My semi-review of Powerfest...

eaeolian

Division Guitarist
Feb 11, 2002
Woodbridge, VA
www.division-usa.com
...and I say "semi" because I really don't have much to say about Friday's band. Yes, band - singular - since the only one I managed to see was Eldritch. By the point I saw them, I was so angry, tired, frustrated, and despondant that I wouldn't be giving them a fair shake.

(I'll tell that story in the "other stuff that happened" thread.)

Saturday didn't start off much better, since my ticket disappeared in transit, so Scott had to go get Molesto to get me in.

Mirror Black:

In all honesty, I expected the Nevermore clonisms I'd heard in the demo tunes. They sounded much more original playing live, and had a pretty good amount of energy. A good start to the evening, even if I did have to watch them from the doorway. ;)

Twelfth Gate:

Different. Very, very different. Took me two songs to even get my mind around it, since it was SO different. After that, I'll say that Red performed very well, had good energy and presence, and the rest of the band performed just as well. I'm not sure what to think of the change in sound yet, but the overall performance was very good - I'd actually have enjoyed them more if I wasn't so familiar with them. I'll give them a lot of credit for having the balls to go with a completely different vocal style, since they know there's going to be at least some backlash. Rob could actually play without looking like he was going to vomit this year, too, which was a plus. :lol:

Ion Vein:

Quite simply the best IV show I've seen since Powermad, all those years ago, and maybe even the best show I've ever seen them put on. I'm not so familiar with the new tunes, but they did grab me and sounded really good. Russ' vocals were spot on - Bruce from Agent Steel couldn't stop raving about him during the performance - and the version of "Painkiller" was impressive, to say the least. Andy is SUCH a good fit for this band, Flash was his usual perfect self, and C-Lo gave the best Powerfest show I've seen him have yet - apparently, he wasn't as stressed this year, 'cause he played perfectly. I look forward to the new disc, and to seeing these guys again - the future is definitely bright.

Nocturnal Rites:

Amazingly, devestatingly, lacking-words-for-it good. I like their last few discs ("Shadowland" and forward), but I was not prepared for them to be THAT good. In a night of good performaces, they were head and shoulders above everyone else. Great energy, presence, and the real sense that they were just having a blast up there. They drew heavily from the last two discs, and just nailed everything.

Morgana Lefay:

Started a little rough, settled down after Tony's guitar issues were resolved, and generally kicked ass after that. Sadly, we had to leave a few songs after that (though I did see "Red Moon"!), since Scott had some issues (mostly caused by walking around on the bare concrete floor of the venue), so I had to take him back to the hotel. Charles sounded great at the beginning, though I heard he had issues later, and they generally seemed to be smoking it up out there - even handling the techinical problems with a nicely sarcastic sense of humor.

Overall, a great night of metal. I'm really finding myself hoping that Mr. Kelley's Music Box upgrades a bit before next year, though - the stage and sound were good (though the soundman really seemed to have issues with mixing two guitars, but this isn't unusual), but the venue itself was pretty spartan, and I miss the food from JJ Kelley's. While the soudn was generally pretty good, it was mind-bendingly loud on Friday (when we got there, anyway), and seemed a little "cluttered" on Satuday, like he was just overpowering the room to get it to sound good on Friday, and then Saturday paid for it by being quieter, but getting hurt by all the hard surfaces.

Other minuses were Nocturnal Rites and Agent Steel not bringing shirts (damn you both!), and, of course, Biomechanical ran out of shirts in my size. :(

I'll be back next year, though, for sure. The bands were top notch, and minor quibbles aside, it was a positive experience overall. I'll post the non-band things (of which there are many) in another thread...

Biomechanical are devastatingly powerful on stage! Extremely complex riffs, the singer can go from Phil Anselmo to Geoff Tate in one breath, and they KILLED the audience with Painkiller and Raining Blood. I did NOT expect to hear a band, ANY band, ever do a worthy cover of a Slayer song, and I'M THAT SLAYER GUY!!!

Nocturnal Rites were exactly what I hoped I'd see coming to this festival. ANYONE IN A BAND MUST SEE THESE GUYS, AND BRING A PAD OF PAPER TO TAKE NOTES!! That's how you perform in front of an audience! Those guys coulda got Terry Shaivo to throw the horns up! I equate this performance with Edguy at PP3. Easily. It was that damn good. Thoroughly inspiring to see these guys on stage. Their frontman can and will give anyone a run for their money. I honestly cannot tell you who would kick more ass... Edguy or Nocturnal Rites! These are the two bands that I would say set the standard for power metal live performances.

