Powerfest overall review

Actually, There were a few individual performances I meant to note in my reviews. First was Epicurean's bassist. This guy had amazing energy. He was good and worked the whole stage. Also, with Ion Vein...Chuck is just sick on the drums. I mean seriously, he could put many A-list bands drummers to shame. Also, while I have heard a lot of ppl complain about Allen, I thought he was great. His voice is awesome and his antics are fun. He does what he does to have fun and entertain. All in all, most of the bands had some standout good characteristics, its just that with a few of them, they werent enough to overcome the bad ones.

I actually really enjoyed the whole 3 days. Was a great experience for me. I also enjoyed wearing my $150 worth of shirts to school this week. I had to give a big presentation to the class yesterday so I wore my "Here's an idea...Fuck Off" shirt as an attention getter. My teacher was a little dismayed, but everyone in class paid attention. I hope next year is bigger and better. I might be trying to save and get my friends to save so we can all do VIP next time and further support the show.

OK...some clarification is definitely needed here...

First, let me explain why I went off...regarding Velheru. There have recently been suspensions issued to a couple of the negative/know-it-all/one-up posters who have frequented this board. This was done because it just became too excessive!! We're trying to gain interest for the fest, not give new people (lurkers) an impression that it sucks in any way if they're on the fence about attending. Sorry, but this is completely business & marketing based...and although it would be nice for it not to be, it's quite necessary if we hope to keep building the fest to be bigger & better.

For example...if I were, say, an average or new metal fan (a kid, realistically) who just found out about the Powerfest & wanted to see how it did this year to see if it might be something I'd want to go to next year just to check out some cool metal bands...and I read all these negative criticisms on the forum ACTUALLY HOSTED by the promoters who organize the event, my impression might be that it's not worth my time & money.

So...knowing that at least one of these suspended individuals is devious enough to try to sneak back in under a new alias & the fact that Velheru's FIRST post was negative-jibed just like the majority of that person's posts, I reacted as if it were him, unfortunately (no way to prove it wasn't him). Pissed as hell? Yes. Overreacted? Yes. Justified? I think so. ;) I mean, why else would someone's first post be a negative one. Certainly not a good way to introduce yourself...not to us anyway. And certainly not a good idea on ANY other forum without expecting to get some backlash. Sure, maybe not as harsh as what I gave, but backlash nonetheless. Again, going back to my go-to analogy ;)...you wouldn't go to a new aquaintance's (or friend-of-a-friend's) party/house & start pointing out all the negatives of the party or the accommodations without risking to be thown out on your ass by the host, right?

Velheru, if you are indeed new to this forum, I sincerely apologize for "going off" on you as harshly as I did...although, the message behind what I was saying still holds true in principle.

Now this leads me to my second point for clarification...we are most certainly open to criticism!! HOWEVER! Respect is EARNED!! Not blindly given!! So, for those of you who we know & respect both on this forum & outside because of your continued support of us, the fest & also the scene...and who we've also become friends with over the years...ie. Rob K, Rachel, John B, Annie/Rick, Laura, Dan, Jose, Amber, Rich, Will, booB, Jodi, Vman...just off the top of my head, but many others...we respect your opinion & your suggestions because you have proven to us that your intentions for improving the fest & the scene are truly altruistic & not for personal glory by way of publically announcing your "better" ideas or the opportunity to brag that you know more (or whatever the self-glorifying reason) like some others around here. :mad:

And it's also very interesting that those of you who truly care about us & the fest have a much better tact of how to get your point across when making a criticism, which definitely helps you to get heard & your suggestions taken to heart. The cunt method on the other hand....eh, not so much. :p

So I hope this helps clarify a bit where all this anger & aggrivation came from on our part.

And for the record...regarding the Snappy Weiner crew (Rich, Tony, Amber, etc)...you guys really need to go re-read my post. :p I completely made all those criticisms up (which is why I said I found no fault with them...obviously I was unclear, sorry) only to prove my point & make some parallel comparisons so you would know where I was coming from with my rant. ;) I did NOT mean any of them about your party, but quite the opposite...everything about your party rocked & I had a great time without ANY complaints!! :kickass: Although, I'm not a picky bitch like some. :lol: It's all about having a good time, not about trying to nit-pick what could make it better. :p

I really hope you guys didn't think that any of my previous rant was directed at you. :saint: I apologize if it came out that way.

I had to give a big presentation to the class yesterday so I wore my "Here's an idea...Fuck Off" shirt as an attention getter. My teacher was a little dismayed, but everyone in class paid attention.

:headbang: :headbang: :kickass: :kickass: :devil:

THAT was brilliant.

And for the record...regarding the Snappy Weiner crew (Rich, Tony, Amber, etc)...you guys really need to go re-read my post. :p I completely made all those criticisms up (which is why I said I found no fault with them...obviously I was unclear, sorry) only to prove my point & make some parallel comparisons so you would know where I was coming from with my rant. ;) I did NOT mean any of them about your party, but quite the opposite...everything about your party rocked & I had a great time without ANY complaints!! :kickass: Although, I'm not a picky bitch like some. :lol: It's all about having a good time, not about trying to nit-pick what could make it better. :p

I really hope you guys didn't think that any of my previous rant was directed at you. :saint: I apologize if it came out that way.

Dude....I never once thought you were trying to bash us! After throwing three years of insane parties at that house I totally know where you're coming from on things......but our beer selection seriously did suck....but hey what can ya expect for only a few dollars!

GateXII, It is all cool. Different forums have different personalities and since I didnt lurk on this one I didnt know the personality. I posted raw and to the point because I am new to the scene and this was my first time at the powerfest and thought that it might be good if you heard directly from someone new how they felt about the fest...I honestly wanted to do the whole review in the first post so it balanced out, but it was storming here and after having the rest of the stuff about 3/4 of the way typed, my net crashed and I had to start all over..needless to say I was too pissed off to continue. Sorry if it sounded too negative. I really enjoyed the fest in general and hope you guys keep building it bigger and better. Like I said, I already have several friends that want to go, I am hoping that by next year I can have a whole group of us, like 10 or so that make the trip. We are about 250 miles south of the show so its a pretty good drive for us. Keep up the great work!

you generally DON'T imply that the people running the event are complete fucking morons

I dunno, I've seen 2/3rds of the organizers being complete morons. :lol:

Seriously, though, the original post had a lot of complaints that are common at metal shows, some of which can be fixed (bathrooms), and some of which are a wildcard that's hard to control (crowd size, issues with certain security guards) and some that happen at every venue (high prices). Given the size of the crowd, it sounds like the bathrooms were the only major issue. I'm sorry I missed the first big year after having seen all the smaller ones...

I don't know how anyone can deny that the security guys were especially heavy handed. :OMG:

I think everyone knows it's not the promotors fault, and there are over-zealous bouncers employed at probably most venues like this.

It didn't take me long to notice! At the first pit I got in, the bouncer on hand grabbed my boob HARD while shoving people....:Smug:as soon as he realized I was a girl, he quickly abandoned his shoving post.
I don't care...I thought it was funny as hell!

The security guy (maybe there were 2) in the main pit area most of Saturday appeared to be having a great time knocking people down and against each other. As long as it wasn't me, I thought it was pretty entertaining :loco: (but a couple times it was me, and it sucked).
I'd rather have brute bouncers that get off on the violence, than anyone trying to stop it completely and throwning people out, at least. :headbang: