My review on: Metallica's "Death Magnetic"

JGMetalhead

Anti-humorizing DL Whore
Mar 22, 2009
New Jersey
Album Rating: 70%

Introduction
Of course Metallica has been a band I would listen to from time to time. They are one of the very reasons I am into metal today and I respect that. Unfortunately Metallica takes change way too over-excesively AND I MEAN ITS TOO MUCH CHANGE!!! They should of stayed the way they are after they made Master of Puppets but they were sort of alright after that. And Justice For All was unfortunately their last victorious album in the metal community and unfortunately after that they made a bad reputation of themselves. Here we are with Death Magnetic... It's of course nothing new and maybe slightly an improvement from the couple of crappy albums they made over the past 10 years. I may sound harsh but undeniably I am right and its right to the point of saying METALLICA GTFO OR GO BACK TO OLD SCHOOL! I saw them live at Reading festival not too long ago... It wasn't bad but the performance sounded a bit different than it was off the albums, though the festival itself sucked ass (Thank god it was free cause my cousins dragged me along, and yes their taste in music is crap). The album itself was very average in a bad way, it is worth a few listens from time to time, but seriously its not what I was expecting for so long. In fact I was dissappointed with this album and thought they didn't put the effort they should have and it seemed softer than their previous releases (Hence what happened to the heavyness). All they do now is pretty much is slack off on their album work now a days. Yes they don't even sound like good old Metallica anymore. Whatever... I'm sure you don't want to hear my harsh but truthful rambling. Overall I could say this could be one of the most contraversial albums of its year as well. Lets get on with the review!

Track Rating
(+1) Track 1 - That Was Just Your Life
So were off to a fine start, I can recall similarities of this track to Enter Sandman and Sad But True. From what this track tells us, I'm sure Metallica is trying to put together their past and ressurect their old selves in a way. I must say the beginning of this track is VERY nice indeed. The guitar and the blasting drums in the beginning start to get your groove on really well. A long track and a long journey it is to be. Overall this track wasn't that bad, however I think Hetfield's vocals got much worse over the years and throughout the album yes he does sound like this. This is not a good thing at all but the riffs and structure around the song seems quite electrifying however I think they should of kept Mustang in the band if this shit was gona happen. But then again James doesn't sound too bad though he does sound much worse than on any of the other albums. This song does have a nice kick to it therefore its a gooden.

(+1) Track 2 - The End Of The Line
Another kickass beginning, one thing metallica is surely good at that you can expect... KICK ASS BEGINNINGS. This song wasn't bad as well but to be honest its probly a bit better than the first track. That being said I think this track is yet another gooden bringing the thrash in the game and the kickass melody Metallica use to have (sort of). It sounds kind of groovy like the last one as well but still its gooden.

(+1) Track 3 - Broken, Beat & Scarred
Yet another kickass beginning once again... bravo. The introducing riffs and blasts of the drums last longer than the previous songs which isn't a bad thing but the vocals come in and sort of weaken it a bit. I think the last song was better than this but hey at least this is better than the openning track which is good. This isn't bad at all and stands out fine.

(-1) Track 4 - The Day That Never Comes
It sounds like a fucked up version of "One". This track is awful and I prefer just skipping it while going through the album. Seriously enough said... Worst song Metallica ever made or at least one of them (I'm sure a good amount on St. Anger is worse than this but its pretty awful).

(+1) Track 5 - All Nightmare Long
Alrighty now were kicking it. The last track was definitly worth skipping to get to this one. An amazing openning yet again! Good work Metallica! I would say this is the best openning compared to the previous songs thus far. They really take the riffs to another level and Lars kicks it up a notch with the drumming. This sounds something sort of new on their part which is a great thing. I seriously think they should of made a music video on this track. It gets a little cornier but it seriously isn't bad, its more punky than the previous thrashy songs but its quite fine and better than the openning track for sure. If some gay queerbag from green day or something sang in this, it would probly suck so that being said... vocals play a big role as well indeed.

(+1) Track 6 - Cyanide
Alright another great beginning. Really digging this track so far, probly the best track out of the previous selections as of now. Great job again Metallica!!! Your getting your shit back in gear THATS GREAT! Maybe the next release will be even better? Oh and the solos in this song are pretty freaking wicked.

(-1) Track 7 - The Unforgiven III
Alright I also like the beginning in this song as well!!! Piano in an Unforgiven song!!! Holy crap awsome! This really drags my attention. Such well played orchestra thats for sure. The spontaneous baseline is probly the best part of this song. A little later this track gets a bit much corny. Sorry Metallica I think you messed up Unforgiven twice too many... . However the ending isn't bad but it doesn't completely make up for the whole song.

(+1) Track 8 - The Judas Kiss
YEY again openning owns. Very nice I'm really diggin this better than the last song. IN FACT MUCH BETTER! This seems like the best song on the album so far compared to the previous songs as far as the whole structure goes. Enough said, great track indeed, a gooden for this album indeed as well.

(+1) Track 9 - Suicide & Redemption
Another great openning once again. You have quite a record of opennings Metallica! The transitioning openning baseline is pretty sick as well. After listening for over 4 minutes you begin to understand OH WAIT ITS AN INTRUMENTAL DOY!!! Hey its a pretty nice one though .

(+1) Track 10 - My Apocalypse
Wow fucking amazing openning as well. Good closing track I must admit. I think this would be the 3rd best track on the album thus far. Not bad Metallica! Maybe the next release will be a hit in both the underground and the mainstream!!!