They oughta do an instructional video, How To Rock: Stage Presence and Live Performances. Lesson 1 - See Nocturnal Rites live.

About the venue:
I dug it. Beer tub at the door, with a hottie. Nice long bar, with hotties. Big wide open floor. Tall tables with stools on the sides. Damn fine stage. First stage I've seen with a hardwood floor, great big drum riser, good sized monitors that could take a beating, and good height for the stage so the audience could see. Complaints? The main speakers and their placement. I hope someone can communicate this to Vince Kelley, cuz I mean this in a completely positive way and want him to improve this one aspect. The sound quality was great when I stood back from the stage, but once I was up close, say within 15 feet of the stage, I had a very hard time hearing the vocals. The guitar amps were quite overpowering and made it difficult to hear the other guitarist, especially if you weren't dead center to the stage. What I'd like to see, is one speaker cab pointed inward at a sharper angle, on each side of the stage. As I looked up at how they were configured, they pointed straight to the back of the venue. So there's terrible dead spots in the front up close to the stage. Maybe if he put one speaker in the very center directly above the audience pointed down, it would fix the problem. Aside from the dead spots, the sound was great. Yeah, The first bands of each night had a few problems, like only one bass drum microphone coming through, or band levels between guitars, but they were quickly taken care of. That's what I would consider standard, really, as each band didn't get much time for a full blown sound check. But they were fast at tweaking each band, so Kudos to the sound guy. Last thing to mention, would be the addition of a simple curtain for the stage to conceal things during soundcheck, and allow the bands a more majestic introduction. There's a local bar near me that has a wickedawesome and simple curtain system. I'd gladly get details of how they made their rig work, if Kelley would be interested. And I cannot complain about not having a second room for vendors or talking. Most places I go to for smaller shows don't have that kind of space, and considering this venue is in a strip mall, I'm completely suprised at the size of the place anyways! Super tall, plenty of stage room, and no stupid support columns in the way of everything! So I can't complain about the structure of the venue. They found a reasonable building to do it, and they did a far superior job than I'm used to around Detroit. Speaker placement to fix the dead spots, a low-cost curtain for the stage, and I'd hang out there every weekend!

Minus the five-hour drive. Heh heh.

I'll attend next year, that's for certain! Congratulations to the crazy fools who put this shindig together, it was definitely
metal.gif

There was definitely some sonic funkiness, especially on Saturday. Speaker throw is probably one of the issues, but "softening up" the room a bit would help, too.

(Hell, carpet would help a lot.)

Having the subs under the stage is good, though.

eaeolian said:
There was definitely some sonic funkiness, especially on Saturday. Speaker throw is probably one of the issues, but "softening up" the room a bit would help, too.

(Hell, carpet would help a lot.)

Having the subs under the stage is good, though.

Even a wood floor would soften things up and be more comfortable to stand on for six or seven hours. It would've been nice to open up the upstairs area, for a bail out zone... for those of us that needed to get off our feet.

I first want to say thanks to those who made the powerfest happen.

Am I the only one who thought the sound was muddy and to loud? I'm all for loud music but there becomes a point when it turns into just a bunch of noise. As usual everyone was cool...missed having food.Was spoiled by J.J Kelly's for both the food and sound I guess.
I'll attend next year in the hopes of a better sound but I was disappointed in this years sound.

f33gar0w said:

Am I the only one who thought the sound was muddy and to loud? I'm all for loud music but there becomes a point when it turns into just a bunch of noise. As usual everyone was cool...missed having food.Was spoiled by J.J Kelly's for both the food and sound I guess.
I'll attend next year in the hopes of a better sound but I was disappointed in this years sound.

The sound wasn't very consistent from place to place. Friday was definitely too loud, but actually more consistent...

f33gar0w said:

Totally depended on where you were standing. The room sounded awesome about 20-30 feet back, in the very middle. But if you were up close, it was either muddy in the dead pockets, or getting blasted by the guitar cabinets and you couldn't hear anything else.

I really liked the venue. But with a little extra help from an acoustic engineer, this place could be pimped out better than the Trans-Siberian Christmas Lights Display.

