucial:

angelkiller_vocals.jpg