NOSTRADAMUS

SavaVIDude

Savatage Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
Houston, Texas, USA, Earth
I just got through listening to this CD again and I believe it is by far, Priest's opus. I have loved Priest from the start, but this CD is just amazing. The story is great. The production is amazing. Halford's voice is as good as ever. I especially like the soulful power ballads where he uses his lower registers.

This, IMHO, is an exponential musical growth for JP and is very lavish. I was fortunate enough to see them perform the entire CD live and it was amazing. I am always amazed how Halford's voice remained stellar, even as he aged.

Would love your thoughts on this incredible work.

Chris :Spin:

I just got through listening to this CD again and I believe it is by far, Priest's opus. I have loved Priest from the start, but this CD is just amazing. The story is great. The production is amazing. Halford's voice is as good as ever. I especially like the soulful power ballads where he uses his lower registers.

This, IMHO, is an exponential musical growth for JP and is very lavish. I was fortunate enough to see them perform the entire CD live and it was amazing. I am always amazed how Halford's voice remained stellar, even as he aged.

Would love your thoughts on this incredible work.

Chris :Spin:

To each his own I guess. I'm a huge Priest fan but could not made it through the whole double album more than twice. Too long, too many boring intros, they lost me quickly. I have to say that I was never the biggest fan of concept albums to start with. But my single edited CD-R with most of the crap cut is very good.

Looking forward to the next Priest disc, a "normal" metal album as it seems, which is great for me.

Since you asked!

I have three major problems with it. I feel like the songs are just poorly arranged and are evident that this band wasn't ready to do write a rock opera or needed an outside guy to consult with them on how to arrange it better. Everything from the lyrics, to the boring uninteresting interludes, and all the cringe-worthy cheesiness and general lack of Priest's identity just fell flat. There's an alarming lack of riffs as well - I would dare say that even Turbo was a heavier record than Nostradamus. They should have taken a few pages from Arjen's book before making this record - or straight up hired him on to help write it. Half of the record is boring and uninteresting, a quarter of it is cheesy and embarrassingly amateurish, and another quarter of it is passably good.

My second major problem was the production. Nostradamus sounds like KK recorded everything on Cubase with a 2007 model Line 6 POD XT, used cheap sounding freeware orchestra samples, and the drums sound like a drum machine. How can you literally have one of the most talented drummers in heavy music and not use him on your record is beyond me - but it's ridiculous. From a production standpoint, it sounds like a demo some 18 year old kid recorded on his laptop. When you think about guys like Michael Romeo and Arjen doing the same kind of thing for less than half the budget, and 50 x better sounding, it's pukeworthy.

And my third major problem was honestly, the subject matter was stupid and spinal tap tier. Couldn't they have thought of a better concept for a concept album? Maybe there was a way to make Nostradamus' life cool, but that didn't come across very well. I remember the Blabbermouth review of this album commented on this, but if they had truly thought of something cool here, what was the need in constantly shouting "I am Nostradamus!" throughout an entire song (and the entire chorus of the title track, which is anotherwise great song, is virtually the same thing)? It's almost as if they knew they didn't have enough to go on.

I don't see how anyone could seriously defend it aside from "it's PRIEST! MAN, HALFORD CAN SING ANYTHING AND I'LL BUY IT!"

I love it. One of my favorite albums of that year. However, it's a definite stretch calling it their opus. They've got too many classic albums to call it that. I'm just glad they had the guts to do something like that. I really wish I could've seen the whole album live.

I concur with AeonicSlumber on all points, but like the album anyway. There are things about it that bug me when I listen to it, but I still listen to it.

One of my least favorite Judas Priest albums. I like some of the songs on it, but I get bored listening to the whole double album in a single sitting. This is coming from someone who never gets tired of listening to Priest. I loved "Angel of Retribution."

I don't have a strong opinion in either direction about it, really. I enjoy listening to it, but it's not something I'd get excited and tell all my friends about. But it's not something I'd hate or complain about. It's just there.