I'll second the notion of carpeting, but not on the floor.... on the walls high up. Very similar to how they do a movie theater. Get some heavy black canvas, and ripple it to give it a regular wavy window curtain shape. Fasten it way up high near the ceiling, and let it end about 8 feet from the ground so drunkards or morons can't reach it, and that'll kill tons of mud and reverberation. The rest will be accounted for once the audience is in there. Then, get some speakers pointed at the front of the stage so people standing up close can hear the entire mix evenly. It won't take much to make those changes, but hanging the carpeting on the walls will be labor intensive.

I also love that the stage is quite centered in the building and is symmetrical to the walls. There's not going to be a lot of off-axis funkiness going on. I loved the place. I wish someone around Detroit would get a well-shaped building and do a proper job converting it to a concert hall. I'm sick of hackjobs in little jewelry stores or restaurants trying to have bands play.

If only I could win the lottery... :rolleyes:

MisterMayhem said:
Ouch. That is painful. inconsistent sound.

It wasn't wildly inconsistent, but it did shift as you moved in the room. It's a new room, so it's to be expected that they don't have all the bugs out yet. Friday night the sound guy handled it by simply overpowering the place, which apparently generated a lot of complaints, since it was simply TOO loud to order from the bar. :lol:

Bryan316 said:
I'll second the notion of carpeting, but not on the floor.... on the walls high up. Very similar to how they do a movie theater. Get some heavy black canvas, and ripple it to give it a regular wavy window curtain shape. Fasten it way up high near the ceiling, and let it end about 8 feet from the ground so drunkards or morons can't reach it, and that'll kill tons of mud and reverberation. The rest will be accounted for once the audience is in there. Then, get some speakers pointed at the front of the stage so people standing up close can hear the entire mix evenly. It won't take much to make those changes, but hanging the carpeting on the walls will be labor intensive.

Agreed. The floor would help to soak up some of the ring, but treatments up high would certainly be better, although much more difficult, and possibly fire code violations.

Bryan316 said:
Totally depended on where you were standing. The room sounded awesome about 20-30 feet back, in the very middle. But if you were up close, it was either muddy in the dead pockets, or getting blasted by the guitar cabinets and you couldn't hear anything else.

Now that I think about it, you're right... I was front and center for Morgana Lefay, and I couldn't understand most of what Charles was saying between songs. I'm not sure if I could have understood the words, because I have them all memorized anyway. :)

I really liked the venue. But with a little extra help from an acoustic engineer, this place could be pimped out better than the Trans-Siberian Christmas Lights Display.

It's a good starting point... I mentioned in my review that the place needs a lot of work before it can be an ideal fest location.

I wish someone around Detroit would get a well-shaped building and do a proper job converting it to a concert hall. I'm sick of hackjobs in little jewelry stores or restaurants trying to have bands play.

really? I've only been to three venues in Detroit (Harpo's, I-Rock, and St. Andrews), but I thought all of them were pretty good rooms... I-Rock is by far my favorite -- what a fun place to see a show!

I moved all over on friday..front,middle and behind the merchandise booth by the bathrooms.I never found a spot where it sounded good. Great bands...just wish the sound matched the band lineup.

f33gar0w said:

Yes...kudos to the promoters, staff, etc. Although I think the audience is there for this fest, somehow the numbers don't support it. I would be willing to bet Chris and others lost their a$$ on this one. Chris doesn't know me, but I congratulated him on the Ion Vein performance as we were watching NR; I then commented on how awesome NR were, and he said something like "how there isn't 600 people in here is beyond me"... not good. Again, I have no idea how this stuff works, but I would've thought there would be more bodies. There were probably more people from out of town than Chicago area, and that doesn't make much sense to me.

Here’s my take on Chicago Painkiller Fest 2006:

First of all Chris & Rob are really getting good at this shit. The fest was like a well oiled machine. Everything was ultra professional and the times in between bands was so fast that you barely had time to run to your car and slam a few beers in between sets ;-) The new venue was really cool and had a great stage and atmosphere. A lot of people are complaining about the sound, but I thought it sounded a hell of a lot better than JJ Kelley’s ever did. The only bad thing was the fact that there are no hotels within stumbling distance… That’s one thing that I always loved about JJ Kelley’s and what made the previous fest so much fun. Being local, this year I decided to commute home each night and missed out on the parties… Oh well, the reason I was there was to see bands and they were all top notch. The funny thing is that I did not really care about any of the headlines (except Biomech.). I am a big supporter of the underground metal scene and thought that all of the opening bands really stepped it up this year.

Friday:

Withering Soul - Unfortunately, I was running late and missed their set. I have seen them many times in the past and they are really cool guys and always put on a great live show, so I’m sure they didn’t let anyone down.

