My preference in metal singers

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
I might differ from many. But there are many vocalists out there that I hate when they sing in high registers, but love when they sing low.

Lance King is on example. His high registers turn me off. But when he uses his deeper voice, that is stronger and fuller he's great.

Urban Breed is another example. He has an amazing voice in the low range, and is definitely one of my favorites. But when he goes falsetto he sounds like everybody else that does it. Thus, when I want to hear him, I tend to only listen to the stuff that he mostly stays in the lower register for.

Perhaps its just that I'm not impressed by the metal falsetto. But I think moreso its that the lower register has more warmth, variance, and character. Chris Salinas is another example. Nils is another example purely because I think he has the most annoying high register known to man.

There are some exceptions though. I enjoy when Ralf is screaming at his high register.

ah - another reason you don't like to attend the shows I produce. ;)

because if I had my druthers, I'd surely put together a show that featured bands including Lance King, Urban Breed, and Chris Salinas. :p

I like all those vocalists a lot. I just like them best when they aren't in the falsetto. Which is one reason I like Lance's new band a lot, and some of his old stuff a lot.

I only have one album with Urban singing on it (Modus Vivendi) and i have to say that I absolutely love it, but it's only a promo so it gets lost between other discs and i forget i have it... point is, with my limited exposure, i can't really find fault for my personal tastes in Urban's vocals. I think he does an awesome job.

But for me it's not about enjoying a falsetto or not, but really who's doing it. As long as it's got power and conviction and the person doesn't bitch out near the end and let it just fall off, it'll rock.

Another example is that dude from Pagans Mind who's also in Eidolon now (at least he was on the last album... I honestly don't know his status anymore with either band) but he does a wicked King Diamond, but doesn't seem to let that into his regular vocal stuff too much, but again i only have limited exposure to him as well.

I could ramble on forever, but i won't. blah.

Edit: one final name to throw out: Mats Levin

It all depends on their delivery of the material and the emotion that they convey for me... Take Tom from Evergrey... he doesn't have a tremendous range but the emotion...pain...fear...aunguish... that he portrays in some of their lyrics really move me like no other... There are some lines that King Diamond sings that gives me chills every time I here them (the end of Victimized when he says, "Let me tell you what I've seen in the house lately, I've seen your daughter here coming and going when the dark is near")...
"Do You Dream Of Angels" by Balance of Power... Lance sings hi and low on this and shows his complete range... that song moves me as well...
I could go on and on but for me it's all about the emotion...

It all depends on their delivery of the material and the emotion that they convey for me... Take Tom from Evergrey... he doesn't have a tremendous range but the emotion...pain...fear...aunguish... that he portrays in some of their lyrics really move me like no other... There are some lines that King Diamond sings that gives me chills every time I here them (the end of Victimized when he says, "Let me tell you what I've seen in the house lately, I've seen your daughter here coming and going when the dark is near")...
"Do You Dream Of Angels" by Balance of Power... Lance sings hi and low on this and shows his complete range... that song moves me as well...
I could go on and on but for me it's all about the emotion...

Amen.

Depending on the type of song, type of album, genre of band, etc., my preference in the voice of the singers varies. What sticks out for my tastes is does the high pitched wail of a Kotipelto match the epic proportions of the song? Does Breed's low voice match the depression conveyed in Tad Morose? Do the growls match the ferocity? And so it goes...

Yet, I can't stand female lead vocals in metal bands.. they just don't match imo. Anyone else?

Honestly? I'm more of a fan of Baritone frontmen in metal. I can dig a good tenor, but the high screams can annoy me after awhile. There are a few metal tenors who I REALLY like, Michele Luppi is one of them. But overall, I'd rather listen to someone like Mathias Blad.

I like singers all over the map. I enjoy Nils high vocals, because they give me chills, but his lows do as well. Daniel from PoS is the best example of a singer that has one hell of a range and sounds good doing it all, but his lows are my fav lows from any other singer period. Take Used for instance, his lows in that song give me chills, but then so do his highs in the chorus.

Love Lance's voice, no matter what range he sings in, same with Urban, here is another i absolutely love and his is not a falsetto JOHN WEST, absolutely powerful, and natural in all ranges.

Hmmm... I do tend to prefer singers who stay lower most of the time--the prime example for me is Geoff Tate, as I prefer his later-era singing (well, I guess that's mid-era now) to the earlier stuff. But I still like the high stuff once in a while. I also prefer lance's lower-end stuff, but I think that's because his voice sounds thinner to me when goes higher than say, a Dio or even an Urban. Salinas and Nils I'm not big fans of in general--nothing against their singing talents, but I don't like their bands enough to have much of an opinion on them.

I'm just racking my brain trying to think of Urban doing falsetto...?? lol I guess I'm going to have to ask him when he does it.

Not metal, but speaking of falsetto, Steve Hogarth of Marillion has been using much more falsetto recently, and I'm not wild about it. Once in a while, which is how often he used to do it, is good (Now She'll Never Know), but it seems as though he's using it on every other song these days (if not more).

Shaye

I like a singer who utilizes both high and low ranges depending upon what he is singing. Andy B. Franke, Urban Breed, and Zak Stevens are among my favorites that do this very well.

~Brian~