Gracepoint – For me this was the surprise of the fest. I had never heard of these guys before and was really impressed. They were a good balance of heavy, melodic and technical. I was told they are like Dream Theater, which for me is a BIG turn off. But the truth of it is that if you take away everything that I HATE about DT (fairy fruitcake vocals, lack of dual guitars and long unnecessary show off solo sections…) and strip it down into well written and well executed metal songs, you get Gracepoint. I will definitely keep and eye on these guys and pick up their CD.

Agent Steel – Another pleasant surprise for me. The only Agent Steel that I ever heard was some of their really old stuff. At the time, I liked the singer, but thought that the music was a little too cheesy for my taste. Well, there was nothing at all cheesy about their performance at Powerfest. The singer was an awesome frontman and the band was really energetic and entertaining to watch. I might have to go back and pick up some of their more recent CDs… If they are anywhere near that show, I’m sure I’ll get my moneys worth.

Biomechanical – All is can say is “Holy shit! I just saw Biomechanical!!!! In Chicago!!!!!!” Needless to say, this is what I came to see and they did not disappoint. I stumbled across this band several years ago on the internet before they were even signed. I had to order an import of their first CD (“Eight Moons”) from Russia in order to get it. I have been following this band ever since and am glad they are finally starting to get the attention they deserve. There music is VERY technical and they played it live flawlessly.

Eldritch – I was so tired and sweaty after Biomechanical’s set, that I had to relax and have a few drinks (OK… quite a few…) and step outside for a while. Therefore, I missed most of Eldritch’s set. I am not really familiar with them, but from what I saw, they put on a good show.

Saturday:

Mirror Black – These guys are friends of mine, so I am a little biased… Anyway, it was great to see them again and they put on a really good show. It sounds like they have stepped up a notch with their songwriting and it shows. Their set was very entertaining to watch and they seemed to get a great response from the crowd. They are a great band. I am really looking forward to hearing their new CD when it comes out and wish these guys the best of luck with everything they do.

Twelfth Gate – Talk about “The show must go on…!” I have been going to Twelfth Gate shows since they first started jamming together. We’ve done many shows together and they always put on a top notch show. When I found out Scott wasn’t doing Powerfest, I didn’t know what to expect. I mean, come on, it’s Scott Huffman. How the fuck do you replace someone like Scott? Well they did the only thing you could do and find an awesome singer with his OWN sound and put on a killer show without trying to sound like Scott. I was really impressed. I think Red is a very talented vocalist and one hell of a frontman. He dissected the TG material and made it his own. It was weird to hear the songs sang differently. I had to force myself to stop singing along in order to hear what Red was doing. The result was a much angrier, more intense Twelfth Gate, which in my opinion is not a bad thing at all. It was however, very VERY different and I can see why some TG fans couldn’t accept the change, but just based on this one performance, it kicked ass! If this were some unknown band that I never heard of, I would have gone totally crazy (oh wait, I DID go totally crazy --- Ouch my neck hurts…)

Ion Vein – Again, a band I have been following for almost 15 years, turns around with a new sound that is totally different than I am used to. Ion Vein’s set was all new material and I am now really looking forward to hearing their new CD once Kernon finishes working his magic on it. I think going in a heavy direction is a good decision for these guys. Although I didn’t know the new songs, they sounded pretty cool. I was impressed how the singer seemed to have brought everything down an octave. He pretty much sang everything low and saved the high notes for an occasional scream… This really helped them not sound so much like Queensryche and gave them a much more unique sound.

Nocturnal Rites – I am not really a fan of this band and am not that familiar with their songs, but they put on one hell of a show. There performance was unreal. It really made the fest seem like a major event. The energy from the stage was addictive and the crowd was going nuts. I went back to the merch area to buy a CD, but they had like 5 or 6 different ones available, so I will have to do a little research to decide what to buy, but I will definitely like to hear more from these guys.

Morgana Lefay – I was too drunk to watch them last year, so I took it easy and hung around to watch this time around. Unfortunately, a lot of people seemed to take off after Nocturnal Rites, so the crowd what pretty thin at this point. I thought they were OK, but not my cup of tea. They had a few technical difficulties, but in my opinion, handled it quite well. A good solid set to close out a great weekend of Metal!

Again, congrats to Chris & Rob and everyone else involved in putting this show on. It’s awesome that there is a fest like this in my hometown and it keeps getting better and better. :headbang: